Nowhere to Hide (1999)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Last Thursday the Korean Culture Office here in Sydney screened the movie 'Nowhere to Hide', which was in fact the first Korean movie I ever saw, now over 10 years ago! As with most of the directors work, it's a movie which splits people down the middle in their opinion. I posted my own thoughts here -

http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/review-nowhere-to-hide-1999.html

nowhere04.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Excellent blog entry/article as usual brother. Thanks for sharing that.

This film absolutely thrilled me when I first saw it. I have since watched it many more times as I share it with friends, and it is still always a thrill. To me the assassination scene is a mini masterpiece, with the shouldn't-work, but totally does Bee Gees accompaniment. The film also instantly made Ahn Seong-gi one of my favorite actors. :nerd: It's certainly a style over substance movie, but that doesn't mean that it's only style. It's not just an empty exercise in "cool". You do get caught up in the characters and the simple, but compelling plot.

And we're certainly not alone in our admiration either. This Korean film has reached people far and wide. I'll never forget the day I walked into a little suburban deli, and the guy working the counter asked me about the OLD BOY shirt I was wearing. We struck up a conversation about Asian cinema and the first thing he asked was- not about Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, or Jet Li, but "Did you ever see that tripped out joint with the dude wearing the floppy hat, where they have the mad brawl in the rain?" I instantly knew he meant NOWHERE TO HIDE. We started talking up the film, and the next thing you know two other workers and a truck driver customer were all asking "What's this film called? Where can we see it?" I love it, and I hope they all watched it and loved it too. :wink:

When I took my only trip to the Toronto Film Festival (thus far), the first film we saw was Myeong-se’s DUELISTS. Not only was I getting to see a new film from the guy that made NOWHERE TO HIDE, but I would be seeing it in 35mm, and the director was there! I was really psyched to see it, and I was all geeked out about it. He introduced the film, and I was... ugh, absolutely disappointed to the max. :neutral: I didn't enjoy the film at all. And even though I felt really rude (I bowed politely to show my respect as I backed quietly out of the theater) I decided I'd much rather catch a film (any other film) in a different theater than hear the director's Q&A about a film I kind of hated. :squigglemouth: So I feel you on this one too. Ha haha.

Looks like based on your recommendation I'm going to be seeking out his film M.

Thanks for another great article. :bigsmile:

For all you cats that haven't seen NOWHERE TO HIDE, give this one a look. It's available subbed and dubbed, and uncut in official releases in the UK and the US, and can be rented in most video stores and through Netflix.

One Armed Boxer

An unlikely combination - a commercial for the fashion store Giordano, featuring Korean actress Jeon Ji-hyun, inspired by the final fight from 'Nowhere to Hide'. Somehow though, it all works! -

a0MgwO4jBMY

Only in Korea will they have a commercial where a male hits a female.

Man, JJH never loses her cutiness!

Nowhere to Hide was one of the first Korean movies I've ever watched (or was it Siri?)

One Armed Boxer
Man, JJH never loses her cutiness!

Agreed, although it should be pointed out that commercial is actually from 2007!

Nowhere to Hide was one of the first Korean movies I've ever watched

Likewise...I've never looked back!

Archived