Shaw Brother BD's from T.V.P.

Betty Pei Ti

If you don't have a Chinatown in your city, the IVL's can seem rare. In towns with significant Chinese populations, the R3 DVD's can be had for 2 or 3 dollars. I think I'll be going to Vancouver this spring and I will post my findings.

Don’t know about the Chinatowns in the US and would be interested if you’d brief us about the situation there. But I can tell you that in HK most IVL Shaws are disappearing and fast. HMV had a big range on a standalone rack solely devoted to Shaw titles when they reopened their store inside the i-Square mall in TST about two years ago. Last time I checked in January the rack was three times smaller and about 75 percent of the titles were gone. The once impressive stocks at the Hong Kong Records stores in TST and Kowloon Tong are getting thinner & thinner too. Smaller DVD shops like Widesight carry no IVL’s no more, nor do chain stores like CD Warehouse, and if some turn up in second-hand stores in Mongkok or Wanchai they’re usually priced between 100 and 150 HKD. Occasionally you can find some (usually not in-demand) titles for around 50. Guess in another year or two stocks in HK will be totally depleted.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been surprised to see IVL's popping up at DDD house again. I thought HK would have more dvd's. Vancouver, SF and LA have some sick Chinatowns. You can find 35mm prints of Shaw's there, let alone DVD's. There is a warehouse in Vancouver that's supposed to be filled with new IVL's. I hope I can convince the owner to give me access.

RogueWarrior

On a recent trip to Chinatown in Honolulu there were a handful of IVL Shaws in a couple shops.

I will have to venture back to Chinatown for a closer look.

Still not very nice though and not something I would call a stranger.

Bloodclaat! Nobody ah call anyone anyt’ing, yuh see mi? And translated into standard English exclusively for you, Mark: “Dammit! Nobody was calling anyone anything, do you understand?”

Betty Pei Ti

Hello everybody, I've got some news about Shaolin Avengers - media book!

Release date: In the next two weeks

Bonus:

* Elegant Trails: Alexander Fu Sheng (with German subtitles)

* 3 Styles of Hung Fist 1+2

* Obituary on Alexander Fu Sheng

* Alternative ending (from the German videocassette)

* Advertising material

* Original Hong Kong trailer

* New Hong Kong trailer

* German movie trailer

* TVP trailers

* Booklet (16 pages) with pictures and information about the movie

Audio: German, English Dolby Digital 2.0, Mandarin

Subs: English

Video format: 1080p/24p

Running time: 97 minutes

Hello everybody, I've got some news about Shaolin Avengers - media book!

Release date: In the next two weeks

Excellent news, BPT, I'ma keep my eyes peeled and pounce the minute its available!

For me its all about the HD transfer. Couldn't understand all the exaggerated praise for the package of their first mediabook. Design was definitely inferior to what we're routinely seeing from Korean mediabooks these days, didn't think the small reproductions of lobbies were too impressive either (less would have looked better, I suppose). And the perfunctory German bios printed in the booklet didn't offer any original insights. Even some of the weaker liner notes attached to, say, the old Tartan DVD's, or anything you glean on Wikipedia would have been a lot more profound. But in the end the pristine image quality compensates for it all and makes the price somehow justifiable.

Thanks for the link Ronin...but 37 Euro on Amazon, wow thats expensive

But according to Amazon its "momentarily not available"... :sad:

Can't spot copies of this anywhere right now...

Betty Pei Ti

Hi, this guy from TVP wrote, that they have some problems with the packaging company, and that he will tell us, when the BDs can be delivered.

Betty Pei Ti

Update: The media books (of Shaolin Avengers) were delivered to the traders!

Betty Pei Ti

Hi, I suppose that they haven't updated their page, yet! The info I wrote above came from the TVP- guy himself.

Betty Pei Ti

Ok, since the 13th of May the first fans got their copy of Shaolin Avengers-Media Book. I don't know why Amazon is so slow in updating their page... One can only preorder the item.

I received my mediabook of SHAOLIN AVENGERS today and i've just finished watching the Blu Ray...picture quality is pristine and the casing looks great.

I watched the film with the german oldschool dub and it was a joy...I haven't seen the flick for at least 5 years...

Using Google Translate from German to English on that site on one of my very favorite movies, The New One-Armed Swordsman:

"A film like a swipe with his clenched perfection Asian Action sensations!"

BAM! :xd:

Betty Pei Ti
I received my mediabook of SHAOLIN AVENGERS today and i've just finished watching the Blu Ray...picture quality is pristine and the casing looks great.

I watched the film with the german oldschool dub and it was a joy...I haven't seen the flick for at least 5 years...

@andi, I must say, that I envyed you for the past few days..! :bigsmile::wink: But, meanwhile Amazon sent me an e-mail saying that they will soon deliver my mediabook. I'm so excited to see my favored actor Fu Sheng next week on BD, finally! :angel: And your positive report on the mediabook already makes me feel that I made the right decision. :bigsmile:

@And to David Rees and the others, who might be interested: You can order the mediabook not only on Amazon.de (very expensive), but e.g. on cyber-pirates, OFDB, shop.dtm and moviemania24 as well.

There are a very few sequences (i think i noticed it 2 times) with the typical celestial-soft-focus here and there, but all in all it looks amazing....especially the black levels during the opening scenes look great....the special features also contain a very interesting piece called "nachruf" (obituary) for fu sheng with footage from the funeral services, where they point out all the important guests etc...

Betty Pei Ti

Ah, yes, the obituary! I think it's the same Koch Media put on their second SB-Box. Anyhow, its a fine bonus for the ones who did't already know it! :smile:

What about the booklet, andi ?

EDIT:

By the way, The Savage Five will be released next!

the booklet features different german lobbycards, some stills and other promostuff....biographies of the leading actors and chang cheh...etc...and a short history lesson about the qing dynasty...same quality as the new one-armed swordsman booklet...

both mediabooks look really nice next to each other (usually i don't buy mediabooks, but it's hard to resist the shaw stuff)

savage five is next? nice!

Archived