Rate Jet Li's movies...

DiP

At least in Cradle to the grave there were hint of martial arts, whereas White Snake was complete rubbush... I apologize if there is something deisturbing for you, however it is my personal opinion :)

Greetings

if you base them on martial arts movies.. you have a point... I was just meaning as a movie overall. I really liked White Snake.. but yeah it would be a terrible martial arts film

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeru the Damaja

Haven't seen anyone rate Legend of the Swordsman yet unless I overlooked it. I've never seen it so I'm interested to know what the consensus around here is on it?

Noelle Shadow Kick
what did you all think dr wai? I have both versions and still haven't watched the eng dub cut.

I haven't seen the english dub, but I liked Dr Wai. I thought it was entertaining and super fun, though I certainly wouldn't rank it as a top Jet movie. An entertaining watch though!

Noelle Shadow Kick
Haven't seen anyone rate Legend of the Swordsman yet unless I overlooked it. I've never seen it so I'm interested to know what the consensus around here is on it?

Swordsman wasnt for me. I felt it was strange and didn't enjoy the action. For people super into wuxia it would be more enjoyable I would think though.

i did! :-) Swordsman 2 ;-) never knew it had another title. I really like Siu-tung Ching movies... its also produced by Hark.. so.. while not really a martial arts movie i think its pretty awesome.

One Armed Boxer

'Swordsman 2' is a fantastic movie in my opinion, and the one that introduced me to the early 90s onslaught of New Wave wuxia movies, filled with extremely complex and imaginative wire-fu and ridiculously convoluted plots, they just had a certain manic energy to them which was hard to beat.

The only movie I can think of in recent times which has managed to capture that same fluidity and gracefulness from that era is 'Reign of Assassins'.

The Amazing Psycho Per

i just copied the list in the first post and removed the titles I didn't feel like rating, so I totally forgot about Swordsman 2. Me I love it. Definately not a martial arts movie, but there is a lot of crazy stuff going on in there. Just be aware that if wires are not your thing, you better stay clear.

I actually preferred the theatrical cut of 'Fearless' over the directors cut. It seems to flow a lot better, and wisely omits the pointless speech by Michelle Yeoh at the start, set in the present day and clearly only there because at the time of release it was only a couple of years until Beijing would be hosting the Olympics

It's been a while since I've seen it and it's due another watch but I remember the village scene, which is the heart of the film IMO being more fleshed out in the directors cut. Isn't there a whole extra side story about his relationship with a cow? I thought these little touches elevated it above your normal martial fare. Agree regarding the Michelle Yeoh scenes though, takes you out of the main film.

Completely forgot about Swordsmen 2 and Dr Wai, both Ching Sui Tung movies. Swordsmen 2 is awesome, completely mad but a real assault on the senses with beautiful art direction. Dr Wai is ok, not my favourite though but a couple good fights and a weird rat creature.

what did you all think dr wai? I have both versions and still haven't watched the eng dub cut.

Haven't bothered to watch the entire thing but the action scenes are entertaining if you like Ching Siu Tung's style of action extravaganza. The scene with the ninjas and a sword-wielding Billy Chow is the highlight.

ShaOW!linDude

I actually prefer Dr. Wai because I found the fights to be superior over Swordsman 2 which to me was a big disappointing wire-fest and not what I wanted in a Jet Li film at the time I bought it.

One Armed Boxer
I actually prefer Dr. Wai because I found the fights to be superior over Swordsman 2 which to me was a big disappointing wire-fest and not what I wanted in a Jet Li film at the time I bought it.

That's fair enough, I'm curious to know when you originally watched it?

I think the internet has done a lot to educate the uninitiated on the various sub-genres that fall under kung-fu cinema, certainly for me anyway, and particularly that of the wuxia pien. If I watched it when it first came out, perhaps I also would have been disappointed. However to me now the thought of watching a wuxia movie without wires is the equivalent of watching a kung-fu movie without fights, they're a staple of the genre used to emphasize the fantastical elements of the martial arts world.

I watch a wuxia movie primarily for the chance to get caught up in that world, and I watch a kung-fu movie for the fights. I think they're both very different genres that don't hold the same expectations, but at the same time there's no way an unskilled performer could pull off the wire assisted moves you see in the likes of 'Swordsman 2', so they're still both physically challenging action genres which is why I enjoy them so much.

ShaOW!linDude

@ OAB:

Let's see....I guess I watched Swordsman 2 around the late 90's/early 2000's. Was just starting to be able to get my hands on some early Jet Li work. It was not what I expected and not what I wanted.

Your perspectives are absolutely valid and I agree with them. I like the pageantry of wuxia films but hate the "action". It's like it uses the best elements of the older Shaw Bros. films but lacks the heart and style of the action. The emphasis seems to be more on myth than martial arts.

Now, so as not to derail this thread, here's my 2 cents regarding Jet's filmography. No particular rating; these are the ones I think are his best. Everything else?....meh.

Shaolin Temple

Shaolin Temple 2: Kids From Shaolin

Born To Defense

Dragon Fight

The Master

Tai Chi Master

The Bodyguard From Beijing

Fist of Legend

My Father The Hero

Dr. Wai and the Scriptures With No Words

Black Mask

Hitman

Lethal Weapon 4

Kiss of the Dragon

The One

Unleashed/Danny the Dog

Fearless

Forbidden Kingdom

The OUTIC franchise: I like them but they push the limits of what I can tolerate in films that have a wuxia theme/flavor.

The Director's Cut adds around 35 minutes of additional footage into the movie. It makes the film even better in my opinion.

Thank you, also Ramjii and One Armed Boxer, I didnt know that about the directors cut:nerd:

Archived