Yasuaki Kurata

Keung

DragonClaws

Japanese actor went from outsider to influential master of Hong Kong's martial arts scene

From Bruce Lee to Jackie Chan, Yasuaki Kurata has crossed paths with Hong Kong's biggest screen legends by Nora Tam & Oliver Chou

Source- https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1841347/japanese-actor-went-outsider-influential-master-hong-kongs-martial

kungfu-master.jpg?itok=J3jy2u7R

• Like 5

I don't remember which movie in which he played I recently watched, but I noticed that he was credited as Akira Kurata, which surprised me a little bit...

Ah, yes, I think that it was in Four riders, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 3

Omni Dragon
19 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I don't remember which movie in which he played I recently watched, but I noticed that he was credited as Akira Kurata, which surprised me a little bit...

Ah, yes, I think that it was in Four riders, if I'm not mistaken.

You're not mistaken:

823949701_FourRiders1972-105-b.thumb.jpg.16189970066d1d1d3734054efd0f02e0.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for confirming.

By the way, there is something that disturbs me a little bit in this movie : who are supposed to be the four guys who walk in the snow at the beginning of the movie (since the four friends meet later in the movie) and at the end ?

Is it supposed to be a kind of allegory meaning that they meet again in Paradise (at least at the end of the movie) after their deaths, and if so, what is the meaning at the beginning of the movie ?

• Like 4

I always thought since the title of the film was Four Riders that they were meant to represent the four horsemen of the apocalypse. I don't know if the beginning scene is meant to be taken literally.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Takuma said:

Speaking of G-Men 75, Toei Channel is going to air the entire series on TV starting this month. 355 episodes, all remastered from new 4K scans.

https://www.toeich.jp/program/1T0000012404/202112

Thanks for sharing that news here @Takuma, is this the first time the serie has been restored like this?.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks for sharing that news here @Takuma, is this the first time the serie has been restored like this?.

I think so. There were DVD sets with selected episodes, but that was almost 20 years ago.

• Like 2

Just now, Takuma said:

I think so. There were DVD sets with selected episodes, but that was almost 20 years ago.

They were pretty pricey from what I recall?, or maybe I was a bit late in discovering them and the sets had gone up in value?.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 1:44 AM, DragonClaws said:

They were pretty pricey from what I recall?, or maybe I was a bit late in discovering them and the sets had gone up in value?.

Japanese releases are always pricey. Most of them are still in print, but some have gone OOP so yeah, those would have gone up, but most were expensive from the start.

• Like 3