Jim Kelly Interview

Kwok Choi

Can't remember if this interview had already been posted if so forgive me for duplication.

However I would have loved to see the Kelly (Karate ) versus Ali (Boxing) tournament especially since both parties were interested in the fight. Some good info in the piece.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x3393284

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_vs._Antonio_Inoki

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thanks for posting that. It's a very good interview.

I always wanted to meet Jim Kelly. Though I didn't get the chance, thanks to my buddy Gorhama I have Jim's autograph on the art I did of him, and Jim has my art as well. :nerd:

Chinatown Kid

"Man, you come right out of a Comic Book" Who can forget that immortal line. Thats cool he's got your art work of him Bob and I'm sure he was impressed.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
"Man, you come right out of a Comic Book" Who can forget that immortal line. Thats cool he's got your art work of him Bob and I'm sure he was impressed.

Thanks bro. I'm so happy our KFC brother Gorhama suggested that I draw that, and offered to get it to Jim for me. I'm very happy with the way it came out, and having Jim's autograph and inscription on it make it a prized piece of memorabilia.

BTW, Jim actually wrote that line when he signed an art print for Gorhama! :nerd:

Gorhama (a talented artist) also created his own piece of original art that he delivered to Jim too. I'm hoping one day he'll share his piece with everyone in the forum "Art Thread" because I'm sure you would all love it. He generously sent me a print of it, and I proudly have it hanging up in the Temple of the Dragon Monkey.

Gorhama said that Jim was very happy and grateful for the gifts. :wink:

NoKUNGFUforYU

No offense, Ali, or most boxers of the time would have killed him. Almost none of the top point fighters made the transition to full contact, and the ones that did had extensive training in either wrestling (Bill Wallace, Joe Lewis) or boxing (Benny Urquidez) . Yes, a couple of guys here and there (Jeff Smith, for one) but it really stood out how few could actually handle full contact, and most of the names that lasted were not well known point fighters. He also could have been in "I'm gonna get you sucka'" but declined as that would "spoil his image". Bad move. I understand he was really good as a Senior Tennis player though.

Archived