Shaw Brothers figure

KingBoxer

In addition to my passion for Kung Fu movies I am also an avid model builder. I usually build military figures, but a few months back I decided to try my hand at creating my own figures. I then began fooling around with making molds and casting my own designs, mostly 1/32 scale figures (for the non toy nerds that is the size of the little green army men you played with as a kid).

Anyway, last month I decided to meld my two favorite things and attempted to make a few Kung Fu figures. I have attached a picture of one to see if what you folks thought. I am not going to tell you who it is----I would like you to guess--that will let me know if I am close--or way off. I look forward to your responses.

http://postimage.org/image/8b5m6n5g5/

Hai_To.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool! I'm guessing that took a lot of time to put together.

The picture is a little hard to see clearly, but I'm going with Philip Kwok (or at least one of the Venoms).

If you can I'd love to see a better picture. :smile:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

First of all- I love the figure! :nerd: Very cool man.

Before I zoomed it on the picture, just based on his stance/posture I thought he looked cocky- like maybe David Chiang.

But then when I zoomed in and saw the details... is it supposed to be Phillip Kwok from KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM? :smile:

Oh yeah, and WELCOME TO THE FORUM. :wink:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Very cool! I'm guessing that took a lot of time to put together.

The picture is a little hard to see clearly, but I'm going with Philip Kwok (or at least one of the Venoms).

If you can I'd love to see a better picture. :smile:

Hah, you beat me too it.

Ditto. I'd like to see a clearer photo as well. I want to appreciate the details.

I'm curious- if you don't mind me asking- which medium did you use to sculpt him? Are you using acrylic or modeling paints?

I knew you guys wouldn't let me down. You got it - Philip Kwok from Golden Arm is what I modeled this figure after. I screwed up the painting a bit, making his foot wraps to red/brown, but I will give it another shot.

I used a mixture of methods and materials to make this figure, and all my figures. I use figure model parts for some of the finer details, like hands and feet, and sometimes heads. The heads are the most difficult of all. In the case of this figure, I tried several different "store bought" heads and nothing seemed to capture the exact look I wanted. So I ended up, re-sculpting a few heads until I got the look I was going for. In fact it turned out a bit better than I hoped, and actually looks a bit more like Mr. Kwok than shows in the picture.

For all the other parts, like the torso, clothes and hair, I use green stuff. I am by no means a sculptor nor an artist, but have a great deal of fun making these guys.

The paint job is done in acrylics and again, I am not the best painter in the world.

I thank you for all your replies and if you like, I can show you some other figures I have built. I recently finished a figure of Bruce Lee which I think is fairly unique. It is modeled after one of my favorite pictures of him--one of the Shaw Brothers test shots.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I knew you guys wouldn't let me down. You got it - Philip Kwok from Golden Arm is what I modeled this figure after. I screwed up the painting a bit, making his foot wraps to red/brown, but I will give it another shot.

I used a mixture of methods and materials to make this figure, and all my figures. I use figure model parts for some of the finer details, like hands and feet, and sometimes heads. The heads are the most difficult of all. In the case of this figure, I tried several different "store bought" heads and nothing seemed to capture the exact look I wanted. So I ended up, re-sculpting a few heads until I got the look I was going for. In fact it turned out a bit better than I hoped, and actually looks a bit more like Mr. Kwok than shows in the picture.

For all the other parts, like the torso, clothes and hair, I use green stuff. I am by no means a sculptor nor an artist, but have a great deal of fun making these guys.

The paint job is done in acrylics and again, I am not the best painter in the world.

I thank you for all your replies and if you like, I can show you some other figures I have built. I recently finished a figure of Bruce Lee which I think is fairly unique. It is modeled after one of my favorite pictures of him--one of the Shaw Brothers test shots.

Yes, please share more!

Hey, we started a thread a while back for people to post any of their artwork in. Would you mind posting your photos and descriptions there please? :bigsmile: Here is the link to it: http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7459

Archived