The Cannonball Run (1981)

hutchy1111

Guest Markgway

A big hit for Golden Harvest.

I always really wanted to like this film (and its sequel) but I just couldn't (even with that crazy cast).

Chinatown Kid

I remember seeing it as a kid and loving the part where Jackie takes on the biker gang. Can you believe them casting Dino and Sammy as priests! :tongue:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I remember seeing it as a kid and loving the part where Jackie takes on the biker gang.

That scene was a real eye-opener for kids in the USA that grew up mostly just seeing John Wayne style bar brawls with wide swinging punches.

Can you believe them casting Dino and Sammy as priests! :tongue:

Even as a kid I thought that was devilishly funny. :xd:

• Like 1

Loved both films...Jackie apparently got the idea of his outtakes from the hilarious outtakes of Cannonball Run

dZ5QpdM3B30

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
That scene was a real eye-opener for kids in the USA that grew up mostly just seeing John Wayne style bar brawls with wide swinging punches.

True story. I saw this at the theater when it was first released. Just that little dose of Jackie Chan entranced me.

Loved both films...Jackie apparently got the idea of his outtakes from the hilarious outtakes of Cannonball Run

If I recall correctly a lot of Burt's films at the time were doing outtakes in the credits.

Cannonball Run was my intro to martial arts in movies and Jackie Chan. Seems like I always knew who Jackie was, way before any of his films were released on vhs in the US, I think it was from watching CR over and over on cable as a kid.

Got a soft spot for these two,

The first martial arts i saw on a cinema screen was cannonball run 2, while i was visiting my nan way back in the 80`s.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Saw Young Master and Dragon Lord before Cannonball Run, so wasn't exactly impressed with Jackie's moves or amount of screentime in those, but I did love the movies, and still do, though not for his involvement.

Watched these movies at the drive in, good entertainment for their time, a good who's who of Hollywood and beyond(like Joe Klecko from the Jets), a time before every actor/actress had to look like a super model, though to this day I'll never get the sex appeal of Burt Reynolds:tongue:

Cognoscente
On 4/8/2013 at 1:36 AM, sifu iron perm said:

I preferred the sequel.

I would love to know about the behind scenes from both films.

Jackie seemed to have more fun than his first memoir lets on.

The below was taken from the September '83 issue (#165) of Cinemart.

1983 september 165 cinemart.jpg

• Like 3

It's been 40+ years since this film was first released.  I looked at the cast and realized that so many are no longer with us.

• Like 1

I watched Burt in Hooper yesterday, still a great film, and it was sad to think Burt,Brian Keith,Jan Michael Vincent,Adam West ,John Marley are all passed on.

• Like 1

I've never seen the sequel, but I love the first movie. A ton of talented actors/actresses in this one. 

• Like 1