Shout Factory gets even lazier with The Big Boss/Fist of Fury

OldPangYau

Just found this review today:

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?2946-Bruce-Lee-Double-Feature-Big-Boss-The-Fist-Of-Fury

Sooo... I read for a while that Shout obtained the rights to the Golden Harvest Bruce Lee films, and apparently this is the first result of that acquisition. And it's just... meh. The transfers don't look too different from the Fox/Fortune Star ones, even slightly "pinkified"?!

But the biggest error of all, and virtually inexcusable these days... English only?!?! :neutral::ooh::squigglemouth: I mean, yeah, I want the classic dubs and all, but ONLY English?! Come ON!

And on top of that, zero extras. Now, I could've sworn I read that Shout was also going to release blu-rays by summer, but after seeing this, I'm not too positive on how they'd turn out. Seems like Shout Factory is putting all of their efforts into their "Scream Factory" releases, and nothing else :sad:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being charitable

They have released the DVD to look like a pile of shite, so that the Blu Rays look much more attractive.

Being cynical

The Blu Rays are handled as bad as the DVDs.

Being charitable

They have released the DVD to look like a pile of shite, so that the Blu Rays look much more attractive.

Being cynical

The Blu Rays are handled as bad as the DVDs.

Seriously, they haven't been released English-only since the early days of DVD and Fox's initial "Master Collection" series. I would hope that this is indeed leaning more towards your former theory in that this is just a temporary "holdover" until the blu-rays.

Guest Markgway

Let's hope this is some sort of bizarre contractual fulfilment and will not impact on the upcoming Blu Ray set.

Oh, and I see our old friend "the pinkification process" is back in business.

Not sure what's worse for Feng I: the sword in the back or that terrible case of facial sunburn.

Honestly, I see no reason to buy the same few Bruce Lee movies over and over like this. It's Shout Factory's attempt at making a quick buck and nothing else.

Does Shout Factory actually remaster their releases? that was a serious question by the way!

I don't see the point in companies obtaining the rights to these films and not offering anything different, I mean look at the sleeve artwork, people at home could produce better!!

Surely by know everybody owns these films, so how do they expect to make any money out of these poor releases!!

Companies need to read these forums and find out what people actually want! I know sometimes people ask too much but at least give us something different!

Oh, and I see our old friend "the pinkification process" is back in business.

Not sure what's worse for Feng I: the sword in the back or that terrible case of facial sunburn.

Does Brian White now work for Shout Factory?

the transfers on the blu-rays when they arrive will be the fortune star ones available elsewhere now. there might be different extras and maybe better audio options but the transfers will be identical.

Let's hope this is some sort of bizarre contractual fulfilment and will not impact on the upcoming Blu Ray set.

That's the only thing I could think of... I wouldn't be surprised if there are certain copyrights on sound tracks as well.

As for the blu-rays, I don't know what to expect now :ooh:

Secret Executioner
Sooo... I read for a while that Shout obtained the rights to the Golden Harvest Bruce Lee films, and apparently this is the first result of that acquisition. And it's just... meh. The transfers don't look too different from the Fox/Fortune Star ones, even slightly "pinkified"?!

But the biggest error of all, and virtually inexcusable these days... English only?!?! :neutral::ooh::squigglemouth: I mean, yeah, I want the classic dubs and all, but ONLY English?! Come ON!

And on top of that, zero extras.

Next step: no chaptering and no menu. Basically, it will be like watching a good old VHS. :tongue:

the transfers on the blu-rays when they arrive will be the fortune star ones available elsewhere now. there might be different extras and maybe better audio options but the transfers will be identical.

French Blurays differ vastly from the HK Blurays for these... BIG BOSS is an SD-Upscale in France, FIST OF FURY has completely different colours and is cropped much more. WAY OF THE DRAGON is a bad SD-Upscale also and looks much worse than the already ugly HK-Disc.

French Blurays differ vastly from the HK Blurays for these... BIG BOSS is an SD-Upscale in France, FIST OF FURY has completely different colours and is cropped much more. WAY OF THE DRAGON is a bad SD-Upscale also and looks much worse than the already ugly HK-Disc.

Do you own the French Blu-ray's?

xqefEH.jpg

I've never heard of any of the blu-rays of these three being upconverts, as they're usually from the same true HD source. That makes me nervous for the potential US blu-rays of these films :sad:

Do you own the French Blu-ray's?

yep. the Set is only good for having the entire HK-Version of Game of Death in proper SD-PAL-progressive Quality. the rest is for the Trash bin.

Guest Markgway
Shout releases what ever they are given by the studio.

I've always found that defence something of a cop out... along the lines of 'we were only following orders!'

Just dug out my French box set and yes WOTD does appear to be a different transfer, strange why they didn't use the normal Fortune Star used on the K&R Blu-rays!

Here are some caps from the French Blu-ray.

2768290a2afe4c3cbebcf0e.jpg

7f040d599ef64ef793fe2bb.jpg

e4326d76d0e04a99b08dee6.jpg

fa895762eda34265991c107.jpg

549e50e1a09a461ca50666a.jpg

a846c83548df488a83dc773.jpg

1de00c5cf69c42219746364.jpg

Here is the K&R Blu-ray

89573602.jpg

50382552.jpg

46155889.jpg

way3.jpg

way1.jpg

way9.jpg

50258037.jpg

RogueWarrior
I've always found that defence something of a cop out... along the lines of 'we were only following orders!'

I heard the Shout Factorys release of Ultraseven actually were sourced from Thailand and did not come from Japan due to the silly lawsuit Tsuburaya is involved with a Thai company.

The quality is very noticeable too. I have the Japanese releases too and their pic quality is sharp. The Shout versions are a poor compared to the Japanese release.

here are the dfferences for FIST OF FURY

1d1f50165829119.jpg 4e8e31165829134.jpg

left HK , right France

Interesting to see the difference between the two! Strange why the French editions are different to the rest!!

I'll admit, the colors on the French FOF blu look better (you can actually see the light bulbs in the background and NOT blown out), but yeah... cropped.

As for WOTD, it just looks like an upconvert of the Fortune Star produced DVD with a bit of "pinkification" :ooh:

Come on Criterion, get these movies! :tongue: I doubt that'll ever happen, but DAMN would the transfers be gorgeous.

And the French WOTD doesn't have a water paint effect!

I think this is the best we are going to get, well for a few years anyway! :ooh:

Archived