Enter the Dragon- Bolo's Death Scene

thehangman

Does anyone else hate the way his death is edited?

Always seems like its cut to me. You don't really see how he dies.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he dies from that terrible affliction known as "burst balls".

Since seeing ETD I've often called him "ball-o".

It's an awful death scene, I agree.

I've often wondered why it was shot like that.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Does anyone else hate the way his death is edited?

Always seems like its cut to me,You dont really see how he dies

YES! :squigglemouth:

I think he dies from that terrible affliction known as "burst balls".

Since seeing ETD I've often called him "ball-o".

It's an awful death scene, I agree.

I've often wondered why it was shot like that.

:xd: Great.

To me I always thought that they must have shot something that just didn't work. They didn't have enough coverage of him being finished off, and they didn't realize it until they were in the editing room and it was too late.

It seemed like maybe Roper followed up the groin strike with a chop to the head or throat or something, but that it was missing.

yeah just doesnt really sit well with rest of the fight scenes,its a shame maybe was edited after Bruces Death? So thats why it was left like that as im sure Bruce wouldnt have liked the way it had been edited

yeah just doesnt really sit well with rest of the fight scenes,its a shame maybe was edited after Bruces Death? So thats why it was left like that as im sure Bruce wouldnt have liked the way it had been edited

Yeah, Bruce filmed alot of fight footage on Han's court. It was more of a complete film. compared to Game of Death. So there was no need to nitpick all the footage he shot. But it would DEFINITELY have a different cut if Bruce was alive. Wasn't it reported he got sick at one of the post-production sessions for Enter the Dragon?

In both movies, he was still creating and evolving martial arts on film especially the last year of his life.

bb-etd1.jpg

footage3.jpg

footage4.jpg

lee-kickex.jpg

game-hoax1.jpg

I was under the impression that the movie was completed. Bruce had one of his "seizures" while dubbing the soundtrack. That was when he almost died; which was about a month or so before he did. I think the only thing they changed was removing Bruce talking to the abbot after the Sammo fight and in the hall of mirrors with the voice over flashback - which were done after Bruce`s death.

Otherwise, I think the movie was what Bruce wanted. Not that I am speaking for him. But everything was in the can when he died.

Guest Markgway

I always thought that Bolo death move looked odd.

Maybe it was supposed to be the groin kick that killed him, but they added a random sound effect over a cutaway to make it seem otherwise. Death by groin kick not convincing enough? If Warner had any other footage of Bolo's demise I'm sure they would've used it.

I wonder if maybe someone wasn't thinking about a possible sequel? I mean who didn't want to see Bruce fight Bolo, right? The way Bolo's defeat was edited leave's room for the possibility of Bolo living to fight another day in a sequel.

I do think more footage was shot of some of Bruce's fight scenes just judging by still photos that show kicks not featured in the finished film. For instance, there are numerous shots of Bruce throwing spinning back kicks to the body of Bob Wall (even one to the groin... ouch!). Remember the way Bob lifted his leg to jam when Bruce threw his spinning hook kicks? I suspect he was doing so because Bruce's complete choreography would've shown Bob being set up with those lower spinning kicks. There's also a shot of Bruce throwing a sidekick to the body of Lam Ching Ying during the "battle with the guards" that isn't in the movie, as well as shots of Bruce with slash wounds to his leg, from his fight with Han. I assume that stuff was filmed, but Clouse or someone thought they didn't need it.

I wonder if maybe someone wasn't thinking about a possible sequel? I mean who didn't want to see Bruce fight Bolo, right? The way Bolo's defeat was edited leave's room for the possibility of Bolo living to fight another day in a sequel.

I think maybe Bruce was saving his "Bruce vs. Bolo" for one of the earlier levels/fight scenes when he would continue filming Game of Death (I guess bolo was supposed to play a Hulk-like guy).

That, and I don't think Bruce wanted to hog up all the key baddies. After all, he gets to kill Oharra and Mr. Han. I think Saxon needed his main opponent. Who else would he get to fight?

I always wish Ropers Character would of been killed off and jim Kelly would have fought Bolo.i know they did fight in Tattoo Connection tho

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

All these mentions of "death by groin strike" makes me think of Tadashi Yamashita fighting Bolo in THE KARATE 2. If you haven't seen this film yet, please don't read the rest of this post as there are

***SPOILERS AHEAD***...

I have no doubt that hiring Bolo to appear in this film the year after ENTER THE DRAGON was released was not a coincidence. But apparently Yamashita Sensei felt he had to one up Bolo's groin-pulverizing ENTER THE DRAGON demise. He does this by first doing a snapping front kick to the muscle-man's family jewels, pulling his legs out from under him, then punching him in the groin nine consecutive times! :cry: When I first saw THE KARATE 2 I remember thinking "Geez, this guy can't get a break when it comes to genital devastation!" :crossedlips: What's up with that?

Guest Markgway
I always wish Ropers Character would of been killed off and jim Kelly would have fought Bolo.i know they did fight in Tattoo Connection tho

At the time John Saxon was the best known name so of course they had to give him a main villain to fight. I doubt he would've done the movie otherwise.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
At the time John Saxon was the best known name so of course they had to give him a main villain to fight. I doubt he would've done the movie otherwise.

Yes, hard as it may be to believe now, at the time Warner Brothers would never have made a film starring just an Asian lead. That's why one of the early titles considered was THE DEADLY THREE.

I always found the fight lame and a total waste of a good villain.

Bolo always seemed to get the short end of the stick in most fights I've seen of him, I haven't seen every movie he's in but he always gets his ass kicked, for such a big, menacing guy as he was/is he was always reduced to a second tier bad guy that usually gets beatdown before the final fight, Blood Sport is the only movie that comes to mind where he got his due(I haven't seen Chinese Hercules so I'm sure there are more).

Seemed someone like Johnny Wang Lung Wei got way more respect.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I always found the fight lame and a total waste of a good villain.

Bolo always seemed to get the short end of the stick in most fights I've seen of him, I haven't seen every movie he's in but he always gets his ass kicked, for such a big, menacing guy as he was/is he was always reduced to a second tier bad guy that usually gets beatdown before the final fight, Blood Sport is the only movie that comes to mind where he got his due(I haven't seen Chinese Hercules so I'm sure there are more).

Seemed someone like Johnny Wang Lung Wei got way more respect.

In THE KARATE 2 (1974), as I mentioned above, he is one of the main villains and has a very cool fight with Tadashi Yamashita.

You can also see him looking pretty formidable going up against Yasuaki Kurata in the TV series FIGHT! DRAGON (197?). Seems his Japanese screen opponents gave him a bit more respect in terms of letting him show off his skills.

BTW Tosh, if you haven't seen FIGHT! DRAGON, you should pick it up. There's a nice, cheap, English subtitled, R1 boxed set available with all 26 Episodes. Here it is on eBay for $6.47! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fight-Dragon-The-Complete-Series-DVD-/390573169725?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item5aeff99c3d

In THE KARATE 2 (1974), as I mentioned above, he is one of the main villains and has a very cool fight with Tadashi Yamagata.

You can also see him looking pretty formidable going up against Yasuaki Kurata in the TV series FIGHT! DRAGON (197?). Seems his Japanese screen opponents gave him a bit more respect in terms of letting him show off his skills.

BTW Tosh, if you haven't seen FIGHT! DRAGON, you should pick it up. There's a nice, cheap, English subtitled, R1 boxed set available with all 26 Episodes. Here it is on eBay for $6.47! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fight-Dragon-The-Complete-Series-DVD-/390573169725?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item5aeff99c3d

Sweet Bob, I'm ordering Fight Dragon! I'll look forward to seeing a Kurata-Bolo fight! I can believe Kurata beating down Bolo as opposed to say David Chiang lol

Yeah I just watched those Za Karates, he did have a way better fight with Yamagata, and yes the ball busting scene was topped 10 fold:xd:

The thing I find funny is even though Bolo didn't get the screen fighting respect in many of his movies he has lived on more as a cultural icon far beyond his acting days, there's so many Bolo references, especially in rap, he's like the Chinese Chuck Norris.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Sweet Bob, I'm ordering Fight Dragon! I'll look forward to seeing a Kurata-Bolo fight! I can believe Kurata beating down Bolo as opposed to say David Chiang lol

Cool, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a great show to put on, watch an episode, and get a quick karate fight fix when you don't have time to watch a whole movie.

I hear you on the Kurata as opposed to Chiang thing too. :wink:

Yeah I just watched those Za Karates, he did have a way better fight with Yamagata, and yes the ball busting scene was topped 10 fold:xd:

Right?! :xd: Aren't those movies a trip?

The thing I find funny is even though Bolo didn't get the screen fighting respect in many of his movies he has lived on more as a cultural icon far beyond his acting days, there's so many Bolo references, especially in rap, he's like the Chinese Chuck Norris.

That's true. You know a film role has a major impact when the actor, originally named Yang Sze, changes his name to the character's!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Fight Dragon is brilliant, i recently bought the set and watched it all in one go.

All at once?! :smile: You're hardcore man. (As your hair would suggest... :xd:)

I always wish Ropers Character would
 of been killed off and jim Kelly would have fought Bolo.i know they did fight in Tattoo Connection tho

Post of this thread.

:nerd:

I disliked the entire Roper/Bolo fight, to be honest. After displaying so much power against the guards, Bolo is far too easily finished off. Don't mind that Saxon won, but it should have been much more difficult.

And yeah, his death was just odd. Quick, brief cutaway to Han as you hear but not see whatever the death blow was, followed by a sudden cut of Bolo on the ground. That never sat right with me from the first time I saw it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

How you all feel about the Bolo death scene, I feel about the movie as a whole:tongue:

and in The Kicks The Fist and The Evils. I liked him in that movie alot. "Crane Fist!!?? Does it woork??!!":xd:

Archived