Great action stars sitting it out

inframan

In reading the other thread on Sammo movies I thought up another topic, why do we sometimes see some of the greatest action/kung fu actors sit out some of the final scenes? I'm thinking of Lam Ching Ying in Eastern Condors and Sammo in Dragon's Forever. Both were present for the final fight but their characters were in a situation where they didn't get any action.

I'm sure there are other examples. Maybe they had injuries while filming?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

I always thought having Yuen Wah as the badguy in Supercop, and then having him do about didley dick in the whole movie was nothing short of a crime. I realise JC was moving away from protracted fight scenes, but still....

Drunken Monk

While he did have a few worthwhile moments, I feel as though Yuen Biao was tragically underused in "Once Upon a Time in China."

Yuen Biao seemed to be underused in too many films....MY LUCKY STARS is probably the most obvious one...Yuen Wah's involvement in DRAGONS FOREVER'S finale is a shame too...Yuen Biao's fighttime in WHEELS ON MEALS is also unsatisfying....

While he did have a few worthwhile moments, I feel as though Yuen Biao was tragically underused in "Once Upon a Time in China."

This is almost all I remember about that film:sad:

Drunken Monk

You could say "Ninja in the Dragon's Den" could have done a lot more with Hwang Jang Lee on board.

He sat out the entire film until he was handed a good but gimmick filled final fight.

Moon Lee in Iron Angels 3. She was only really in the first half of the movie which included all her fight scenes. But I expected her to return for the endfight which she didn't as Alex Fong took on the female boss. I always found that disappointing especially since Moon spent most of the early scenes in the palace with the female boss so it made sense they would meet again.

Archived