Showdown in Oakland: The Story Behind the Wong Jack Man - Bruce Lee Fight

andy338

Killer Meteor
Mr Muriyaki.

Played by the Chinese actor David Chow, I believe.

The same who did the fights on the first season of Kung Fu?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sifu iron perm
Played by the Chinese actor David Chow, I believe.

The same who did the fights on the first season of Kung Fu?

Yep that's him.

the linda Lee in TMTM was pretty spot on.

Killer Meteor
Yep that's him.

the linda Lee in TMTM was pretty spot on.

I think she had two lines, but a good lookalike. Most other films, Chinese or American, turn her into a bomb bombshell.

sifu iron perm
I think she had two lines, but a good lookalike. Most other films, Chinese or American, turn her into a bomb bombshell.

there was a time where i could recite the dialogue of that film line from line. Pure entertainment.

whatever happened to the fan made version? I lost touch with the process of it all..

The japanese version with english dub is on adc.

It just stalled on here , I don`t think the person who was doing it had anything to do with the version on adc.

sifu iron perm
The japanese version with english dub is on adc.

It just stalled on here , I don`t think the person who was doing it had anything to do with the version on adc.

oh, i see, thanks.

Drunken Monk

I think the idea that Bruce was booed adds a lot to the human aspects of his character that were lost in legend. I'm not exactly a Bruce naysayer but I don't care for the sycophancy that surrounds his filmography.

I like the fact that he may have been cocky. If you see him in interviews he speaks with a manner worthy of attention. He's bold, forward and sometimes even brash. He had honour in his boisterousness if that makes any sense.

He was a proud man that's for sure. He was willing to back up his mistakes (kicking the guy when he wasn't ready) with an all out challenge. That's not pomposity in my eyes.

when did this take place?

was it before the ed parker event?

I believe it was a few months after the Ed Parker event that the kung fu demonstration at the Sun Sing Theatre took place where Bruce allegedly issued the challenge and the fight took place two or three weeks after that. The author estimates it was late autumn 1964 however he says that Wong Jack Man mentioned in a 1980 article that it was late winter, bearing in mind that Linda was heavily pregnant and Brandon was born February 1st 1965 it's roughly around that time.

sifu iron perm
I believe it was a few months after the Ed Parker event that the kung fu demonstration at the Sun Sing Theatre took place where Bruce allegedly issued the challenge and the fight took place two or three weeks after that. The author estimates it was late autumn 1964 however he says that Wong Jack Man mentioned in a 1980 article that it was late winter, bearing in mind that Linda was heavily pregnant and Brandon was born February 1st 1965 it's roughly around that time.

Cheers Andy.

sifu iron perm
3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Brilliant post my friend! This was short but informative, really cool!

13 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Brilliant post my friend! This was short but informative, really cool!

Have you listened to this audio interview clip before?.

This  book was one of the first to identify the real reason for the bad blood between Lee and the SF Chinatown martial art community, but totally drops the ball on the description of the fight between Lee and Jak Man --  in this fantasy, the fight lasted nearly 20mts with Bruce taking more damage than Wong.

The thing to remember is that while the Sun Sing theater demo was the catalytic event for the challenge, in truth, the rivalry had been brewing for a while after Bruce  published  his book 'Chinese Gung Fu: The Philosophical Art of Self-Defense"  in which he deconstructed and ridiculed the techniques of T.Y. Wong , a senior martial artist in the Chinatown community who had a history with James Lee.

The most plausible version of the fight is this :

Lee spent too much  time attempting to straight blast Wong, who stayed protective and backpedaled, moving spastically and deflecting Lee's blows which landed without much impact. Because the studio was small, Wong was essentially moving around in circles until he tripped and Bruce finally pounced on him. Both men winded, Lee demanded he give up and  Wong acquiesced rather than continue.

The lesson learned : a straight blast only works if you can close the gap and stay within that proximity.

2 hours ago, Alan C said:

in this fantasy the fight lasted nearly 20mts with Bruce taking more damage than Wong.

Sounds even more impressive than the two Hollywood versions of the fight, featuring Jason Scott Lee or Phillip Ng.

sifu iron perm
8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Have you listened to this audio interview clip before?.

oh shit!!!

never heard this clip before..

props.

21 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

oh shit!!!

never heard this clip before..

props.

I think that pretty much clear's up what BL thought of his opponent in the challegne match. Not to mention the other Teachers/Master's who were around in the U.S back then.

The mayor (himself an avid martial artist) wanted a plaque placed on the site of the old studio in time for a martial arts tournament he hoped Oakland would host later this year. The tournament is off, but the Landmark Advisory Commission is still considering making 4175 Broadway one of the city’s cultural heritage sites.

The discussion is more significant than a piece of brass on the wall of a car dealership. Finding the best way for the city to acknowledge Bruce Lee’s time in Oakland would provide a sorely needed precedent for recognizing other cultural contributions made in Oakland, said Dan Schulman, a member of the Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board. From events as significant as the drafting of the Black Panthers’ 10-Point Program in North Oakland in 1966 to less-weighty moments like the invention of the Mai Tai at Trader Vic’s at 65th Street and San Pablo Avenue three decades earlier, Oakland needs a method to officially recognize its past.

Bruce Lee in Oakland

Link- https://boingboing.net/2010/09/13/bruce-lee-in-oakland.html

I recently did a search online regarding Jeet Kune Do(JKD), and didn't realize just how many different varied Schools of JKD there are now. A the local Martial Art's school signs I've seen, nearly all carry the letters JKD on them somewhere. Alongside the abriviation MMA. Wether Bruce Lee wanted it or not, it's become a commercial product to sell.

The Original Oakland Jeet Kune Do kwoon (school) was developed by SiJo James Yimm Lee and SiJo Bruce Lee (no relation) in James Lee's garage. Together they worked on developing a martial arts system that was fully encompassing. It had internal arts (qigong and iron palm) along with external arts (fighting prowess). It was a system that was developed to work against all other systems.
SiGung Felix Macias Sr. was a direct student of James Yimm Lee and had several closed door sessions with Bruce Lee. Sifu Felix Macias Jr. learned from his father and continues to evolve the art while maintaining the structure that it's founders created in Oakland, CA. It was never about adding everything under the sun, rather it remains a system that strips everything down to the essentials. Leaving only what works.

Original Oakland jeet kune do

Link- http://jkdoakland.com/

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I recently did a search online regarding Jeet Kune Do(JKD), and didn't realize just how many different varied Schools of JKD there are now. A the local Martial Art's school signs I've seen, nearly all carry the letters JKD on them somewhere. Alongside the abriviation MMA. Wether Bruce Lee wanted it or not, it's become a commercial product to sell.

The overall standard of Jeet Kune Do is an absolute joke. Most of what is being taught and passed off as JKD bears no resemblance to what Bruce envisioned. 

NoKUNGFUforYU
9 hours ago, fabhui said:

The overall standard of Jeet Kune Do is an absolute joke. Most of what is being taught and passed off as JKD bears no resemblance to what Bruce envisioned. 

I believe Bruce would have kept changing the arts. We can only imagine him seeing fighters like Benny the Jet and so on doing full contact and that would have further influenced him. Also, the Gracie family was doing no holds barred matches in Brazil against other clubs in violent matches in Bruce in the 1940's and on. I am not saying that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the be all end all, but I've seen a ton of people switch to it.....

5 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I am not saying that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the be all end all, but I've seen a ton of people switch to it.....

Bill SuperFoot Wallace talks Gracie, UFC and the birth of MAA, he did the commentry for the first event.

Archived