Friend 2 (2013)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

A sequel has been announced to the 2001 hit Korean movie 'Friend' (http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?p=173051), and is set to be directed by Kwak Gyeong-taek, the man responsible for the original and the 2009 drama adaptation.

It's already been confirmed that Yoo Oh-seong will return as Joon Sook, who was jailed at the end of the original for the death of the character played by Jang Dong-gun. Kim Woo-bin will be taking the role of Jang Dong-gun's son. While no details of the story have been release yet, filming is set to begin at the end of April.

For anyone who hasn't seen the original, now is a great time to check out a classic of modern Korean cinema.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent! Friend is my favourite Korean film and one of my all time favourites in general.

Friend was the film that introduced me to Korean cinema...and I can't wait to see how this sequel comes out :)

This is great news!!!! Friend is one of those movies that sealed my deal for Korean cinema. =D Thanks One-Armed!

Twitch has posted one of the first reviews of the movie, and as I feared it seems that director Kwak Gyeong-taek has lost the golden touch he once had. I'll probably give this one a miss -

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/12/review-friend-2-shares-little-with-its-predecessor.html

That review doesn't stop me from wanting to see it. Man, you just can't trust reviews these days. The other day, I watched JOBS (Ashton Kutcher…yeah, I know) . Movie got the worst reviews ever, and it ended up being pretty cool. But then again, maybe my expectations were at the all-time lowest.

Also, New World was overrated to me.

Not anywhere remotely good as the 1st one. Seems like everyone needed a paycheck. The story lacked the drama and character development of the 1st one. They tried to emotionally draw you in but it didn't work for me.

The 1st one was popular in Korea due to people being nostalgic about growing up in the 70's and 80's during Korean modernization. The story in the 1st movie was actually based on the rise of the Chil Sung Pa (7 star) gang from Busan. The director paid the gangsters off.

I got an advanced copy of the US DVD yesterday. I started to watch it but fell asleep and my job has the original Friend on Hong Kong All-region DVD so I checked it out as a refresher. I will be watching both movies after my shift.

The US DVD comes out Tuesday.

The reviews for both will appear on my non-MA film blog, Reviews and Thoughts :)

Archived