Could we ever had imagined a day with all the Kung Fu on Youtube?

gfanikf

Granted the title is a vast exaggeration, but who could have thought...even just 3 to 5 years ago that super rare movies (and even really common ones) would be turning up on youtube in one complete file (no movies chopped up into 10 parts). Granted it's still fans and collectors uploading them in the first place, but it's still pretty amazing when you think of it.

I have to say I do have very mixed feelings about the whole thing when fans upload things properly paid for and licensed and easy to find, as it only serves to discourage more companies for licencing kung fu and new wave, but then again I'm starting to wondering if in the next 5 years it's going to be 65% or more digital only releases. Heck knows I would have never predicted being able to get Demon Strike by simply typing it in to Youtube!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really annoys me, to be honest. I'd love to elaborate but I would just go on forever. I'm sure I'm not the only that feels this way though.

masterofoneinchpunch

In a way it is extremely annoying. Three films I saw in the last week on DVD (Ol' Dirty Kung Fu, The Incredible Kung Fu Master, Snuff Bottle Collection) all have better versions on youtube. Now the Ol' Dirty Kung Fu on there is the UK DVD Rarescope version so that's probably an illegal download (is it?).

The good is that I was able to see Pedicab Driver on youtube, the bad is that I would rather have it on BD/DVD.

Youtube makes it a bit difficult to report illegal downloads. I believe they will only take a complaint if you have the legal rights to the material. I'm surprised that youtube doesn't get sued more often.

It really annoys me, to be honest. I'd love to elaborate but I would just go on forever. I'm sure I'm not the only that feels this way though.

Yeah, it's one thing when it's an old VHS or something we no one has any clue who the hell owns the rights, but when it's some new movie or something that is cheap and easy to get it's kind of annoying. I mean I don't want to seem down on trailers or fight clips.Granted I think the ability for legit companies to sell digital (and for reasonable prices) will help. If I could get Kid with the Golden Arms via Amazon Video or Itunes for a fair price in good quality I know I'd own it, but contracts may prevent it. I know it would have to be a lot better than a Youtube rip.

In a way it is extremely annoying. Three films I saw in the last week on DVD (Ol' Dirty Kung Fu, The Incredible Kung Fu Master, Snuff Bottle Collection) all have better versions on youtube. Now the Ol' Dirty Kung Fu on there is the UK DVD Rarescope version so that's probably an illegal download (is it?).

The good is that I was able to see Pedicab Driver on youtube, the bad is that I would rather have it on BD/DVD.

That kind of nicely sums up the dual nature of it.It is always weird to see better versions on Youtube, when you had no idea a better copy existed.

I

Youtube makes it a bit difficult to report illegal downloads. I believe they will only take a complaint if you have the legal rights to the material. I'm surprised that youtube doesn't get sued more often.

That is correct and they do remove things from copyright holders (which gives them DMCA protection...well they argue that). For Youtube legal issues look up the Viacom case. Suing Google is not an easy thing, they have immense resources at their disposal.

Secret Executioner

I'm not a fan of watching movies on youtube. Excerpts, reviews or trailers are all I can take. I wanna see the full movie ? I'd much rather buy it on a physical format (DVD).

I can honestly say I wouldnt be here if not for youtube. If I had to choose titles without seeing some part of the movie, I wouldve been over it a LOOOOONG time ago, sucks to say, and Im sure there are people who think this place would be better without me, but thats how I got here.:bigsmile:

odioustrident
I can honestly say I wouldnt be here if not for youtube. If I had to choose titles without seeing some part of the movie, I wouldve been over it a LOOOOONG time ago, sucks to say, and Im sure there are people who think this place would be better without me, but thats how I got here.:bigsmile:

If kung fu on youtube is bringing in new fans then it needs to continue.

Yes, it might be nice if a super-rare film that’s not available on DVD turns up on YouTube. Problem is that nowadays everything turns up there. Which leads me to believe that more than rampant DVD piracy, possibly even more than clusters of "fan“ blog sites & download portals, YouTube is the main reason why the entire industry specializing in niche product such as MA films is going belly up.

I would also object to the often peddled nonsense that YouTube is creating a “fan base” for KF films. This might be true in isolated cases, yes, but in general YT can not be given credit for the growth of a substantial fan base that will buy movies and give back something to the culture they purportedly support. The vast majority of people simply want to see a film for free, nothing else. For most of these consumers the oftentimes abysmal quality of a lot of YT content (only bearable in a stamp-sized PC window) is also apparently not a reason to acquire a better version of a film they’ve been introduced to afterwards.

Because if people were converted to “the cause” via YT, if a real “fan base” would take shape through this medium, we wouldn’t be witnessing the total wipe-out of brick & mortar retailers, online-stores and DVD / BD publishers specializing in Asian films. I think this is a tragedy and I for one would happily endorse any, even the harshest legal measures to block the access of copyrighted product on YT.

To me “fans” who upload their entire collections (and especially new, easy-to-get films) on YouTube so that others can “share” are at best insanely naive nutters and at worst simply intentional thieves of intellectual property.

thedirtytiger

6, 7 years ago I was saying what you are saying now about all the gits selling and swapping their bootleg copies on here and I was basically told to shut the hell up and *&^% off. The fact of the matter is that boots kill the business. When your movie is on the net to download for free a week after the god damn dvd is released, why bother ?!?! Internet downloads are the reason Vengeance and Rarescope closed doors and they still had untold rares prepped and ready to go that now will never see the light of day. It is incredibly sad.

Guest Markgway

Youtube quality is always poor though and no substitute for a decent DVD.

I can only imagine that if someone downloads a movie from Youtube they probably wouldn't have bought an original in the first place.

Secret Executioner
Youtube quality is always poor though and no substitute for a decent DVD.

Some videos are okay, but I have to agree that it can't compare to a DVD release. Even a DivX rip is better - in my book - than a youtube upload.

Some videos are okay, but I have to agree that it can't compare to a DVD release. Even a DivX rip is better - in my book - than a youtube upload.

I agree. Never been one to watch a whole film on the puter or other small screen device. Need to see my flix on the big 40." However, I feel YT is a great asset to our community. It gives us the opportunity to see what other films are out there, it helps others find films they haven't seen in years and having a visual to refer to is always a benefit in our discussions.

Drunken Monk

You Tube is both an asset and a hindrance. Take "Chinese Zodiac" for example. As a fan of the genre I ordered my DVD copy from DDDHouse and currently await for its delivery.

In the meantime every less scrupulous "fan" of kung fu cinema has downloaded it, watched it and discussed it into the ground.

There's a distinct feeling that if you don't illegally download or sit in front of You Tube, you're missing out. The genre is somehow passing you by. I hate that, especially when I'm trying to support it by giving it my hard earned money.

But You Tube is a potential fans' wet dream. Imagine watching, say, "Fearless" and then heading to You Tube. In minutes after pulling up Jet Li clips you're in a rabbit hole of kung fu gold. Through one click you can be introduced to Sammo, Lau Kar Leung etc. It makes everything so accessible.

Of course, the nostalgic curmudgeon in me longs for the day where people had to research what films they were buying by purchasing duds. Hell, I my first kung fu watch was "Drunken Master" and my first purchase was "Shaolin Red Master." It wasn't exactly what I was looking for!

But You Tube is a fantastic tool. It does bring about interest but it also limits established fans of the genre in other ways as well as the genre itself.

Uploading whole DVDs of recent releases is questionable. But people will do what they want.

That's what I have the most issues with, I mean in the last few years most hong kong action and kung fu movies have actually been getting released to the US (and other major markets) rather quickly. It's not like finding an uncut version of a movie that's only been released on a super OOP VCD. I mean Hong Kong Adam's Family (which EVERYONE here should see) is quite different than one of the Ip Man movies.

I agree. Never been one to watch a whole film on the puter or other small screen device. Need to see my flix on the big 40." However, I feel YT is a great asset to our community. It gives us the opportunity to see what other films are out there, it helps others find films they haven't seen in years and having a visual to refer to is always a benefit in our discussions.

If you rocked a 6 hour daily commute you would! :P Like I said I do recognize the value, but it definitely has some very real and tangible downsides too.

You Tube is both an asset and a hindrance. Take "Chinese Zodiac" for example. As a fan of the genre I ordered my DVD copy from DDDHouse and currently await for its delivery.

In the meantime every less scrupulous "fan" of kung fu cinema has downloaded it, watched it and discussed it into the ground.

There's a distinct feeling that if you don't illegally download or sit in front of You Tube, you're missing out. The genre is somehow passing you by. I hate that, especially when I'm trying to support it by giving it my hard earned money.

Jeez you weren't kidding about Chinese Zodiac! Then again I've found that newer Chinese Ghost Story on too and it was a Blu-ray rip! It's pretty crazy considering how new these movies are and that it's being uploaded as one whole file and not futzed around with to beat Youtubes upload scanners.

But You Tube is a potential fans' wet dream. Imagine watching, say, "Fearless" and then heading to You Tube. In minutes after pulling up Jet Li clips you're in a rabbit hole of kung fu gold. Through one click you can be introduced to Sammo, Lau Kar Leung etc. It makes everything so accessible.

I agree it makes it a lot easier to try and introduce new fans to the genre.

Of course, the nostalgic curmudgeon in me longs for the day where people had to research what films they were buying by purchasing duds. Hell, I my first kung fu watch was "Drunken Master" and my first purchase was "Shaolin Red Master." It wasn't exactly what I was looking for!

Saw Rumble in the Bronx...went out and rented Battle Creek Brawl :tongue: I also got a VHS pack of the Lo Wei films (which were the assiest prints around). I would have preferred Youtube then! lol

If you rocked a 6 hour daily commute you would! :P Like I said I do recognize the value, but it definitely has some very real and tangible downsides too.

Good grief. You doing a PA to NY deal?

I thought my old commute of 5 minutes which now is 25 minutes was a bear! :tongue:

Btw, hope the lil one is doing well....

Good grief. You doing a PA to NY deal?

I thought my old commute of 5 minutes which now is 25 minutes was a bear! :tongue:

Yep via NJTransit at the moment, but I am looking for work closer to home.

Btw, hope the lil one is doing well....

She's doing quite well, she was enjoying the opening kata part of Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin last night. Hope yours is doing well too.

She's doing quite well, she was enjoying the opening kata part of Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin last night.

Hope yours is doing well too.

Nice.

M has been busy -- we have two now.

The elder just started TKD classes @ daycare.

The Silver Fox

I guess I'll play devil's advocate. I'm glad people are downloading tons of kung fu on YouTube-I've spent thousands on my dvd collection and I definitely prefer to have a legit,physical disc in my possession but alas,my employment situation is dire so I don't have extra cash to spend on movies so if it's on YT I'm watching it.

Archived