The Wrath of Vajra (2013)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

The guys over at Twitch posted about this new movie being promoted at the Hong Kong Filmart, starring Shi Yanneng (formerly known as Xing Yu, the guy from 'Kung-fu Hustle', 'Shaolin', and 'Flash Point', who now goes by his Shaolin name) in his first lead role, which is enough to get my hopes up for a potentially good kung-fu movie.

While the plot is nothing new - the Chinese rising up against a Japanese cult that kidnaps children and trains them as assassins during their invasion of China - the look of the movie feels somewhat like a Chinese version of 'Ong Bak 2', with plenty of knees and elbows amidst the fu.

Adding to expectations are the inclusion of legend Yasuaki Kurata, and the exciting prospect of Yanneng facing off against the seven foot behemoth Jiang Bao Chang. Korean stars Steve Yoo & Poppin Hyun-joon round off a pretty pan-Asian cast.

Twitch have an exclusive promo video, so exclusive it's not even on youtube yet, so click on the link to check it out -

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/03/xing-xu-battles-deadly-cult-in-the-wrath-of-vajra-promo.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

The action certainly looks impressive. Very powerful and hard hitting. It looks like the type of film I'd give a watch for sure.

I do like the look of it and the settings. They certainly are going big with the sound with this. That neck break made me jump.

This article says Sammo is the AD and holding hope is not something I do anyway, but that's not reassuring for me, regardless of what the trailer looks like.

http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2013/03/xing-yu-unleashes-kung-fu-fury-in-wrath.html.

I am glad XY is finally getting a shot.

Looks like it could be a good one.

The artist formerly known as Xing Yu adds to his many aliases (he certainly has a right to go by his Shaolin name though) :wink:

One Armed Boxer

I know a few forum members on here are based in Sydney...so for those that are, there's going to be a chance to check this out at Event cinema, which is showing the movie from 26th September -

http://www.eventcinemas.com.au/movie/The-Wrath-Of-Vajra

I'll be going to check it out, although my concern is that Shi Yanneng will be unable to carry a movie on his own. In HK cinema at least, apart from Donnie Yen we seem to have entered an age were we with have screen fighters with no screen presence, or actors who do have screen presence but don't have the moves to back it up. We'll see how this turns out.

I'll be going to check it out, although my concern is that Shi Yanneng will be unable to carry a movie on his own. In HK cinema at least, apart from Donnie Yen we seem to have entered an age were we with have screen fighters with no screen presence, or actors who do have screen presence but don't have the moves to back it up. We'll see how this turns out.

Seconded. But I have to say that Collin Chou and Andy On are other contenders of being believable lead actors in today's HK MA action movies. Even though he hasn't found his niche yet, I think Collin Chou's the one standing out among today's bunch of upcoming screenfighters in Hong Kong/China in that he - beside his exceptional MA skills - has truly matured as an actor in the last 10 years. It's just unfortunate for him to stick along playing supporting roles and appearing in mediocre movies. But when he does get a good role in a great movie, he shines and reaches out to the viewer convincingly. As for Andy, he's slowly improving his acting skills and have done major improvement in action movies, especially working with Woo Ping and now Donnie.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I partly agree. I think it's the standards that have changed... Alot of martial arts stars "back in the days" didn't have, imo, tremandous acting skills. Now they all have to be pretty boys/girls poster faces first and foremost. The MA skills are now secondary as it can all be arranged through editing and special effects. Not all people are as demanding as we are as far as genuine skills are concern.

As far as Collin Chou goes, he's 46 years old, so I wouldn't call him an upcoming screenfighter.

Yeah, but since Collin hasn't broke out yet he could very well be included in the new bunch of next-gen Chinese screenfighters.

ShaOW!linDude

I love Collin Chou. Can't understand why he hasn't been given more starring opportunities. But the realist in me thinks that if he hasn't broken out by now, he ain't gonna.

I love Collin Chou. Can't understand why he hasn't been given more starring opportunities. But the realist in me thinks that if he hasn't broken out by now, he ain't gonna.

It is sad too because Collin made his film debut in a lead role back in 1987, PROMISING YOUNG BOY.

I agree Andy On is truly improving both acting and action wise. When I saw BLACK MASK 2 back when it was first released, even though the movie was crap, I felt that Andy did have the potential. With working with Nicky Li, Woo-Ping and Donnie, his action skills are highly improving. Working with Johnnie To certainly helped him with this acting chops...loved his performance in MAD DETECTIVE opposite Lau Ching-Wan.

Somehow this film thread passed me by and the movie looks like it could be pretty good, assuming we don't have too much slow motion.

I partly agree. I think it's the standards that have changed... Alot of martial arts stars "back in the days" didn't have, imo, tremandous acting skills. Now they all have to be pretty boys/girls poster faces first and foremost. The MA skills are now secondary as it can all be arranged through editing and special effects. Not all people are as demanding as we are as far as genuine skills are concern.

That is sadly true. :squigglemouth:

This Movie was rumored to be released Sep 24th or sep 26th. I have tried to find Reviews but have failed. This is a movie i have been waiting for a release! has anyone seen it or heard anything about it?

One Armed Boxer
This Movie was rumored to be released Sep 24th or sep 26th. I have tried to find Reviews but have failed. This is a movie i have been waiting for a release! has anyone seen it or heard anything about it?

I thought the same thing, and even last month my local cinema here in Sydney had it scheduled for a 26/09 screening, but it seems to have disappeared from the schedules.

The good news is though that a second trailer has been released showing a lot of new footage -

xrXYCJhLYas

I thought the same thing, and even last month my local cinema here in Sydney had it scheduled for a 26/09 screening, but it seems to have disappeared from the schedules.

The good news is though that a second trailer has been released showing a lot of new footage -

xrXYCJhLYas

And it still looks fantastic! I really hope this sees a release soon.

a big letdown this was most of the fights are in slow mo and xing yu punches look kind of weak when he fights and the fights look really slow as well only liked the fight with the crazy character, usual case of to much attention on production value and not on fight choreography , shame was really looking forward to his one.

Drunken Monk
a big letdown this was most of the fights are in slow mo and xing yu punches look kind of weak when he fights and the fights look really slow as well only liked the fight with the crazy character, usual case of to much attention on production value and not on fight choreography , shame was really looking forward to his one.

Damn it, this one was towards the top of my "highly anticipated" list. I'm disappointed to hear it's not that good.

I had a bad feeling this film & the use of slo-mo.:squigglemouth:

This movie came out almost two weeks ago and this is the first review I've seen about it. I feared it would be bad or else I would have heard things. I will still check it out

Archived