What's your favorite triad movies?

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Here's my top 20 (in chronological order)

The Club 1981

Hong Kong Godfather 1985

A Better Tomorrow 1986

Sworn Brothers 1987

Dragon Family 1988

As Tears Go By 1988

Hero Of Tomorrow 1988

My Heart Is That Eternal Rose 1989

Long Arm Of The Law III 1989

A Moment Of Romance 1990

Angry Ranger 1991

Hong Kong Godfather 1991

To Be Number One 1991

A True Mob Story 1998

The Longest Nite 1998

Century Of The Dragon 1999

Infernal Affairs 2002

Infernal Affairs II 2003

Election 2005

Election II 2006

What are your faves?

• Like 1

You’re the real list maniac, TWC... :bigsmile:

I’ve never seen THE CLUB but otherwise I would concur with about 70 percent of your choices (the least with SWORN BROTHERS which I remember had way too many plot holes and maddeningly choppy fight scene editing). Great you acknowledge ANGRY RANGER though, not many people would give kudos to this criminally overlooked fight fest. I think other Wang Lung Wei films are also up there with this - notably BLOODY BROTHERHOOD, CITY WARRIORS and ESCAPE FROM BROTHEL.

Anyway, off the top of my head I’d add...

A HERO NEVER DIES

ORGANIZED CRIME & TRIAD BUREAU

ON THE EDGE

BEAST COPS

PORTLAND STREET BLUES

and, for a somewhat different take on the subject, the two ONCE UPON A TIME IN TRIAD SOCIETY films.

But the longer I think about it the more comes to mind... there’s really a ton of great Triad flicks out there... or rather crammed into my shelves... :nerd:

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, im a list freak.... guilty as charged.

I chose not to include films where the focus was on cops, gamblers, robbers or hitmen characters, but more street triads. Otherwise I could probably have made a top 50.

I love this sub genre, even though there are probably more bad than good triad flicks out there.

• Like 1

The Coolie Killer

A Better Tomorrow

City on Fire

Prison on Fire

School on Fire

The Killer

Full Contact

Too Many Ways To Be No. 1

The Longest Nite

A Hero Never Dies

The Mission

Election 1 & 2

Exiled

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Coolie Killer and The Killer would definitely have made my list, had I not set up the criteria mentioned. I guess I just regard them hitman movies as the protagonists themselves are not actually triads.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

The more I read "Dying to Belong" the more I wish someone else had wrote it (hint TibetanWhiteCrane, DiP several others) in comparing Triad films with American Gangster movies (have to have a good knowledge of 1930s Gangster movies). I have more complaints since I wrote in the book thread, but I digress.

In my head I tend to lump triad/cop/hitman films together, but my favorites with your gangster protagonist distinctions are The Mission, Infernal Affairs 2, Infernal Affairs, A Better Tomorrow, Election, Election 2, Long Arm of the Law, The Longest Nite, Hong Kong Godfather (85), A Better Tomorrow 2.

I'm suspecting there is no DVD release of The Club. Is there or is it just found on VHS?

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

No official release for The Club, sadly..... though there are some decent rips out there, I know BigRogie has a widescreen version for instance.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
You’re the real list maniac, TWC... :bigsmile:

I’ve never seen THE CLUB but otherwise I would concur with about 70 percent of your choices (the least with SWORN BROTHERS which I remember had way too many plot holes and maddeningly choppy fight scene editing). Great you acknowledge ANGRY RANGER though, not many people would give kudos to this criminally overlooked fight fest. I think other Wang Lung Wei films are also up there with this - notably BLOODY BROTHERHOOD

Sworn Brothers is far from perfect, but it's just so grim and cruel, and Peter Yang is the ultimate Triad Boss sleazoid.... using his own pregnant daughter as a human shield... classy.

Angry Ranger's biggest fault is that Ben Lam doesn't really have the charisma to carry a movie, and his character is actually causing a lot of the problems of the movie, rather than being a victim of it. He's just too cocky and arrogant to be truly likable, but the action from the JC stunt team is awesome.

Bloody Brotherhood is pretty good, but a step down from HK Godfather for director Wang Lung Wei.

• Like 2

I did like the YOUNG AND DANGEROUS series and their numerous spinoffs, my favorite being ONCE UPON A TIME IN TRIAD SOCIETY because Francis Ng's Kwan really messes with the viewer.

I also like RICH AND FAMOUS, SHANGHAI TRIAD, CENTURY OF THE DRAGON, JIANG HU, WAR OF THE UNDERWORLD, THE DRAGON FAMILY, and THE FINAL WINNER.

• Like 1

Shaolivevil

It seems we all have so many favorites in common. These are mine off the top of my head:

A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2

The Club

Hong Kong Godfather

Long Arm Of The Law

Full Contact

Rich And Famous

Tragic Hero

Election 1 & 2

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Love Full Contact, but I personally wouldn't regard as a triad movie. CYF is a bouncer, and Simon and his people seem more like an independent stick up gang. Though they are certainly criminals, the lot of them.

• Like 1

I'm sure I will miss some here. But off the top of my head.

Young & Dangerous series

Infernal Affairs

Election

City on Fire

A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2

Rich & Famous

SPL

• Like 1

Man, every time I think I'm pretty well traveled in a genre of Asian cinema I come here and just get humbled. So many good ones to add to my queue - quite a few unavailable that I will keep my eye out for!

Anybody mention God of Gamblers as a "Triad" film?

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Was looking for a triad film thread and apparently I made one myself 7 years ago.

My top 20 will probably have changed a bit, but let me just add some more cool genre efforts that doesn't get much props. Are they all masterpieces? No. But if all you want is some solid triad entertainment, you can't really go wrong with any of these.

True Colours '86

A Bloody Fight '88

Fury '88

A Fiery Family '89

A Killer's Blues '90

Dragon in Jail '90

Gangland Odyssey '90

My Hero '90

No Way Back '90

Return Engagement '90

Phantom War '91

Gun and Rose '92

Prince of Temple Street '92

A Moment of Romance 2 '93

Return to a Better Tomorrow '94

To Live and Die in Tsim Sha Tsui '94

Tragic Fantasy: The Tiger of Wanchai '94

Man Wanted '95

Streets of Fury '96

Street Angels '96

War of the Underworld '96

To Be No. 1 '96

Portland Street Blues '98

Metade Fumaca '99

A War Named Desire '00

Goodbye, Mr. Cool '01

On the Edge '06

• Like 3

I'm not really in this kind of movies and I think that I must have some dvds of these list still unwatched, but I watched the three Infernal Affairs years ago, and it seems to me that I had enjoyed them, though I was a little bit disappointed By the third one.

Does First shot fit your criteria ? Though the main focus is on the cops, there is also a solid triad boss, there.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, my personal criteria for triad movies are a little loose, but mainly that the leads or at least one of them is a triad and that it is mainly about the crime life and triad culture. If the leads are cops and the triads are just the bad guys I don't really label it as such..... but it's a bit up in the air.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, that's a good one, though going more for stylized action with Fung Hak On at the helm and the Osh doing her thing.

• Like 2

Mine would be:

The Club

The Killer

Killers Romance

Beast cops

Chinatown Kid (long version)

Godfather from Canton

Rich and famous

Tragic Hero

Just heroes

Better tomorrow

Young and dangerous series

Personally while election 1 and 2 were decent i feel that Johnny To's films are a bit too relaxingly paced for me or it could just be that i find the 80s and early 90s aesthetic more in line with my tastes.

• Like 4

My favorite would probably be between "The Game Changer(2017)" and "The Killer(1989)". I also quite like "Chasing the Dragon(2017)".  

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 3/8/2013 at 6:35 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Sworn Brothers is far from perfect, but it's just so grim and cruel, and Peter Yang is the ultimate Triad Boss sleazoid.... using his own pregnant daughter as a human shield... classy.

Why has director David Lai and star Andy Lau's follow-up to 'Sworn Brothers', 'Runaway Blues', escaped a mention on this list over the course of 8 years!? I recently gave it a first time watch, and would definitely rank it as one of the superior triad movies out there. Check out the full review treatment I gave it over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/runaway-blues-1988-review/

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Why has director David Lai and star Andy Lau's follow-up to 'Sworn Brothers', 'Runaway Blues', escaped a mention on this list over the course of 8 years!? I recently gave it a first time watch, and would definitely rank it as one of the superior triad movies out there. Check out the full review treatment I gave it over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/runaway-blues-1988-review/

I need to revisit.... I remember liking parts of it, but felt the Andy/Kelvin fight felt way out of place and a few other gripes. Traded away my DVD back in the day, but it's on the list again for a re-buy.

• Like 2