Game of Death - Integral version

newgen2005

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sifu iron perm
Sounds interesting, never heard anything on here about it!!

have you searched for it on the net?

This is on YouTube guys and a lot of work has went into it.

The editor has put together all available 1978 footage and then added the three pagoda fights from the 1972 cut.

He has panned and framed these scenes in such a way that James Tien and Chieh Yuan don't appear.

Would I watch it? Not a chance but I'm not easily pleased lol.

CWRoYHoKFs4

*slowly raises hand* I was the one who made this :tongue: In fact, I made this nearly a decade ago, when the Fortune Star master of Game of Death came out. In retrospect, my editing skills at the time were pinch wonky. I've contemplated making a new, more streamlined/seamless version over the years, but it's been tricky.

*slowly raises hand* I was the one who made this :tongue: In fact, I made this nearly a decade ago, when the Fortune Star master of Game of Death came out. In retrospect, my editing skills at the time were pinch wonky. I've contemplated making a new, more streamlined/seamless version over the years, but it's been tricky.

Wow, I am actually speaking to the editor :tongue:

I have yet to give see it but I am sure it is a masterpiece! :bigsmile:

Wow, I am actually speaking to the editor :tongue:

I have yet to give see it but I am sure it is a masterpiece! :bigsmile:

I appreciate it, but I'll be the first to admit that it's not a masterpiece :tongue: I would say, however, that it's better than the '78 versions, but that's an easy feat :xd: But as I mentioned before, my editing skills were still in their infancy, right down to not de-interlacing the Fortune Star transfer AND not properly converting the footage from the HK cut from PAL to progressive NTSC. I'd like to think I've come a long way since then :wink:

I like it! But I always hate the "tatty trainers" shot when Billy picks up the nunchuck case!

Yeah, it's too bad that was the only way to get from shot to shot to keep Chieh Yuan out.

Like I said, I've been wanting to do a new version for a while that would feel more streamlined. The thing about the "2004 Edit" I made is that I shoehorned the Artport Bruce Lee in G.O.D in several segments (opening credits and locker room fight), when now I feel like I should've tried harder to keep the John Barry version of the theme AND edit said theme into the extended finale footage. Basically I should've tried harder to make it seem like this edit could've been made in '78.

I`ve just flicked thru it again (i`ve seen that many fan edits i couldn`t remember which one it was ), I like it and i really like the way you did the end, why they didn`t do that back in 78 is beyond me.

I`ve just flicked thru it again (i`ve seen that many fan edits i couldn`t remember which one it was ), I like it and i really like the way you did the end, why they didn`t do that back in 78 is beyond me.

Thanks! I basically did my best to figure out how to combine the ending of the original footage with the ending from the HK cut for a less abrupt ending in comparison to the US cut.

Just uploaded the re-worked title sequence to the fan edit i made.

I_JDxAU7e2E

Hmm, I'm very intrigued about this. So what's the concept behind this cut?

Just uploaded the re-worked title sequence to the fan edit i made.

I_JDxAU7e2E

Very good indeed!, thanks for the upload!! Just need to see the rest now :smile:

sifu iron perm
the story is about Dr land and Co kill chin koo because he won`t join them, so billy sets out to get revenge.

I used Game of death 1 & 2, Enter the dragon.

Shukocarl and a few others gave it a nice review here, when i first made it.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14099&highlight=game+death

Oh yes i have this, loved it!

Too bad Golden Harvest didn't choose to finish BL`s G.O.D. They pretty much had the script. All the actors were still alive and within the same age. All they really needed to do was perhaps bring in another script writer to polish things a bit. Maybe expand the role of some of the other actors to fill in for the scenes that Bruce may have written for himself. They could have just used the complete fight footage Bruce shot. We would have had the log sequence. And, they could have used a double for Lee if it was just behind the head shots or side shots where they did not have to show his face in non action scenes. Of course, there was the Enter extra footage and perhaps some extra footage or unused closeups from WOTD, perhaps. Of course it would not have been the complete vision Bruce had in mind but at least they could have tried. Make it a tight 90 with the 30-40min Bruce footage.

Having said that, I do like the story in The Game of Death that we ended up with but it should have stared someone else. It could have been a good movie. As it is, I can`t stand to watch it.

But, on a side note...It would have been classic to have the Billy Lo character start off looking like Bruce Lee then fakes his death and comes out of plastic surgery looking like Sammo. Then have Sammo finish the movie doing his BL impression that he did so well in Enter the Fat Dragon.

Too bad Golden Harvest didn't choose to finish BL`s G.O.D. They pretty much had the script. All the actors were still alive and within the same age. All they really needed to do was perhaps bring in another script writer to polish things a bit. Maybe expand the role of some of the other actors to fill in for the scenes that Bruce may have written for himself. They could have just used the complete fight footage Bruce shot. We would have had the log seequence. And, they could have used a double for Lee...

Having said that, I do like the story in The Game of Death that we ended up with but it should have stared someone else. It could have been a good movie. As it is, I can`t stand to watch it...

I agree with your initial point. They could have hired Ho Chung Tao to be Lee's shadow, retained Yuen Wah as his acrobat double, since Lee previously employed him as such, and brought Taky Kimura over to finish his pagoda level... Under Sammo's action direction he'd have survived. Chieh Yuan died in 75' so he'd been available if production resumed in 74'.

Now, about the story they ended up using... I hate it! The reason being primarily, Chow initially told people Lee had no script or story available; (we now know it was more than likely KEPT from him, by Lee.) However, the "rising MA /Filmstar, being pursued by The Underworld" story arc-to me, struck a tad too close to home, for me.

Factor in these elements:

He has a Caucasian girlfriend (who also happens to be in the business)

Drives a Mercedes

Walks around town in Ray Bans and flowery Italian Designed Fashions

Has a journalist confidant by the name MARSHALL (Lee's attorney's name was Adrian Marshall)

Accidents on movie sets-set-lights falling, nearly smashing the star-(mimicking the possibility certain accidents during ETD may not have been all that accidental)

Lastly, the inclusion of the star's actual corspe in the final cut-beyond comprehension!

Boy, the more you think about it, they really stunk it up!

:sad:

Exactly! If they would have just taken the basic idea of Game of Death theatrical and had it star someone else with no BL connection at all, I think it would have made a good movie. But, the way that it was handled was a little on the shady side. However Bruce really did die got lost in the hysteria of his death. The triads certainly played up the angle that they got to him. "And hey, if we can get to BL then we can get to you!". And, of course, Raymond Chow would play up the sleazy side of it. It sells tickets. It sells a lot more tickets. Just a sad end for such an iconic star.

is this alternate version of GOD uploaded anywhere now a days? read about it on imdb and was curious to watch it, and that's how i found this thread and site :-)

Archived