Rigor Mortis (2013) - Hopping Vampire revival!

MonkeyFu

gwailosforever
It is an ultra-stylish and visually phenomenally compelling film, no doubt. On top of that the entire cast excels here, haven’t enjoyed an ensemble performance in a HK flick as much much as this in a long time (well, since GALLANTS really!). Especially Paw Hei-Jing, Peter Pau’s sister, simply steals every scene she’s in and proves once again that she’s a character actress that’s up there with the very best in the world!

I felt the FX work was generally appropriate for a film of this sort, I do wish however that they made the CGI look a lil’ more “realistic” during the final showdown between Chin Siu Ho and the vampire and Paw Hei-Jing’s suicide.

Still, I will admit that for a what’s sold as a reboot of classic HK horror / ghost story tropes I was hoping for some of that wicked black humour, that mad mixture of creepyness and comedy that set HK horror films apart two decades or so ago and made ‘em so damn’ addictive even to non-horror geeks like myself.

Unfortunately Director Juno Mak stayed clear of that element, but still RIGOR MORTIS is one of a half dozen or so films made in HK in 2013 that ought to be required viewing for everyone and should make some of the HK cinema naysayers here & elsewhere.wake the fuck up!

Anyhow, Grim Reaper, I think it would be helpful for people interested in the film to point out that the HK Deltamac Blu Ray (the only choice to see RIGOR MORTIS at the moment!) is a pitch-perfect release! Awesome PQ plus flawless, properly timed subs. The highly illuminating 'Making Of' special is subbed too (actually director Juno Mak and “vampire” Richard Ng even discuss the film in English!) and even the trailer comes with subs. Not the slightest reason in other words to find excuses not to buy it and wait for some R1 or R2 release.

I watched this last night and LOVED it! Everything I was hoping for and more. I have to be honest I watched it on a high quality illegal download, but I do want to purchase it. I'm in England so will the HK Blu-Ray play on my player? Also the version I saw some of the English subs were very quick and unreadable. You say the Blu-Ray subs are perfect?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I watched this last night and LOVED it! Everything I was hoping for and more. I have to be honest I watched it on a high quality illegal download, but I do want to purchase it. I'm in England so will the HK Blu-Ray play on my player? Also the version I saw some of the English subs were very quick and unreadable. You say the Blu-Ray subs are perfect?

Well, I only remember one instant when the subs were programmed a bit hurriedly and that was during the conversation in Anthony Chan's food shop, when the dishes the different customers habitually ordered were enumerated breathlessly fast. Otherwise I didn't notice no hitches. The HK disc is region 'A' locked. I do think however that any self-respecting Asian movie buff should invest in an all-region or at least in a region 'A' BD player nowadays. Otherwise you will get left behind... and soon! Region 'B' releases of HK/Chinese/Korean films will definitely diminish more & more. Given the current state of the market in Europe for Asian films I think this prediction is easy to make!

Watched it last night. Decent flick. Could get nitpicky with somethings but overall a decent flick. It was cool using some of the original actors from Mr Vampire. I hope this doesn't start a new trend of HK horror flicks being churned out haphazardly.

Watched Mr Vampire right after. Enjoyable watch with some good fight scenes.

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this tonight, and have to confess that in the case of this movie I may have been a victim to my own ignorance. After a brief teaser trailer, and then reading that it featured Chin Siu Ho playing a down and out version of himself, all wrapped up in a homage to the hopping vampire moves of the 80's, I decided to ignore everything else and let myself enjoy the surprise.

Sadly for me, the surprise was a damp squib. I may have been a victim to my own expectations, however as much as 'Rigor Mortis' does indeed feature Chin Siu Ho & hopping vampires, it's about as far away from the context of the original 'Mr Vampire' movies (& its countless copy cats) as you can get. In fact when it states that it's a homage to that certain genre in the HK golden era, it's strictly in the sense of there being a Chinese vampire and nothing more. Gone is the kung-fu element (the movie is essentially action free with the exception of a couple of minutes) & the comedic elements (of which there are zero), and instead, we have a movie which is much more in line with Japanese producer Takashi Shimizu, who directed 'The Grudge' movies.

Perhaps knowing this before viewing I could have enjoyed it more, but I mean come on, Chin Siu Ho versus a hopping vampire, am I so guilty for expecting some horror kung-fu action based on this combination!? I would say no, but for people to get the most out of this movie, it's much better to approach it as an art-house horror pic. Indeed the fact that Chin Siu Ho is playing himself has no impact on the plot or characterization of other cast members at all, he could be anyone, so I'm not exactly sure what writer & director Juno Mak was aiming for with his reality based character references, because none of them mean anything to the overall plot.

Based on everyone else's mostly positive comments, perhaps I should give this a second chance with adjusted expectations, however my reaction after the initial viewing is that of a rather plodding tale of a haunted apartment building, of which none of the residents are given enough pathos to really give a damn about.

PS This thread was created almost a year ago and has yet to be moved to the Hong Kong Cinema forum, seriously mods!?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Its playing in Minneapolis starting today.

Should I see this?

Your thoughts please.

After reading One Armed Boxer's review I am not so sure now.

That's one strange poster.

rigor-mortis-watermarked.jpg

GD Y-Y

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Its playing in Minneapolis starting today.

Should I see this?

Your thoughts please.

After reading One Armed Boxer's review I am not so sure now.

I respect One Armed Boxer's review, and I definitely see where he's coming from. But I felt differently (see below) and would even go see it again in the theater if it were playing around here. I'm anxious for Well Go's BD release.

I got the chance to see RIGOR MORTIS, and I loved it.

I won't reveal any spoilers, which makes it quite difficult to review in any depth. But the fact is, even mentioning some of the casting will take away from the surprise/delight that each viewer should get to enjoy when seeing it. So I'll only share my general feelings about the film, rather than discussing any details.

This is a very serious, foreboding tale, with none of the light and silly touches that often came with the Hong Kong horror films of the '80s. Though it is readily apparent just how much the director cherishes those films, and he shows his devotion and admiration for them with tasteful, nostalgic, but never clumsy moments sprinkled throughout the film. This is a story of what it would really be like if these things were a part of our actual, modern life. And it tells it's tale in a magnificently imaginative, creepy, and hauntingly beautiful way. There are scenes that are delightfully ominous- even a little scary, and a few genuine shocks. The performances are all fantastic, and a few of the characters have genuine depth that has rarely if ever been seen in this country's genre films. The look of the film is especially mood-invoking, and the visuals- from set design to cinematography to the special effects- all work in unison to make you feel like you've seen this place before, but that maybe it was in a long ago dream. The effects work is a nice mix of practical makeup effects (above average work, with nice designs) and (thankfully) beautifully rendered CGI work.

From a critical point of view, I'd say that the film suffers a little bit of "style over substance". But not to the degree that you might expect from a first-time director with such an intensely singular vision. For the most part he has concentrated as much on the characters depth as the details of peeling paint and ghostly lighting. But there are some things along these lines that would have benefited from more exploration and explanation. Also, some of my friend's felt that it had too slow a build-up, and found that it was too "art house cinema" for their tastes. Personally, I did not have a problem with either of these elements.

When it was over, I felt very full of the experience, and the emotions, ideas and images stayed with me, swirling in my head like an exotic storm. It's a really special film. I've already told my son and wife that they have to check it out with me as soon as the R1 Blu-ray comes out. I'm already anxious to see it again.

8.5/10

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I respect One Armed Boxer's review, and I definitely see where he's coming from. But I felt differently (see below) and would even go see it again in the theater if it were playing around here. I'm anxious for Well Go's BD release.

Thanks KFB I will reconsider whether to see the film.

GD Y-Y

NoKUNGFUforYU

I tried to watch it, but it was too slow, and too depressing, like a Japanese horror film. For me, if you know everyone is doomed, and there is no escape, there's not much suspense, just matter of who gets it, in what order. I just felt bad for Ho, and I imagine there was a certain amount of shame in having to play himself, a la JCVD. And I was expecting some humor. But what do I know, I'm not a big fan of J-Horror anyway.

I watched the Hong Kong Blu ray a while ago and was disappointed by this film, far too much CGI and all of the humour of the original Mr Vampire which added to the charm has been removed and just replaced with gore. Worth a watch but did not do a lot for me.

One Armed Boxer
I tried to watch it, but it was too slow, and too depressing, like a Japanese horror film.

I think the main thing you need to know to get the most out of this movie is that the shadow of late 90's / early 00's J-horror looms over it in a major way. 'Rigor Mortis' can probably sit much more comfortably alongside 'Ring' & 'Ju-on' rather than the likes of 'Mr Vampire'

This is no doubt due to the involvement of Takashi Shimizu as I mentioned previously, however it's understandable that people expected more of a HK horror styled hybrid with the inclusion of the original 'Mr Vampire' cast members and hopping vampires. I also fell victim to the expectations of wanting it to be a throwback to these movies, but at some point in the future I may go back and give it a re-watch to try and appreciate it more as a slow burning horror tale.

abbotwhite

I agree that's actually quite disappointing and not even scary.

However, I do find it amusing that the face in the poster is

Spoiler

Richard Ng

I would never have guessed.

I too might have been the victim of expecting trickles of the 80s/90s hopping vampire to slowly creep into Rigor Mortis after seeing a double feature of Mr. Vampire/Rigor Mortis in one sitting. I also did not realize the crossover of Chin Siu Ho from the tiger he was in Mr. Vampire to the old lion & dark self he had become in rigor mortis which had nothing to do with anything in the movie, just my realization afterwards. I loved Mr. Vampire then and it played well on the big screen now. After realizing that Rigor Mortis' vampire was unlike that of the silly hopping kind that we knew of, I began to soak in Rigor. I thought it was quite dark and creepy, and the slow burn of the horrible incidents inside the housing project which led to the hauntings didnt quite sit well with me. And what did they do to Kara Hui Ying Hung! I was hoping the cat 3 sleaze, horror mashup would kick in but instead was getting more Ju on like visuals & style. I also thought the CGI & overall look of the film was too busy for my likings. I honestly thought it was more style than substance but I'm willing to give it another play when this all melts from my immediate mind.

NoKUNGFUforYU

The other depressing part is that this movie doesn't seem to have helped Chin one iota, with no new movies afterward. It's almost like it killed his career- basically life imitating art.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

more like a japanese horror movie à la the grudge, ringu and co. then an chinese vampire horror movie! sad:-( expected more!

But was nice to see richard ng in an role!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
more like a japanese horror movie à la the grudge, ringu and co. then an chinese vampire horror movie! sad:-( expected more!

I think I got that feeling from the trailer, so I wasn't expecting a MR. VAMPIRE type film. Which is fortunate, otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did.

But was nice to see richard ng in an role!

Yes! This is a long way from his imbecilic (though hilarious) roles in stuff like the LUCKY STARS films. "I'm invisible!" :xd: He was great in this.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom
I think I got that feeling from the trailer, so I wasn't expecting a MR. VAMPIRE type film. Which is fortunate, otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did.

Yes! This is a long way from his imbecilic (though hilarious) roles in stuff like the LUCKY STARS films. "I'm invisible!" :xd: He was great in this.

Maybe next time when i watch the movie i will find it better.

yeah - there are a few funny scenes to be remembered when i think about richard ng - specally in shanghai police with the many hidden "agents" in the room as everybody plays like the story he tell his wife:-)

masterofoneinchpunch

At the end of this film we are reminded of two important figures in Hong Kong cinema (and in Mr. Vampire) Ricky Hui and Lam Ching-ying (way too early for him) were no longer with us. Though it is important to note that Chung Fat as the other Taoist priest is a direct reference to Sammo Hung's Encounter of the Spooky Kind (aka Spooky Encounters) where he also plays a Taoist priest. I highly recommend that film to those interested in the same combination as Mr. Vampire of a comedy/martial arts/horror hybrid. Of course if you have not watched Mr. Vampire then that should be seen unless you like chickens.

I did like Takashi Shimizu’s influence. Through Takashi’s films I think he has a strong way with ghostly mise-en-scene mixed with his oft-used theme of vengeance. In this film you get a nice combination of Takashi’s aesthetics mixed with Taoist horror (though not to the degree of disgustingness or misogynistic scenes like the Shaw Brothers The Boxer’s Omen or Black Magic – both are interesting films for those looking for straight horror.)

Overall I think this is an underrated horror film. I was not particularly happy with the ending – the puzzling type that permeates way too many Japanese horror films. But like Gallants this is a nice throwback to the films of Hong Kong’s yesteryear and giving good roles to aging actors who I still prefer to many of the newer ones. Check out Richard Ng’s (Tung) comedy roles of the 1980s for example (the Lucky Star series; hey he is in Mr. Vampire III.)

3 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Though it is important to note that Chung Fat as the other Taoist priest is a direct reference to Sammo Hung's Encounter of the Spooky Kind (aka Spooky Encounters) where he also plays a Taoist priest.

Wasn't he also a priest in New Mr. Vampire?

masterofoneinchpunch
19 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Wasn't he also a priest in New Mr. Vampire?

He's in it, I have not seen it.  He's in a lot of films like these: Mr. Vampire Saga Four, Spooky, Spooky, Those Merry Souls ... 

According to https://twitter.com/asianfilmstrike?lang=en (Mar 3rd), Chin Siu Ho and Richard Ng co-star in a new vampire comedy, The Fight Night, from Ricky Lau.  I couldn't find out any more info than that, but there's a movie poster on the website.

Not sure if this is a different movie, Vampire Cleanup Department, co-starring Chin Siu Ho and Richard Ng, and also Baby John Choi, Yuen Cheung-yan, and Lo Meng, opening in Asia on March 16.  

Trailer 

So I watched Vampire Cleanup Department, and it's the comedic, lighthearted movie that Rigor Mortis wasn't.  There's a vampire human romance, and a hilarious extra - an interview with the superbad vampire trying to explain his view of the situation.  

Here's a trailer for a new hopping vampire comedy - Mr. Zombie 2.  I can't find any info on it except I think it's opening in China on Jan 5th, 2018.  It appears to be set in early 20th century China, with a convoy of hopping dead led by a Taoist priest.  There are duels of magic, and a monster villain who turns the hopping dead into raving zombies. 

Trailer -  

Archived