Did David Chiang ever take his top off?

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteor

I just thought I don't think I've seen a single film with a bare chested David Chiang, which considering the number of Chang Cheh films he made is truly remarkable! Any exceptions to this rule?

masterofoneinchpunch

This is one of those questions that is going to gnaw on my mind over the weekend where I will have to fast forward several DVDs. If it can be answered it might make a nice bizarre footnote to a future book on the Shaw Brothers and most likely Chang Cheh.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Wow, KM... you have very specific tastes:wink:

Just goofin'........

Actually, I can't remember a single instance where he did. I just don't think he had the physique... that was Ti Lung's department.

Hunt for the Bare-Chested David?

Quickly breezed over some stills for 20+ films of his and while Ti seems to get sweaty a lot and --

requires stripping off his shirt, David seemed a little more reverse. Not one single image of a shirtless DC.

Btw this thread made me laugh. I use to have all my discs from DDDHouse mailed to me at work as well as various Southern Screen issues. A guy I worked with years ago would always laugh about the "shirtless sweaty Asian men" flix and mags I'd get in the mail.

I don't think you'll find any pics of David bare chested as he was very slim/slight in musculature whereas Ti Lung had more of a physique. It was probably intentional on his part.

There was one Shaw Brothers movie where David Chiang dies shirtless at the end. But the camera was so far away, you couldn't see anything. (Edit follows) The movie was Blood Brothers. "Wen-hsiang suffers a massive Heroic BSoD before deciding the confront Ma Xin-yi, face-to-face, which ends with both men fighting each other to the death with Wen-hsiang as the survivor. He then gets arrested, flogged for trying to avenge his friend, and learns that Ma Xin-hi's betrayal was caused by the Imperial Court manipulating the brothers against each other, and that the truth behind the incident will be covered up. And the movie literally ends with Wen-hsiang being put to death, right over the credits."  (from https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/BloodBrothers1973 and hidden behind a 'spoiler' screen)  

Maybe it was Blood Brothers, where he's torn apart by horses. (edit - nope, I was wrong about that.) 

Edited by whitesnake

Killer Meteor
He's torn apart in Heroic Ones.

Fully clothed too lol.

On the other hand, I've had the misfortune to see Lee Quin and Wei Ping-ao bare chested on one of those great Chop Sucky compilations. Argh my eyes!!

Killer Meteor
What about The Pirate? Lot of bare chested swashbucklers in that? Maybe DC was one of them?

Not seen that one yet.

But the movie is still Blood Brothers in which David Chiang is pretty much shirtless at the very end, after he has been executed. As the camera closes in, it goes all blurry.

I don't think you'll find any pics of David bare chested as he was very slim/slight in musculature whereas Ti Lung had more of a physique. It was probably intentional on his part.

Yeah there was no point.That was Ti Lung's domain and even when David Chiang made " Indie Films " he did not take roles requiring him to do so.

I don't remember to have seen David Chiang shirtless in The pirate.

You can see a little bit of his chest in The water margin as the black shirt he wears seems to be mangled. From what was said in the bonus of the wildside release of this movie, it was on purpose that Chang Chen has chosen this item of clothing for David Chiang.

Cognoscente

It's like Loren Avedon not wanting to reveal his slender torso in comparison to that of Billy Blanks for the finale in The King of the Kickboxers.

• Like 2

FightingFool

I did read he was tall 172cm..dunno if that accurate. Might be but then many girls almost same tall too or extra heel high to some..I would guess like 165 cm more like it.

I think David was never without shirt he had no muscles. Had good screen atmosphere tho..

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 2

8DiagramAuntieFighter

Just theorizing, but it’s gotta be some sort of clause on his part. Chang Cheh gets a hold of a stud like David & doesn’t have him shirtless? Something is definitely wrong.:wondering Maybe Chang just simply preferred the beefcakes. :bs_snicker:

FightingFool

What is even purpose taking shirt off?Obviously than showing muscles for audience. If in real fight would imagine nobody does that :coveredlaugh,,,or cannot be so true in this world...

I think can never decide who like more, David or Ti..I suspect ti lung is better on more light hearted roles as cool swordsman but David played drama finer..

• Like 1