Shout! Factory Battle Creek Brawl & City Hunter Double Feature

mpm74

http://www.cityonfire.com/jackie-chan-double-feature-battle-creek-brawl-city-hunter-blu-ray-dvd-shout-factory/

Shout! Factory presents the Blu-ray & DVD for the 3rd Jackie Chan Double Feature, which contains 1980′s Battle Creek Brawl (aka The Big Brawl) & 1993′s City Hunter on Blu-ray & DVD.

No word on extras yet.

Also, they have this DVD which features Eliminators (Conan Lee) and also a Blu-ray for Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.cityonfire.com/the-kentucky-fried-movie-blu-ray-shout-factory/

http://www.cityonfire.com/sci-fi-movie-marathon-dvd-set-america-3000-arena-eliminators-the-time-guardians-shout-factory/

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, a Jackie Chan blu ray release that I do not feel guilty about not buying. (haha) Well, not unless there is some super-duper rare extreme extra that is included. These 2 movies I am happy with just the dvd of.

Can't imagine these looking any better than the Fox DVDs of the Fortune Star transfers... in fact, they'll probably be identical :tongue: But I *will* most likely get the Kentucky Fried Movie blu-ray... "Fistful of Yen", bitches!

Has either one of these movies been released on blu yet? It seems like Japan has gotten everything so far but I can`t remember if these two were a part of the list.

Has either one of these movies been released on blu yet? It seems like Japan has gotten everything so far but I can`t remember if these two were a part of the list.

I actually don't remember those two getting blus in Japan... but let's face it, there's a 99% chance they are upconverts, thanks to Fortune Star.

An odd pairing. Expect the worst.

From a marketing POV, I think pairing Battle Creek Brawl with a decent movie like City Hunter makes sense. From an artistic POV, it would have been well-paired with The Protector.

I hope a future pairing will bring Twinkle Lucky Stars and My Lucky Stars....

And Winners and Sinners and Heart of the Dragon.

Dragons Forever and Wheels on Meals.

Something like that. =D

Guest Markgway

If I had to double them up I'd probably go with these...

The Young Master

Dragon Lord

The Big Brawl

The Protector

Project A

Project A II

Winners & Sinners

Heart of Dragon

My Lucky Stars

Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars

Police Story

Police Story II

Armour of God

Operation Condor

Wheels on Meals

Dragons Forever

Twin Dragons

City Hunter

Police Story 3

Crime Story

Mr. Canton and Lady Rose

Shanghai, Shanghai (OK, it's not Jackie, but it's the closest Golden Harvest film I can think of)

It`s rather odd that the U.S. gets a world first concerning Jackie Chan. But, then again, all of these Fortune Star blu releases have had rather weird release patterns.

Japan has pretty much all the old school Jackie movies; and they have been out for a while now. But, so far, HK has only seen The Young Master, Operation Condor (Armour of God II), Wheels on Meals, Miracles, Police Story I,II & III, Project A I & II, Dragon Lord and Dragons Forever. And, more recently Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars and My Lucky Stars. Weird, that they haven`t even released Armour of God yet (in HK).

The U.S. has only seen some of the edited versions of these movies released by the big saviors of Asian cinema - Miramax/Echo Bridge(sarcasm). But, now, we are getting CIty Hunter and Battle Creek Brawl before anyone else? What`s left? Twin Dragons?

I hope that Shout Factory can keep the pairings sensible. It does suck for those of us wanting to have our collection in chronological order.

I think it would have made more sense to release City Hunter and Crime Story together since they were closer in release dates. But, it also makes sense that CS and The Protector were together because they are the more serious JC entries. Hope someone there knows what they are doing. But, City Hunter and Battle Creek Brawl don`t make sense to me as why they were paired together. Perhaps Battle Creek Brawl and Miracles would have been good together since they are set around the same era. Both 20s/30s/Gangster oriented. But City Hunter is an off-the-wall kind of fantasy film.

On 2nd thought, I just remembered why SF might be pairing up Battle Creek Brawl and City Hunter. They both feature a fight in a movie house. haha. RIght? :tongue::tongue::tongue::bigsmile:

If I had to double them up I'd probably go with these...

The Young Master

Dragon Lord

The Big Brawl

The Protector

Project A

Project A II

Winners & Sinners

Heart of Dragon

My Lucky Stars

Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars

Police Story

Police Story II

Armour of God

Operation Condor

Wheels on Meals

Dragons Forever

Twin Dragons

City Hunter

Police Story 3

Crime Story

Mr. Canton and Lady Rose

Shanghai, Shanghai (OK, it's not Jackie, but it's the closest Golden Harvest film I can think of)

Man, you beat me to it. haha. While I was typing what I just wrote I closed out and went back in and you already had the pairings listed.

I would like to have seen The Big Brawl with Miracles. I was ok with The Protector and Crime Story. But, I could see them doing Twin Dragons and Heart of Dragon together because of the twins and brothers family theme.

Guest Markgway

Frankly if Shite Factory gave us proper HD transfers and subtitles they could pair them any which way they like. For those of us hoping that the Crime Story/The Protector debacle was a teething problem, Police Story has proven a particular disappointment. I think the only way we'll see genuine HD transfers is if a major studio snaps up the rights in Europe. That's extremely unlikely though as there's no real money in it.

Frankly if Shite Factory gave us proper HD transfers and subtitles they could pair them any which way they like. For those of us hoping that the Crime Story/The Protector debacle was a teething problem, Police Story has proven a particular disappointment. I think the only way we'll see genuine HD transfers is if a major studio snaps up the rights in Europe. That's extremely unlikely though as there's no real money in it.

Doesn`t matter which side of the pond we are on. The outcome is the same. We are stuck with what we have. We`re screwed! The best U.S. versions released, as par as pq is concerned, were butchered. HKL had their problems too but at least they had some great extras. CineAsia went out of business. And, I think you are right about there being no money in it. Others have said, its gonna take an millionaire that is willing to get the films and remaster from the original 35mm prints(if they even still exist)...and expect to loose money on it. I wonder how many people would be willing to throw out millions releasing some blu rays?

I wished that someone would sit Jackie and Sammo down and show them the blu rays of their movies. Don`t know if they would even care but unless they step in and remaster from the original film elements themselves then probably nothing is going to happen.

Maybe the real question is: How much longer will physical media last? You know there is a problem if the only way you can sell something is if you put 2 or 3 movies on one disc. I guess that is what they have to do to be profitable.

So, from the review I found on Blu-Ray.com, it appears these are upscales, with BRAWL looking like shit and CITY HUNTER looking better but not true HD. Does the mono soundtrack for BRAWL contain the original foley F/X? Does the Cantonese soundtrack for CITY HUNTER contain the original foley, and are the subtitles well done? Are the lyrics for the song Gala Gala Happy subtitled?

Well, I can answer my own question now.  BATTLE CREEK BRAWL actually looks way better than I expected considering the reviews I read.  I'll take it.  CITY HUNTER also looks better than I've ever seen it, not bad at all, if not superlative.  All the foley effects for both films sound like the originals to me, except for the addition of gimmicky machine gun fire in the surrounds on CITY HUNTER, which is unfortunate but not a dealbreaker.  I'd be perfectly okay with this release IF the Gala Gala Happy song in CITY HUNTER were subtitled...but it's not.  What the fuck.  Absolutely inexcusable.  I believe the only release of this film that subtitles the song is the old Tai Seng VHS, yes?  That's the first way I saw this, and the song with subtitles is MUCH funnier, with references to Marky Mark, New Kids, Harley Davidson, etc.

Anyone have a clip of the song with subtitles?

Archived