Prodigal Son or Magnificent Butcher

fatcat

I cant make up my mind which movie I like more. I think choreography wise I like Sammo's Prodigal Son a tiny bit more, although the end fight in Woo Ping's Magnificent Butcher gets me really excited and has me bobbing and weaving, but that may be because I LOVE how Lee Hoi San plays his character!! Im rooting for the guy by the end fight!Then again, Lam Ching Ying blew me away with his performance also!:ooh: Idk, what do you guys think?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, it's not even close. Prodigal Son is my 2nd fave Sammo directed film after Eastern Condors and a contender for best period kung fu movie ever. I always though Magnificent Butcher though good, was way overrated.

Come to think of it, it was the Yuen Clan and not Sammo who directed Butcher, right?

For me, it's not even close. Prodigal Son is my 2nd fave Sammo directed film after Eastern Condors and a contender for best period kung fu movie ever. I always though Magnificent Butcher though good, was way overrated.

Come to think of it, it was the Yuen Clan and not Sammo who directed Butcher, right?

WOw! Eastern Condors?? Id like to see that:wink:

why do you have to choose? I like em both. Simples.

Youre absolutely right, but for some reason this question has been eating away at me for too long :tongue: The AWESOME bunch here will surely shed some light on things I probably havent considered. For me these movies are favorite and 2nd fav, just want to know the order.:bigsmile:

oneskyforall

For me it is Prodigal Son hands down.

Magnificent Butcher was good but I was a little bored at times.

But, Prodigal Son and Warriors Two are 2 of my favorite kung fu flicks of all time so I am a little biased against anything else ;)

Thanks, Im going to order a hard copy from 20th Century Fox. The reviews say it has been edited from original, but itll be cheaper than my lunch was today. Id like to hear if anyone knows of a clean, clear, COMPLETE, dubbed, version available.

I think the only edit in the film is a line of dialog. Otherwise, don`t remember anything missing. Not sure if it was a mono or down mix. The movie is available on blu, R3 and R2 dvd. Like normal, though, there is no perfect copy. Not sure what others think is the best version.

If a choice has to be made:

1) Prodigal Son

2) Magnificent Butcher

Now, if Warriors Two had been included on your list then that would have taken the #2 spot. Together, Prodigal Son and Warriors Two make a great trilogy. (haha)

I agree with Mantis 66 that Prodigal Son is a contender for the best period kung fu movie ever.

PRODIGAL SON and MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER sizeably differ from each other...To choose between PRODIGAL SON and WARRIORS TWO would be more interesting...I guess i would vote for PRODIGAL SON...but just by a whisker...

I think the only edit in the film is a line of dialog. Otherwise, don`t remember anything missing. Not sure if it was a mono or down mix. The movie is available on blu, R3 and R2 dvd. Like normal, though, there is no perfect copy. Not sure what others think is the best version.

The r2 uk release is missing the snake scene cut for animal cruelty

Magnificent butcher,I liked Warriors 2 but Dean Shek spoilt it for me

I'll second that, for me Warriors Two could've been the best kung fu movie ever but then Dean Shek fights in the final reel. What was Sammo thinking?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Sammo jumped on the kung fu comedy bandwagon just like everyone else, probably hard to get a project greenlit at the time without a fair doze of buffoonish canto comedy and slapstick shoehorned into it.

The best version is the German dvd. Fortune Star remaster, with original mono (good quality and in sync) and English subs. For a fan I recommed the Hong Kong Legends as a second version just for extras (I have them both, too) but for the film the German is the way to go.

edit: I just realized we're talking about Eastern Condors, not Prodigal Son. But my comment is still valid, as the exact same specs apply to the German Eastern Condors dvd, and again a collector might with to have HKL as a second copy for more extras.

Prodigal Son is also one of my favorite kung fu films of all time, though I'm not a huge Sammo fan. Never liked Warriors Two that much.

Guest Markgway

Even including Warriors Two... Prodigal Son is still the best of the three.

Eastern Condors is my fave Sammo movie, but then it's not kung fu so not much point in comparing, IMHO.

Thanks guys, a few mentioned Warriors Two, I remember thinking it was allright, but it didnt make nearly the impression MB or PS did, may have to revisit that one,

Hard to choose between the two. Both have good story, comedy, training scenes and excellent fight choreography. I can't decide so I'll say both of them!

has to be Butcher (not just coz it's about my si-tai-gung), but it's long been my favourite non-shaws kung flik, the finale is one of the finest in shapesplay history, never thought Sammo has looked better handplay-wise, not to mention cat teacher, or the twelve bridges training...THIS is what kung fu movies are all about

but Prodigal comes pretty close, one of Sammo's finest directed movies ever, even though I should hate it coz it really ended up killing off shapes movies....and that fight between Lam Ching ying and Frankie...WOW!!!

Yea, I think I may enjoy MB a tiny bit more. For me there is a bit of a lull before the end of PS, I LOVE the ending of MB!!:bigsmile:

Archived