Police Story I & II (Shout Factory BD Reviews)

Guest Markgway

It clearly states on the back of the package: Cantonese Mono - Subtitles English. But, there is also English 5.1 and Cantonese 5.1. Are you sure that you selected the correct track when you started watching it? And, what are the signs that it is a downmix? What are you comparing it to?

It doesn't always mean "original mono".

Irongod also stated that the mono track has new foley effects, shared with the 5.1 tracks. That would have been one of the signs.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't know of ANY Fortune Star "Blu Ray" which has an original Mono Track. the French Discs all have downmixes too claiming "mono d'origine"

It clearly states on the back of the package: Cantonese Mono - Subtitles English. But, there is also English 5.1 and Cantonese 5.1. Are you sure that you selected the correct track when you started watching it? And, what are the signs that it is a downmix? What are you comparing it to?

Yup they are downmixed I know both these films inside and out.

Double and triple checked I had selected the right audio.

The mono track clearly have new sound effects added... new gun shots, car crashes, glass breaking etc...

I had the Japanese laserdiscs of both of them back in the day and

know what the correct mono audio should sound like.

Also have the Dragon Dynasty DVD versions with correct mono audio...

Sadly the Dragon Dynasty are the best versions available now.

Unless you have a custom version that you don't want to share!! LOL :wink:

Anyone that has a custom that does want to share please PM me and I'm sure we can work something out! :bigsmile:

anyone know if the eng dub for Police Story is the original dub? I would certainly pick this up if it had the original dub.

Guest Markgway

I'd love to see a custom for POLICE STORY with an original mono track (maybe from a VHS or LD?) synced to the IVL DVD print.

Not sure what the best source for Part 2 is...?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I'd love to see a custom for POLICE STORY with an original mono track (maybe from a VHS or LD?) synced to the IVL DVD print.

That would be nice! :nerd:

Yup they are downmixed I know both these films inside and out.

Double and triple checked I had selected the right audio.

The mono track clearly have new sound effects added... new gun shots, car crashes, glass breaking etc...

I had the Japanese laserdiscs of both of them back in the day and

know what the correct mono audio should sound like.

Also have the Dragon Dynasty DVD versions with correct mono audio...

Sadly the Dragon Dynasty are the best versions available now.

Unless you have a custom version that you don't want to share!! LOL :wink:

Anyone that has a custom that does want to share please PM me and I'm sure we can work something out! :bigsmile:

Those bastards lied. Damn, where is the truth in advertising? Thanks for setting the record straight on that one. I have seen the movie in the theater, on vhs, dvd, remastered dvd and now blu. So weird that I did not recognize those added sounds. Those sneaky bastards.

It now makes me wonder though where Shout Factory got their "mono" track from. I would have thought that they were using some of the materials that DD used.

Also, sorry, Markgway. I thought that it was the mono track.

I'm surprised this is new to you, but yes, most of the "Original Mono" mixes on remastered Fortune Star Titles are downmixes of the 5.1 Crap. they do that ever since they were proud to say "as a special treat to the fans we will include original Mono Mixes on the DVDs". before THAT lie, they only put 5.1 onto the DVDs. gotta love the "not losing face" Chinese mentality.

Killer Meteor
I'm surprised this is new to you, but yes, most of the "Original Mono" mixes on remastered Fortune Star Titles are downmixes of the 5.1 Crap. they do that ever since they were proud to say "as a special treat to the fans we will include original Mono Mixes on the DVDs". before THAT lie, they only put 5.1 onto the DVDs. gotta love the "not losing face" Chinese mentality.

Sometimes, they supply a genuine mono track to a UK label, but the HK company gets a downmix! Madness!

Killer Meteor

The HKL Police Story is rather crummy too. The picture is squished so that people have wide, squat heads, and the 5.1 remix sounds bizzare, with the punches barely audible under the music, and the dialogue sounds like it's coming from a badly tuned radio.

HKL did their own horrible 5.1 Remixes which, while being mostly original sounding, were filtered to death and sound like pure crap.

Guest Markgway

You just never know what you're gonna get.

Sometimes the mono is genuine, just as often not.

The problem is that the people who NEED to know (or care) don't!

Killer Meteor

Shout Factory does a great job with everything else they release, which makes all this HK business very annoying. And I'm sure I've contacted their main guy, Cliff, quite a few times about the mono tracks, even as far as when he was with BCI and they were going to release some Jackie flicks then.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Shout Factory does a great job with everything else they release, which makes all this HK business very annoying. And I'm sure I've contacted their main guy, Cliff, quite a few times about the mono tracks, even as far as when he was with BCI and they were going to release some Jackie flicks then.

True, their horror film releases are outstanding, and filled with extras.

Yeah, I know it happens. I just don`t get why companies like Fortune Star do stupid sh*t like this. If I read Cantonese Mono on the packaging then I think it is "the" mono track; not a mono track. It just doesn`t make sense to me that they would go back to the original tapes and then add or change sounds and mix back down to mono. But, I guess that it is a lot cheaper to "improve" the soundtrack than to improve the pq.

Is there an ultimate thread somewhere that gives the breakdown on every HK movie released that will tell us what mixes are on what disc?:wink::smile:

(might b easier to only list the dvd or blu that get it right - that would probably be a short list)

we actually had that kind of list for some DVDs at asiandvdguide. i think it was for the Celestial Insanity going on back then.

German Trailer is uncut, it's the same, just dubbed. they cut out all kicks and punches in the UK Trailer

German Trailer is uncut, it's the same, just dubbed. they cut out all kicks and punches in the UK Trailer

Thanks for the info! I love those trailers from the old videos, brings back some great memories :bigsmile:

Guest Markgway

Uncut export trailer:

The BBFC cut footage can be found between 1:40 and 1:43 (elbows to the head and a knee to the stomach)

German dubber earning his money:

OldPangYau
Received mine today, it has the VPD/Imperial Entertainment video trailer for Police Story 2 :tongue:

Wait, the international trailer was on the Shout release? Or did I misread something? :tongue:

newgen2005
Wait, the international trailer was on the Shout release? Or did I misread something? :tongue:

Yes, it is :bigsmile: I was shocked to see it!!

Did VPD have a trailer for Police Story?. I have the UK large video box release in the loft, can't remember if that was released by VPD/Imperial!, if my memory serves me right I think the UK video was released by someone else!

Archived