Showdown in Oakland: The Story Behind the Wong Jack Man - Bruce Lee Fight

andy338

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id really like to learn more about this fight, it seems like there are a lot of stories.I need a regular book though.

shaolin swords

im very interested in this book to see who really wins the fight does any body know if there a regular hardcopy of the book instead of the ebook you have to download

thanks

im very interested in this book to see who really wins the fight does any body know if there a regular hardcopy of the book instead of the ebook you have to download

thanks

Well, Im pretty sure we know who WON the fight, but I want to know details of the fight, moves and styles seen, how long was the fight, Did Wong Jack Man really turn and run at one point? Considering it is said he initiated the fight , I hope not, That seems like an utter disgrace.

shaolin swords

well if theres any truth in the bruce lee movie wong jack man was useing tiger style.and me too i want to know more details of the fight how long did it last.i read some where on some website when i was looking for the book.in the book it says that bruce lee was really trying to kill wong jack man with the strikes he was useing and styles.and also this is what they said on the website that the fight lasted about 20-25 min but thats really hard to believe thats a really long time to be fighting

hope i get my hands on a copy soon:wink:

Wasn't Linda Lee present at that fight?

I have heard yes, in pieces of info Ive found. Wonder how shed describe it, would like to hear a description from a fighter. I think 15 people actually saw the fight.

sifu iron perm
Shannon Lee will probably tell you she was also at this fight.... LOL....

along with steven seagal.

greenbamboo

everyone thinks linda saw the fight because the official story of bruce winning in 3 mins originated from her 1975 bio. this book claims that she never saw the fight as bruce sent her outside because she was pregnant with Brandon at the time. George lee was with her outside the school when the fight happened. any eye witness said they were pulled apart whilst on the floor so no one won.

Hmm.. May never know the truth. Too many stories. My guess is it wasnt as spectacular as I had it in my head.

Still haven't read it yet but it was interesting to note one of the reviewers question why the fight took place in the first place, I've always heard that it was because Bruce was teaching non-Chinese students however it seems to suggest that Wong Jack Man also taught non-Chinese so this does seem a little strange. Bruce was obviously young at the time and it's common knowledge that he was quite arrogant and hot-headed with little respect for his peers, could it be that he provoked the challenge match and that Linda Lee has re-written events to make him sound more heroic and less of a bully?

Interesting reading so far, the book suggests that teaching foreigners had nothing at all to do with the fight taking place and speculates that this was something that Linda Lee came up with later. According to the author non-Chinese were being taught kung fu around that time by a number of teachers in Chinatown so what Bruce was doing wasn't anything special, if people were turned away from a school it was usually because the Sifu felt that the person wasn't of good character but this applied to Chinese too - it wasn't to do with race.

The book states that the match was actually fought due to an incident involving Bruce giving a demonstration at a theatre in Chinatown, apparently he was showing the audience his power and kicked a volunteer holding a pad expecting him to fly backwards but the guy hardly moved so Bruce then hit him a second time when he wasn't ready knocking him down. The guy complained about this lack of sportsmanship from Bruce and the audience were unimpressed and sneered (some even flicked cigarette butts), this angered him and in his temper he said to the crowd that if anybody else could do better then they should come up and try. He then went on to say that he could beat anybody in the area and that he would fight any who challenged him.

If this is true and it was Bruce's comments that instigated the match then when Wong accepted it's because he felt he should respond out of a sense of honour rather than him particularly wanting to fight. I feel this really does change the complexion of the whole event and it's certainly interesting to hear how others perceived things instead of the bullshit version of Bruce's life that Linda Lee has come up with.

OpiumKungFuCracker

So it was that douchebag holding the bag who started all this? Flicked cigarette butts??? Who on earth would be pleased with that? Bruce Lee died at 32 and he was a young guy at the time, can you really blame the guy? I'm pro Bruce all the way, Bruce Lee could be a Nazi if all I care..

So it was that douchebag holding the bag who started all this? Flicked cigarette butts??? Who on earth would be pleased with that? Bruce Lee died at 32 and he was a young guy at the time, can you really blame the guy? I'm pro Bruce all the way, Bruce Lee could be a Nazi if all I care..

I'm a huge Bruce Lee fan too and I think that hearing about his flaws helps us to understand him better as a person as opposed to the "superstar" image of him that has been largely created by Linda Lee. I've found this book to be very even-handed in explaining events pointing out at this time that Bruce was still very young and could be bad tempered which was a trait that he became more aware of and tried to control in later years. There is also an explanation put forward for Bruce's comments that led to the match suggesting that he was merely trying to promote his school in order to recruit new students rather than directly issuing a challenge to any individual but this could have been misinterpreted and then at a certain point it became impossible for either side to back down and so both sides were actually reluctant participants. Depending on which side you look at it from it still looks to be no more than a misunderstanding between proud young men confident in their martial arts abilities and it's a shame that people felt the need to sensationalise the whole thing and turn it into something else entirely.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Sooo what you're all telling me is that Johnny Sun didn't kick Bruce in the back, breaking it, in the underground chinatown dungeoun..... wow, I feel so misled!

Sooo what you're all telling me is that Johnny Sun didn't kick Bruce in the back, breaking it, in the underground chinatown dungeoun..... wow, I feel so misled!

LOL, The thing is it's hard to believe anything that Linda has said after you start to dispel the myths, some are far more obvious than others but it certainly makes you think.

OpiumKungFuCracker

He got him back by beating him in under 60 secs:tongue:

TibetanWhiteCrane

Honestly, I think Dragon- The Bruce Lee Story as a purely dramatic piece works pretty well, as a martial arts movie... not so much, and as a bio pic... not even close!

He got him back by beating him in under 60 secs:tongue:

And then just for good measure he beat up his brother too while filming the Big Boss.:bigsmile:

Killer Meteor

Bruce Lee The Man The Myth, ficticious as it is, does seem to present Bruce more accuratly in the sense of him being a cocky show-off. Note that film's "Japanese" Wong Jak Man stand-in teaches to Westerners.

sifu iron perm
Bruce Lee The Man The Myth, ficticious as it is, does seem to present Bruce more accuratly in the sense of him being a cocky show-off. Note that film's "Japanese" Wong Jak Man stand-in teaches to Westerners.

Mr Muriyaki.

Archived