Rigor Mortis (2013) - Hopping Vampire revival!

MonkeyFu

Didn't see anything posted on this title yet, but I'm excited for it to come out. I hope that they do the hopping vampire movies justice. And it's great to see that Chin Siu-ho will be staring! looks like some good talent behind the camera as well as in front of it.

Plot outline:

RIGOR MORTIS stars action movie veteran Chin Siu-ho (Siu-ho) as a former vampire hunting actor who now finds himself reaching the end of the line as a washed-up star, separated from his wife and alienated from his son. Down on his luck and with barely a dollar to his name, he checks into room 2442 in the housing estate, an allegedly haunted flat. His aim is to end his misery by doing himself in, but instead Siu-ho is interrupted by some of the other “occupants” of the building including a Taoist master-exorcist (Anthony Chan), a traumatized housewife with a tragic past (Kara Hui), as well as a seemingly benign elderly woman (Paw Hee-ching) who has an empty coffin conspicuously hanging in the middle of her apartment.

Soon it becomes apparent to Siu-ho that the people around him and the situation are far from normal. Despite his lack of belief in superstition, Siu-ho is soon thrust into the battle of his life as vicious vampires with unsettled business begin to rise from the dead…

http://asianmoviepulse.com/2013/03/rigor-mortis-2013-chung-fat-chin-siu-ho/

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks more like a recent Korean/Japanese horror movie from the pics. Should be interesting to see a modern, yet bloody, hopping vamp movie.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Didn't see anything posted on this title yet, but I'm excited for it to come out. I hope that they do the hopping vampire movies justice. And it's great to see that Chin Siu-ho will be staring! looks like some good talent behind the camera as well as in front of it.

Thanks for posting about this. I hadn't heard anything about it.

Like Keung, I'm also very excited to see Chung Fat again. I followed the link and there's a photo of Chung and Chin involved in some bloody combat! High hopes they'll bust out some of their top-notch moves in the film. :nerd:

I like what I'm seeing. My only complaint is the fighting sound fx. It's actually fine the way it is but the action would be "more" with more in the strikes and falls. When you're making something that is not real anyway, why go for soft "realistic" soundfx? That's just me. Looking forward to this. Looks creepy.

• Administrator
Has this come out yet? How about DVD?

I just read that Well Go USA is releasing this, though no date yet.

Also, I checked out an article about it by our friend "Big Mike" Leeder over at Impact Magazine.com http://www.impactonline.co/news/1638-mr-vampire-returns. I had no idea what the plot circumstances were. If you'd like to go into this free of any plot setup spoilers, then skip the rest of my post...

Minor SPOILERS ahead... Chin Sui-Ho actually plays himself in this! He is down and out as an actor, having never achieved much fame beyond his gyonsi-battling roles, and has come to a run-down tenement to commit suicide. :squigglemouth: But strange things start happening, and despite his non-believer stance on all things supernatural... :nerd:

I've got to say- I was already excited about the film. After reading that info though, it sounds even more interesting.

One Armed Boxer
Have you seen it yet One Armed Boxer? If not, are you psyched for this or what?

Hey KFB...not yet! I'm going for a HK movie triple bill blind buy with this, 'The White Storm' & 'The Constable'.

Chin Sui-ho & hopping vampires has me sold though, and the trailer looked impressive (not that that means much these days! Cough....'Special ID'....cough:tongue:), so it'll probably be the first I watch out of them!

Have you seen it? I saw 'Minor spoilers' in your post and immediately stopped reading, so not sure if you've laid eyes on it yet.

In an unrelated note, I recently watched the Beat Takeshi version of 'Zatoichi' which I commented on in the Japanese forum, I noticed you also contributed to the thread in the past, my thoughts are pretty much aligned with yours.

• Administrator
Hey KFB...not yet! I'm going for a HK movie triple bill blind buy with this, 'The White Storm' & 'The Constable'.

Chin Sui-ho & hopping vampires has me sold though, and the trailer looked impressive (not that that means much these days! Cough....'Special ID'....cough:tongue:), so it'll probably be the first I watch out of them!

Have you seen it? I saw 'Minor spoilers' in your post and immediately stopped reading, so not sure if you've laid eyes on it yet.

I'm going to blind buy RIGOR MORTIS too.

No, I haven't seen it yet. I'm waiting on the official R1 release. I haven't seen THE WHITE STORM, THE CONSTABLE nor SPECIAL ID yet either.

I read the synopsis on RIGOR MORTIS and they explained the basic premise of the film, and since it sounded so interesting I thought I'd leave it spoiler free for those that want to go in totally unaware. Though I'm sure what I read won't hurt the film for me, I still wish I didn't know. Suffice to say- it gave me even higher hopes for the film than I had based on just viewing the trailer.

In an unrelated note, I recently watched the Beat Takeshi version of 'Zatoichi' which I commented on in the Japanese forum, I noticed you also contributed to the thread in the past, my thoughts are pretty much aligned with yours.

I'll pop over there to read your post.

Some should move this to the Hong Kong section.

See this. Great looking picture. While the colors are bleak, it is very crisp visually. Very detailed visual picture. Cinematography is lovely stuff. These days people are either doing annoying things with a hand held or going really big. This is intimate. Great camera work. Lovely circular long take involving Richard Ng's character and his wife. Her start to finish in that take, nice.

Small cast and intimate so the characters really blended with the happenings. Very atmospheric picture. Juno Mak was really able to maintain that for most of the picture. He and the japanese producer really created something here. The apartment complex and all of the various apartments also ended up being part of the character of the picture. That really struck me. Each person in their own, same space.

I really don't get it in the end because of what happens in the last fifth of the picture. Truly confusing in the end but i highly recommend it.

This movie is an ambitious and beautifully shot re-imagining of the chinese vampire movies with some great visual ideas, interesting characters, some pleasant fan service for fans of the classic genre films and quite a bit of graphic violence. Unfortunately I didn't find it very suspenseful nor especially creepy. The story is told in a very slow pace reminiscent of many japanese horror movies. And it's more or less devoid of any humor, which I found unfortunate since the original MR.VAMPIRE worked so well as a combination of eerie horror, supernatural action and some fun. Nevertheless RIGOR MORTIS makes an interesting and worthwhile movie experience.

TheGrimReaper

Let me put it this way - to me Rigor Mortis is to "hopping vampires" (geung si) subgenre, as is "Gallants" to martial arts movies - a perfect homage to all those movies portaraying brave Taoist priests fighting off a vampires and all evil forces.

At first the plot sounded to me a bit plain and simple, but every take inside the madness of the apartment 2442 was one step into a pure "Mr. Vampire" experience, unfortunately without the great late Lam Ching Ying.

I followed Chin Siu Ho plundging to chaos and spirit mayhem, surrounded by a palette of familiar faces, but I won't spoil the surprise by saying who was cast in which role - it was a pure delight to recognize some of the original cast form "Mr. Vampire" series and i was simply blown away by the solid performance given away from them at this age.

The effects were seamlessly blended in the action and overall performance, and it's probably the first time when I felt that the effects were part of the movie, without the overuse in the likes of "New swords of Dragon gate inn" or any Detective Dee franchise, not a flashy side only.

The story itself has a bit disjointed narative, including one twist, which at first doesn't seemd quite right, but after a while in using my brain I get the brilliance behind it.

Put in here a nostaglic look and confined places where the performance was integrated with the enviroment - a mirky, grim and sad building, where different people live, and die (in certain way) and evil forces are about to burst and change the world of living.

I can't say anything bad about any of the characters - they were all solid, with some odd features and desires, but that is up to you to see them all.

We have all the elements of a traditional chinese horror movie - a priest, which doesn't believe that he can deal with vampires anymore, a desperate actor who choose death, another priest (or sort of) who ventures into the Dark Side and makes something terrible, a pair of ghosts emmiting a potent dark aura nad living with all residents, a elderly lady which love towards her husband is beyond anything, and a deranged mother still tormented by the past. A nice company indeed.

In all the mayhem the creators throw in even a touch of martial arts, which was simply delightful despite on a short side. But as a whole this movie gets me right in the good all vampire themes (it had even the original song from the first movie) and one true homage to all the movies in that subgenre.

I can consider this as "mr. Vampire" for the new generation - and at the end the director Juno Mak dedicates this picture to two former members of the crew - Lam Ching Ying & Ricky Hui - rest in peace.

One of the best asian movies I've come across in a long time and for me one fine example of filmmaking, hence the high rating:

10/10

Wow, great review, was in two minds about this but cant wait to see it now. Is there much CGI, as i find this can spoil films if overused.

TheGrimReaper
Wow, great review, was in two minds about this but cant wait to see it now. Is there much CGI, as i find this can spoil films if overused.

The CGI are there alright, however it has been blended into the movie and the whole plot so nicely, that it compliments the pace and all realtions between the characters, combined with the eerie filter over the screen it gives a whole new meaning to the word "horror atmosphere" - is not that it is a shocking, but while I watch it my spine has constant shivers :)

Maybe I'm hyped over here, but i simply can't feel any other way - the movie is brilliant IMO.

Greetings

• Administrator

I got the chance to see RIGOR MORTIS, and I loved it.

I won't reveal any spoilers, which makes it quite difficult to review in any depth. But the fact is, even mentioning some of the casting will take away from the surprise/delight that each viewer should get to enjoy when seeing it. So I'll only share my general feelings about the film, rather than discussing any details.

This is a very serious, foreboding tale, with none of the light and silly touches that often came with the Hong Kong horror films of the '80s. Though it is readily apparent just how much the director cherishes those films, and he shows his devotion and admiration for them with tasteful, nostalgic, but never clumsy moments sprinkled throughout the film. This is a story of what it would really be like if these things were a part of our actual, modern life. And it tells it's tale in a magnificently imaginative, creepy, and hauntingly beautiful way. There are scenes that are delightfully ominous- even a little scary, and a few genuine shocks. The performances are all fantastic, and a few of the characters have genuine depth that has rarely if ever been seen in this country's genre films. The look of the film is especially mood-invoking, and the visuals- from set design to cinematography to the special effects- all work in unison to make you feel like you've seen this place before, but that maybe it was in a long ago dream. The effects work is a nice mix of practical makeup effects (above average work, with nice designs) and (thankfully) beautifully rendered CGI work.

From a critical point of view, I'd say that the film suffers a little bit of "style over substance". But not to the degree that you might expect from a first-time director with such an intensely singular vision. For the most part he has concentrated as much on the characters depth as the details of peeling paint and ghostly lighting. But there are some things along these lines that would have benefited from more exploration and explanation. Also, some of my friend's felt that it had too slow a build-up, and found that it was too "art house cinema" for their tastes. Personally, I did not have a problem with either of these elements.

When it was over, I felt very full of the experience, and the emotions, ideas and images stayed with me, swirling in my head like an exotic storm. It's a really special film. I've already told my son and wife that they have to check it out with me as soon as the R1 Blu-ray comes out. I'm already anxious to see it again.

8.5/10

It is an ultra-stylish and visually phenomenally compelling film, no doubt. On top of that the entire cast excels here, haven’t enjoyed an ensemble performance in a HK flick as much much as this in a long time (well, since GALLANTS really!). Especially Paw Hei-Jing, Peter Pau’s sister, simply steals every scene she’s in and proves once again that she’s a character actress that’s up there with the very best in the world!

I felt the FX work was generally appropriate for a film of this sort, I do wish however that they made the CGI look a lil’ more “realistic” during the final showdown between Chin Siu Ho and the vampire and Paw Hei-Jing’s suicide.

Still, I will admit that for a what’s sold as a reboot of classic HK horror / ghost story tropes I was hoping for some of that wicked black humour, that mad mixture of creepyness and comedy that set HK horror films apart two decades or so ago and made ‘em so damn’ addictive even to non-horror geeks like myself.

Unfortunately Director Juno Mak stayed clear of that element, but still RIGOR MORTIS is one of a half dozen or so films made in HK in 2013 that ought to be required viewing for everyone and should make some of the HK cinema naysayers here & elsewhere.wake the fuck up!

Anyhow, Grim Reaper, I think it would be helpful for people interested in the film to point out that the HK Deltamac Blu Ray (the only choice to see RIGOR MORTIS at the moment!) is a pitch-perfect release! Awesome PQ plus flawless, properly timed subs. The highly illuminating 'Making Of' special is subbed too (actually director Juno Mak and “vampire” Richard Ng even discuss the film in English!) and even the trailer comes with subs. Not the slightest reason in other words to find excuses not to buy it and wait for some R1 or R2 release.

Archived