Police Story I & II (Shout Factory BD Reviews)

Guest Markgway

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you kidding?

Check out this beauty! Is it Jackie Chan or Freddy Krueger?

Nothing better than both pinkification AND upconverting :sad: I need to double check my Japanese blu-ray... while I'm certain the HK cut is still an upconvert, I think the colors were better. I could be wrong though.

Killer Meteor

Dubtitles are lameo. Could just about overlook em on dvd, but on Blu Ray there's no excuse. Won't be buying these.

Did anyone see Shout's release of Killer Meteors?

lol where did they find a cut version for METEORS? never seen any cut English Print for it ever :D

Guest Markgway
lol where did they find a cut version for METEORS? never seen any cut English Print for it ever :D

Don't diss! It takes a lot of effort to fuck up that badly.

I got a screener a few weeks ago and did a short review

http://hkfilm.net/dvdrevs/jackiedouble2.htm

They don't have dubtitles. They are upscales though - Police Story 1 looks particularly fuzzy. The video quality on most of the extras is pretty poor. Except for the Hong Kong versions of the trailers, they look like they were taken from a tape or VCD.

They don't have dubtitles. They are upscales though - Police Story 1 looks particularly fuzzy. The video quality on most of the extras is pretty poor. Except for the Hong Kong versions of the trailers, they look like they were taken from a tape or VCD.

sounds like they ripped the bonus from the Japanese Bluray then, the extras there look also as if sourced from VHS & VCD...

"...the films are presented with both the English and Cantonese soundtracks with optional English subtitles (not dubtitles)."

http://www.filmmonthly.com/film/video-and-dvd/jackie-chan-double-feature-police-storypolice-story-2

Conflicting reports. Does anyone have this yet (officially comes out today, right?) and can confirm one way or the other?

Mine was shipped Monday, coming to the UK so it might take a while!!

Guest Markgway

Neil, did they fix the sync issues with the mono tracks?

Guest Markgway
I didn't watch it with the mono track but I can check it later.

Thanks.

One bit that was noticeably OOS on the IVL/Fortune Star DVD is when Jackie double headbutts Fung Hak-On in the shopping mall finale. If that helps.

Crap... I just moved and I think I left the Blu ray at my old place. I have the case but it's empty. Sorry,

Neil, did they fix the sync issues with the mono tracks?

I`ve had the disc since tuesday when it was released but just got around to watching it with the cantonese 2.0 dts-hd master audio audio option. It was in sync.

Guest Markgway
I`ve had the disc since tuesday when it was released but just got around to watching it with the cantonese 2.0 dts-hd master audio audio option. It was in sync.

Thanks. That's good to know. With in-sync mono and genuine subs this may still prove to be the best available version.

Thanks. That's good to know. With in-sync mono and genuine subs this may still prove to be the best available version.

Ok got my copy of this today from Amazon...

STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHI**Y BLURAY!!

NO ORIGINAL MONO AUDIO TRACKS!!

The audio on this is downmixed mono from the 5.1

So it has all new foley work!! So anyone that is a TRUE fan of these

movies, stick with your Dragon Dynasty DVD versions.

At least they have the original mono audio... the picture on the Bluray is only

slightly better anyhow!!

Another missed opportunity to give these films the respect they deserve!!

Guest Markgway

FUCK! Thanks for the warning, Irongod. It's utterly shocking that this is the first time we're hearing this important news. Either reviewers are too ignorant too notice, in which case they really shouldn't be reviewing these titles, or they just don't care. I came close to ordering this BD over the weekend, but held off because it was too expensive for an upscale. Glad I did. Shite Factory are making Dragon Dynasty look like fucking Criterion. This is why I sometimes hate being a HK film fan and why bootlegs and custom jobs will never die.

RogueWarrior

Get the Japanese BD release but ignore the HK edit as it's Fortune Stars upscale but the Japanese version is actually a true HD transfer. It's also the Japanese cut of the film, No English subs tho.

Well, my copy has Eng Subs I added. :)

http://youtu.be/k73RCGN_OqI

Sorry and please do not bother to ask. Not for trade.

Get the Japanese BD release but ignore the HK edit as it's Fortune Stars upscale but the Japanese version is actually a true HD transfer. It's also the Japanese cut of the film, No English subs tho.

WOW!! That looks awesome! Any chance of getting a copy?

Please PM me... pretty please!!! :bigsmile:

Ok got my copy of this today from Amazon...

STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHI**Y BLURAY!!

NO ORIGINAL MONO AUDIO TRACKS!!

The audio on this is downmixed mono from the 5.1

So it has all new foley work!! So anyone that is a TRUE fan of these

movies, stick with your Dragon Dynasty DVD versions.

At least they have the original mono audio... the picture on the Bluray is only

slightly better anyhow!!

Another missed opportunity to give these films the respect they deserve!!

It clearly states on the back of the package: Cantonese Mono - Subtitles English. But, there is also English 5.1 and Cantonese 5.1. Are you sure that you selected the correct track when you started watching it? And, what are the signs that it is a downmix? What are you comparing it to?

Your subs seem better translated than the ones I have, from that short preview.

It clearly states on the back of the package: Cantonese Mono - Subtitles English. But, there is also English 5.1 and Cantonese 5.1. Are you sure that you selected the correct track when you started watching it? And, what are the signs that it is a downmix? What are you comparing it to?

Sadly this has happened a lot. Tai Chi Master Blu ray says Cantonese mono but is just a down-mix of the 5.1 with added fx, there are many other examples...unless you know what to listen for or are very familiar with the original track then it will not be noticed.

Archived