Second Shout Factory Jackie Beginnings DVD in June

Guest Markgway

My problem's always been that I don't have that extra money to spare - not that I can justify when we have a perfectly workable blu-ray player at home (that was a gift). I asked about my current model blu-ray and whether it was hackable on these very boards some time ago, and I was told that it wasn't hackable.

I'm sorry I brought up not having an all-region player. I didn't realize I'd be ganged up on for mentioning it. (That may not have been the intention, but that's what it feels like.)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We in the US can't play anything released by HKL without an all-region DVD player, which is not a feasible option for me (and it's not just because of cost), so I'm out of luck on that end.

That's an American thing... in Europe all TVs and DVD players can play both PAL and NTSC. Only once in my life I have seen a TV that coundn't play NTSC... and that was a TV from the 1980's...

Also, I think every serious movie fan in Europe has region free player. I got my first region free player when I was 14. That's why especially Europeans are so puzzled that how come even in today's modern age people in USA struggle with these issues... we had these problems in the 1980's...

TibetanWhiteCrane

Very true, Takuma....

Im always dumbfounded that we're still having this conversation in 2013. Never had a PAL/NTSC issue in my 35 year old life, and never had a region locked dvd player out of the 10 to 12 players i've gone through over the last 15 years or so.

Here we go:

xUspiWb.png

Killer Meteors:

pTx7ABU.png

iNY2dOu.png

VG1kdVf.png

New Fist of Fury:

DeyZrG5.png

N0kTwr8.png

ceGHhMM.png

Both films only have one audio track which is an english dub. No subtitles at all.

English dub only...dear oh dear.....Shout Factory don't have a clue...

I think we should just give up on the perfect Kung Fu Blu-ray! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Guest Markgway

English dubs only!?! Oh, come on!

Why don't they just piss on these films for good measure (actually judging from the print damage, they may well have done...)?

NEW FIST OF FURY is the very edited Version i guess, eh? And the Dubs are 5.1 nonsense downmixed to 2.0? the shots look like the remastered Japanese DVDs, so these are from the "HD Masters" by Fortune Star. yes, the piss stains are on the Bluray Upscales too! got FEARLESS HYENA JP Blu here, horrible piss stained & Upscale. and 5.1 nonense only.

i wonder if these Double Feature DVDs will sell well...? i figure, as the much better old DVD of NEW FIST is long out of print.

I think we should just give up on the perfect Kung Fu Blu-ray! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

This is about as close as you'll come:

10552_medium.jpg

My problem's always been that I don't have that extra money to spare - not that I can justify when we have a perfectly workable blu-ray player at home (that was a gift). I asked about my current model blu-ray and whether it was hackable on these very boards some time ago, and I was told that it wasn't hackable.

I'm sorry I brought up not having an all-region player. I didn't realize I'd be ganged up on for mentioning it. (That may not have been the intention, but that's what it feels like.)

I understand not having much spare cash but having a multiregional player is really essential if you're a fan of kung fu/martial arts/Asian action cinema. You don't have to spend a fortune and it opens you up to a whole world of releases, literally. Look at all the titles you could purchase yourself from outside the US and consider the new DVD player an investment. An alternative could be using your PC and connecting that to your TV?

Secret Executioner
I understand not having much spare cash but having a multiregional player is really essential if you're a fan of kung fu/martial arts/Asian action cinema. You don't have to spend a fortune and it opens you up to a whole world of releases, literally. Look at all the titles you could purchase yourself from outside the US and consider the new DVD player an investment. An alternative could be using your PC and connecting that to your TV?

I have many imports and I couldn't agree more. I'm surprised people don't at least unlock the players or have free software like AnyDVD that let you watch stuff from any Region.

(being in Europe I have R2 players so I can enjoy alot of material without issues but being able to play some R1 or R0 releases is welcome. I don't have R3 releases yet but who knows, I may get into that someday...)

The dub is a stereo one, although It doesn't say anywhere and I'm only going by the fact that VLC says that under audio channels.

The runtimes are 1:44 for Killer Meteors and 1:22 for New Fist of Fury

@xChri5x: just checking for 2.0 doesnt say if an Audio Mix is Stereo or Mono. you gotta listen to it via headphones and check for Sounds not coming right from the Center. (or via a Dolby System where you hear stereo separations)

waywardsage

This was the way to go a few years back. But honestly, with file sharing and various other sources online, you can build a media center PC and build your ultimate library and save TONS of physical space.

This was the way to go a few years back. But honestly, with file sharing and various other sources online, you can build a media center PC and build your ultimate library and save TONS of physical space.

of course if you're not intending to actually purchase anything it is.

Which is the exact reason that quality DVD and Blu ray releases have dried up, if people just illegally download it all, then it will just kill it off totally.

Which is the exact reason that quality DVD and Blu ray releases have dried up, if people just illegally download it all, then it will just kill it off totally.

It is far to easy to download stuff these days! some ways it is good and some ways its bad! To be fair though, half the new stuff isn't worth the discs they are burnt on!! Plus greedy companies like Apple don't help! charging stupid prices for digital downloads, and kick you in the teeth with DRM! :(

Archived