Three Outlaw Samurai.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Three Outlaw Samurai.

I got this from my local library.

Watched it last night.

Simply Awesome :xd:

What are some other movies from the director Hideo Gosha?

I did see Sword of the Beast another great one from Hideo.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

What are some other movies from the director Hideo Gosha?

I'm a big fan of HUNTER IN THE DARK.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I'm a big fan of HUNTER IN THE DARK.

Thanks for the suggestion KFB :wink:.

GD Y-Y

I also really like Sword of the Beast and Three Outlaw Samurai (who doesn't?). I'm a big fan of Gosha's early work, but felt he went off the rails later on.

Continuing along the early Gosha samurai tip, I'd highly recommend Samurai Wolf Parts 1 and 2, and Goyokin.

It's an excellent film, even though the inferior Hong Kong remake (no offence to Chang Cheh fans) is better known.

Like yakuza suggested, early Gosha films all vary from good to masterful. Anything between 1964 and 1979 is worth a watch. My personal favorites are, excluding Three Outlaw Samurai:

1. Hitokiri (Tenchu) (1969)

A brilliant, emotionally brutal samurai film shows Shintaro Katsu (Zatoichi) as a swordsman willing to do anything to gain his boss's attention. Beautiful and disturbing movie, and one of the best samurai films ever made.

2. Cash Calls Hell (1966)

A terrific film noir by Gosha, starring Tatsuya Nakadai. Again cinematography is brilliant

3. Violent Streets (1974)

Gosha goes Fukasaku in this stylish yakuza film that is one of the best in the genre. The slow motion violence echoe Sam Peckinpah and some scenes could be from a late 70's / early 80's Dario Argento movie.

4. Goyokin (1969)

Another brilliant samurai movie, this time set in the middle of snow and ice. Toshiro Mifune was originally hired, but he quit because the shooting conditions were too gruelling for him.

5. Samurai Wolf 1&2 (1966 & 1967)

If Sergio Leone was stealing from Kurosawa in a Fistful of Dollars, then this is a glorious payback by Gosha: a spagetti samurai film. Well, two actually. Both are very short, very stylish, and very entertaining.

Bob's recommendation, Hunter in the Dark, is also a solid one.

Cloud Hands

Goyokin is essential, it's as good as Three Outlaw Samurai, if not better.

Tenchu, Samurai Wolf, Sword of Beast are the other Gosha's I've seen. All very good, but for me in a tier below Goyokin & Three Outlaw Samurai.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Thank you all for your in depth analysis.

Much appreciated.

GD Y-Y

Don't forget his Tange Sazen movies - Secret of the Urn and The Pot Worth 1,000,000 Ryo, the latter with the great Nakadai as Sazen!

waywardsage

I'm a huge Hideo Gosha fan. My favorite film from his is Goyokin. Tenchu is also a huge favorite of people. I really enjoyed Samurai Wolf and The Secret of the Urn as well. If you watch all of those you'll see some of his best work.

Top 5

1. Hunter In The Dark

2. Tenchu

3. Goyokin

4. Onimasa

5. Violent Streets

The list changes around a lot, but man was he a great director. I loveeeeee Hunter In The Dark. A near perfect film in my eyes.

Archived