Yasuaki Kurata

Keung

DragonClaws

Here's my latest review, featuring Yasuaki Kurata stealing the show.

Meng Fei as ChowP hing-Shing battle Master Tu Pien played Yasuaki Kurata, in a scene from the film.

TheKingBoxer2.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

TheKungFuRobber

I quite like Kurata, he's a very good actor and kind of underappreciated really. I suppose he broke through boundaries in Hong Kong, as he was perhaps one of the first Japanese men to break through the old anti-Japanese sentiment prevalent Hong Kong cinema and be cast as a protagonistic main character in a lot of productions. I have a soft spot for his film Bloodfight, which was the only movie he produced himself as a co-production with a crew of Japanese, American and Hong Kong film veterans taking up the production. He's had a long and prolific career, and it's good to see he is still involved in film.

Here's Bloodfight in 1080p for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's an English dubbed copy.

• Like 5

TheKungFuRobber

This is quite an insightful interview from Kurata, he talks about his movies and his thoughts on Hong Kong cinema and working with Sammo Hung, Ng See Yuen (who he refers to as the Speilberg of China) and Jackie Chan. He also talks about meeting Bruce Lee.

• Like 4

DragonClaws

More villainous screen-antics from Yasuaki kurata, when he doubles crosses Chan Sing's charcter in Black Panther.

YasuakiKurata4.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

DragonClaws

“There are 24 hours in a day. Two should be used to train your willpower.” - Yasuaki Kurata

image.png

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

DragonClaws

Yasuaki Kurata steals the show, in this low budget Fist of Fury clone. Click on the link below for my complete King of Boxer's themed ramble.

1404.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Zhan Gua Ren

large.362366367_Samurai200201.jpg

Samurai

Yasuaki Kurata representing the Bushido spirit with some old school Tonfa based action!

• Like 4

DragonClaws

"Japanese actors stood too far away from each other [in fighting scenes], and they said my kick was scary because it came so close that they could feel the wind caused by it," Kurata said. "That convinced me I had to have my own stunt team."

Kurata set up his own team and taught Hong Kong-style fighting choreography. Since then, the club has been successively producing internationally recognised action movie directors and others.

Japan's top karate action star celebrates 40th anniversary of stunt team

Link- https://www.asiaone.com/entertainment/japans-top-karate-action-star-celebrates-40th-anniversary-stunt-team

20150617_stunts_JapanANN.jpg

Best Actress Stephy Tang and Best Actor Yasuaki Kurata 2018.

Source- http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2018/03/20180309-yasuaki-kurata-makes-romantic.html

59de8e87e231efe8232d8409d7070b3b.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Here's one from the archives, dusted off this old review for @CT KID.  It was lost during the forum blackout in 2016, and I'd forgotten to re-post it. Tap/Click on the link belw, for my re-heated rambling's, thank you.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Yasuaki Kurata play's adopted cold killer Sakada, in Little Godfather from Hong Kong. Please Click/Tap on th link below, for my thoughts on this one, thank you.

the-godfather-squad-md-web.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Yasuaki Kurata play's adopted cold killer Sakada, in Little Godfather from Hong Kong. Please Click/Tap on th link below, for my thoughts on this one, thank you.

the-godfather-squad-md-web.jpg

Haven't seen this one, seems like it would make a good companion piece with Kidnap in Rome which I was watching last night. Liang was taking out alot of bigger, taller Italian mobsters in it with his awesome kicks. The negative though was he didn't have Kurata to fight as the main villain.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, DragonClaws said:

More villainous screen-antics from Yasuaki kurata, when he doubles crosses Chan Sing's charcter in Black Panther.

YasuakiKurata4.jpg

Think I'll watch this one tonight, it's been a long time since I viewed my English dubbed German DVD. Read your review and it's peaked my interest to see it again, thanks!

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 5:47 PM, CT KID said:

Read your review and it's peaked my interest to see it again, thanks!

What did you think to this one second time round @CT KID.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

What did you think to this one second time round @CT KID.

I really enjoyed it, especially the end fight in the log yard. I noticed Kurata was wearing Adidas sneakers so he could get more traction and fluidity on those kicks. Chen Sing really had this type of brooding, rage filled character down pat, it was definitely his niche. And he may have been kinda stiff and not very flexible but he made up for it in power and charisma. I also watched Kung Fu The Invisible Fist again and changed my mind, I think it is better overall than Rage of Wind. The fights are crisper and better choreographed. I'm sure the widescreen presentation played a part too, the Rage of Wind DVD I have is crappy fullscreen and cuts off too much of the picture. Since being on a early 70's basher kick this week I've gotta watch Call Me Dragon next, I remember it being one hell of a basher and kickfest between Liang and Kurata!

Edited by CT KID
  • Like 2

On 10/20/2019 at 6:48 PM, CT KID said:

I noticed Kurata was wearing Adidas sneakers so he could get more traction and fluidity on those kicks.

The entire last fight could be an advert, just for those trainer's. The pair cover a lot of ground, in yet anohter highly charged finale.

Chen Sing really had this type of brooding, rage filled character down pat, it was definitely his niche. And he may have been kinda stiff and not very flexible but he made up for it in power and charisma.

Ditto, this kind of role he made his own in the 70's to early 80's. He was a well built guy, who was naturally a lot bigger than many of his co-star's.

I'm sure the widescreen presentation played a part too, the Rage of Wind DVD I have is crappy fullscreen and cuts off too much of the picture. Since being on a early 70's basher kick this week I've gotta watch Call Me Dragon next, I remember it being one hell of a basher and kickfest between Liang and Kurata!

Without a doubt, the fight's look a whole lot better when seen in the original aspect ratio. Just ask @TheKungFuRobber about this subject, he created a good thread on the topic awhile back. @NoKUNGFUforYU might be able to sort you out with a WideScreen edition of Rage of The Wind?. He was the one who helped sort me out with a physical copy of Black Panther.

Yet to watch Call Me Dragon(1974), unless it's one I've forget about seeing. Though it sounds like it would be too memorable to do so. Watched so many of these movies, before I had a break from the genre. With similar plots and casts, some flicks can blur into each other.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Without a doubt, the fight's look a whole lot better when seen in the original aspect ratio. Just ask @TheKungFuRobber about this subject, he created a good thread on the topic awhile back. @NoKUNGFUforYU might be able to sort you out with a WideScreen edition of Rage of The Wind?. He was the one who helped sort me out with a physical copy of Black Panther.

Yet to watch Call Me Dragon(1974), unless it's one I've forget about seeing. Though it sounds like it would be too memorable to do so. Watched so many of these movies, before I had a break from the genre. With similar plots and casts, some flicks can blur into each other.

Oh yeah I know all about the advantages of watching movies in widescreen, especially when it  comes to the action scenes and how that ratio allows you to see more of what's happening. My grandfather use to see me watching widescreen 2.35 movies like the Celestial Shaws and say "Why do you want to watch half of a movie for?" because he thought the black bars on the screen were cutting alot of the picture out. When I explained to him you could actually see more of the full picture that way because it's from a wider distance he couldn't understand at first because his whole life he was used to seeing everything on TV fullscreen lol. I got Call Me Dragon from flashlegsrare back in the late 2000's and it's probably the best showcase of Kurata's kicking I've seen from what I remember. He and Liang put on a great show, sadly my copy is fullscreen. Still haven't had a chance to rewatch this one yet!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CT KID said:

I got Call Me Dragon from flashlegsrare back in the late 2000's and it's probably the best showcase of Kurata's kicking I've seen from what I remember.

I'm sold on this statment alone, and as you know to fully appreciate his kicking see it in Widescreen. Many actors and films I simply didnt rate during my early interest in this genre. Due to the heavy cropping of their movies.

• Like 2