A Man Will Rise...

Drunken Monk

It's salvageable!

I think the original point was can Jaa act, which this movie will probably be a good test of. So far the range his movies have required of him go from - angry, really angry, enraged, upset followed by enraged, completely furious. (Which he's damn good at)

So to hear he's going to be showing his comedy chops, which dare I say if they follow the normal Thai formula will involve some slap stick, and the possibility of Jaa having to regularly use the muscles which make a smile, should be pretty interesting.

The funny thing is a lot of people are bashing 'Tom Yum Goong 2' for looking similar to the original and 'Ong Bak'....but I bet by the time a trailer for this comes out there will be people asking why is Jaa doing comedy, he should stick to doing what he does best like in 'Tom Yum Goong 2'!

:xd: Well hey even Stallon had to have his Rhinestone, I'm all for seeing him do something differnet.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tosh, not a fan of Fearless???.....whats wrong with you....:tongue:

I agree most of the people mentioned don't get a chance to show there real acting ability in the action comedy films which is a shame, Sammo for instance is fantastic in Painted Faces and in Heart Of The Dragon.

What concerns me is the REALLY bad western actors used for some of these films, look at the recent Chinese Zodiac, truly awful, why they cannot hire real actors with some experience is puzzling, maybe budget limitations etc.....

Whilst Jackie has never been a great actor but he does have a lot of on screen charisma and presence which something that Tony lacks. That said Tony is far from a bad actor, i've never really watched any of his movies and thought 'man his acting is terrible'. His acting is just....there, you don't really notice it too much. You also have to factor in that for the most part the plots to his movies are fairly flimsy so there isnt a great deal for him to work with. The trade off is that he always puts out quality fight scenes and stunts which is what i watch his films for.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Gordon definitely had fire, he also showed some good comedy chops, he cracks me up everytime I see him shake his ass playing his guitar:tongue:

I still love both these actors, I think a lot has to do with lack of character development in some of their movies, not saying I don't still love their movies, or the rest of the KF universe, but on an acting level would you say they're as versatile as Ku Feng? I managed to train wreck this thread didn't I?:tongue:

I get what you're saying. Ku Feng is impressive. I mean, the guy gave completely convincing portrayals of both kung fu master Wong Fei-Hung and a treacherous midget! Who else can claim to do that?! Can Jet Li play a midget? I don't think so. Can Eric Tsand play Wong Fei-Hung? Nope. :wink:

Tosh, not a fan of Fearless???.....whats wrong with you....:tongue:

As a huge fan of FEARLESS I had the same reaction when Tosh told me this once. But his reasons made perfect sense.

Now according to IMDB seems that Tony Jaa will co-star in Dolph Lundgren's long gestating project SKIN TRADE (about human trafficking, would suit a Thailand setting well).

Lundgren had said in an interview that when Jaa called him for A MAN WILL RISE he offered him to participate in one of his projects in return.

That update on A MAN WILL RISE is worrying...

Tony Jaa Official

No, while I was initially credited for part of the Directing, in fact I was not the Director or Producer. Filming was not completed and what was shot is with the studio that produced it.

The other day I saw a Thai article, the google translation was hinting maybe it was more of a demo to get more money to complete the film. I was already worried since the same company (the one Jaa had troubles with) took so long with his previous film TYG - THE PROTECTOR 2...

One Armed Boxer
No, while I was initially credited for part of the Directing, in fact I was not the Director or Producer. Filming was not completed and what was shot is with the studio that produced it.

Wow, that is news. & it means we've just spent 3 pages talking about a movie that's probably not even going to materialize...unless they go the same route as they did with the Mike B starring 'Dead End', and end up taking the unfinished footage and re-working it into a completely different production.:tongue:

The demo theory sounds more plausible though, it'd be unusual for a movie starring both Jaa & Lundgren to suddenly get the can when 'Skin Trade' is going full steam ahead. I also thought it was a little strange that both movies appeared to be filming at the same time, so perhaps it turning out to be a demo makes sense.

Yet SKIN TRADE is now happening BECAUSE Jaa called Lundgren to be in A MAN WILL RISE and that's when Dolph (who had been working on getting SKIN TRADE made for many years) made a deal with him to be in each other's film. From then on Lundgren worked closely with Jaa's manager to set up the production in Thailand...

EDIT:

Would they have spent that much on a big press conference and big advance marquees only for a pitch demo?

p17ognin17lhjmaf1h5r1nm4gej3.jpg

p17ognaejv17lo1rgaqf019or12mp3.jpg

One Armed Boxer

Twitch recently posted the 'Skin Trade' teaser which has just come out, and in the article they confirm that this movie is not likely to ever be completed -

The second film to pair Jaa with Dolph Lundgren - the first, A Man Will Rise, will likely never be completed or released due to Jaa's acrimonious split with backers Sahamongkol Film.

Source - http://twitchfilm.com/2014/03/tony-jaa-and-dolph-lundgren-trade-blows-in-first-sking-trade-teaser.html

thats funny because on IMDB it says the film is in "post production".. now correct me if im wrong, but doesnt post production mean the film has already been completed? why waste that much money on a cast of Dalph and JAA to shelf the movie?

A film "in post-production" is not "completed". Filming may be "wrapped" but that doesn't mean the film is completed at all (which is when all the editing, effects, , score, sound design and mix are done and locked for good and the movie is ready for "delivery" to distributors).

Regarding AMWR, it's speculation, but I guess the studio will shelve it for a while but they'll ultimately release a version of it.

Archived