As The Light Goes Out (2013)

AlbertV

Production has just wrapped on a new firefighter film called SPECIAL RESCUE HEROES (DUT JUNG GAU WOON YING HUNG). The film stars Nicholas Tse, Shawn Yue, Simon Yam, Hu Jun, and Andy Tien (aka Andy On). Derek Kwok directed the film and not much is known about the plot, but Tse and Yue stayed in character practically throughout the shoot.

http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2013/02/20130208-nicholas-tse-and-shawn-yue.html

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really didn't care for it. There were some trippy visuals, but the movie moved too slowly, robbing dangerous/dramatic scenes of tension. The subs often seemed to be poorly-translated.

Still deciding whether or not to give this a shot. I don't wanna see another Backdraft, Lifeline and other similar films with the same themes and formulas.

Still deciding whether or not to give this a shot. I don't wanna see another Backdraft, Lifeline and other similar films with the same themes and formulas.

Lifeline was a much better film I thought. Still I think this is a little different as the 2nd half of the movie is more like The Towering Inferno

overall, I thought this was the best Hong Kong firefighter movie yet. the Jackie Chan cameo and heroic bloodshed elements just seal the deal. I've only seen 3, and am only aware of 3 though. As the Light Goes Out>Lifeline>Out of Inferno

You mean that film from the Pang Brothers? It got really bad reviews.

Ummm no. I mean the Classic 1974 film starring Steve McQueen & Paul Newman.

lol I have to give To's Lifeline a shot again. I remember I watched it in the context of watching A HERO NEVER DIES, THE LONGEST NITE and EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED and it fell flat...

Ummm no. I mean the Classic 1974 film starring Steve McQueen & Paul Newman.

My bad, whenever I see "Inferno" in relation to firefighting films I always think of the Pang Brothers' film.

masterofoneinchpunch
lol I have to give To's Lifeline a shot again. I remember I watched it in the context of watching A HERO NEVER DIES, THE LONGEST NITE and EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED and it fell flat...

You will have to regard the disregard for actor's safety :). (now I'm a little annoyed with myself for not writing on the movie.) I love the scenes with fire and destruction. I'm not sure I was as happy with the melodramatic content, but I also need to rewatch this.

Lifeline is pretty good. The action scenes are brilliantly staged the the chemistry between Lau Ching-Wan and Carmen Lee is lovely. Need to rewatch this myself.

Well Go is releasing the DVD and Blu-Ray on November 18. Will post a review tomorrow on my non-MA film blog as I got an advanced copy and watched it tonight.

Quick trivia: The visual effects were done by Post Production Office..and guess who is the founder and CEO of Post Production Office? Nicholas Tse himself!

Archived