To Kill a Mastermind....Short review.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

To Kill a Mastermind

Director: Sun Chung

Starring: Dang Wai Ho, Ku Feng, Lau Wai Ling, Wang Lung Wei

Sun Chung stubbornly remains one of the lesser known Shaw Bros. directors. His name does not generally resonate the way that his contemporaries, Chang Cheh and Liu Chia Liang do. This is really a shame because although his output hasn't been as proloific, the quality of each of his films has been the equal of anything done at that studio. Some of the films he's best known for are the superior, melodramatic kung fu flicks, Avenging Eagle and The Kung Fu Instructor, the Billy Chong vehicle, A Fistful of Talons and the gory horror cult favorite, Human Skin Lanterns. Basically if it's a film directed by Sun, it is worth seeing.

This film, To Kill a Mastermind was lensed in 1979 and sandwiched between Avenging Eagle and Kung Fu Instructor. Unlike the other two films, it was not a hit (in fact it bombed) and was until very recently considerecd a lost film with only fuzzy, blurry bootlegs to judge it upon. Fortunately, a better print surfaced on Youtube and is now available in the grey markets. The reason it failed at the Box Office is most likely attributable to the fact that unlike the others, it didn't feature a name actor in the lead. No Ti Lung or Fu Sheng was to be found here. Regardless, To Kill a Mastermind ranks right up there with the others mentioned; as potent a film as anything else the director has done.

The story is about the reformation of the dreaded 7 Evil Spirits Clan. They at one time, ruled the land and now it's leader (played by ever reliable Shaw heavy, Wang Lung Wei) along with some new members has launched a comeback of sorts. Enter General Yang Zhen Yu who is sent to elminate the Clan both from without and within. He has a spy working to sabotage the inner workings of it's members by cleverly staging various ruses, thus allowing distrust to reign in the hope that the Clan will methodically destroy themselves. But even within the elaborate scheming, things aren't as they appear. We're talking double crosses galore, right up utill the finale where the identity of the secret, unseen Grandmaster is revealed.

From this tricky, twisty plot, Sun unleashes an amazing visual feast. His films are consistently some of the best looking of all Shaw epics. One of his strengths is the mise en scene. He brilliantly films his stories with clever use of scenery, shot through wide camera angles, that the conflict itself seems to take on a life of it's own; almost overshadowing the individuals involved. The martial arts choreography though very good, tends to rely on more wirework than that of his contemporaries. This is occasionally distracting, but the fighters and choreography (courtesy of veteran Tang Chia) are extremely sharp, so this isn't a problem.

To Kill a Mastermind is an upper echelon Shaw Bros. kung fu movie that is in desperate need of rediscovering... as is Sun Chung himself.

http://farreachingfilms.blogspot.com/2011_05_01_archive.html

Gd Y-Y :nerd:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RogueWarrior

Pretty much spot on. Its a hidden gem.

Its better then Kung Fu Instructor but not as good as Avenging Eagle.

yes----i agree, this movie is fantastic. only thing that would make it better would be if someone could find the english dub version.

RogueWarrior

Is there is an Eng Dub for this I would have made the Custom DVD and it would be in your hands by now.

*cough* Dragon Missile *cough*

well it always made the lost dub list . there are still dozens of shaw dubs out there that have never surfaced. the LOC has how many listed, and i bet celestial has copies of them all. there's that handful showing on tv in africa-- hardcore collectors have some---and remember that celestial said that no good copy of TO KILL A MASTERMIND existed--yet there it is. just have to wait for something to show.

RogueWarrior
well it always made the lost dub list . there are still dozens of shaw dubs out there that have never surfaced. the LOC has how many listed, and i bet celestial has copies of them all. there's that handful showing on tv in africa-- hardcore collectors have some---and remember that celestial said that no good copy of TO KILL A MASTERMIND existed--yet there it is. just have to wait for something to show.

Track down those Africa TV dubs and send them my way and you will have custom DVD's in your hands in no time.

Loved this film. I've always been partial to the way Sun keeps the camera close and furious before suddenly pulls out to a FAR AWAY static wide for a few moments. It really contextuallizes the action.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Lol, thanks for the free publicity, Golden Dragon Yin-Yang! :bigsmile:

66 Mantis;

Just send the royalty check to my PM box...........................LOL!

Your Welcome.

GD Y-Y :smile:

Kung Foolery

Is there a nice copy of this film floating around yet?

I haven't been here in awhile.

I picked up a copy at Ebay. It's widescreen with subs and good picture quality. This film is a classic. I think its Sun Chung's best work. :nerd:

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I picked up a copy at Ebay. It's widescreen with subs and good picture quality. This film is a classic. I think its Sun Chung's best work. :nerd:

How much did you pay for it? Is it a PURE Celestial or the copy created by some on this forum which has a problem w/ being to fast?

Could you make a copy and sell it if is the better print?

Thanks

GD Y-Y

As there has never been a legit DVD pressing by Celestial --

the Ziieagle rip is the best you'll find and no one should be paying for it.

Plenty of traders have it. Just make a request in the Marketplace section.

When I first learned of this film my imagination took over. There were many comparisons of Mastermind with the ridiculously awesome Avenging Eagle. As a result I was hoping for a film that could rival Avenging Eagle in action and maybe even be as satisfying a story as well. I must say that for me the unknown cast did take something away from this film, I had a bit of trouble trying to keep up with who is who and why I should be vested in any character. In fact at times it felt more like a Chor Yuen clan fiction film than a Sun Chung action film!

With that said I enjoyed To Kill a Mastermind but to compare it with other lesser known Sun Chung films I would rate it below The Proud Youth and Judgement of an Assassin and above Rendezvous with Death.

Just finished watching this movie. I started watching months ago but liked it so I did not finish it right away. :xd: So many of these films move so fast they should come with a scorecard to keep track. Its too bad that this never received a better quality release.

Archived