Birth of the Dragon (new Bruce biopic)

teako170

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, shaolin swords said:

believe it or not I like it more for the story then actual fights in the movie the fights in the flick is ok its the story that gets me and I agree with you it was most likely short and ugly but according to the movie not saying its the truth but at the end the reason why the say bruce won the fight ant the reason you think you just got to watch it

I've read and listned to a lot of stories around this event, most of it I dont recall. Wasnt there something about WJM tripping over as he tried to avoid BL strikes??.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

The late James Wing Woo, a local Kung Fu master, was not exactly a Bruce Lee fan. An ex boxer in the Navy, as well as brawler himself he basically said something to the fact that neither had a mark on them a few days later. As we all know, even winning an epic fight would leave marks on both of them, unless it was a one punch knockout, and that was not the case. Someone said something interesting, as there are many practitioners that claim to be "streetfighters" (what is a streetfighter, anyway? Goes to bars and gets in brawls? Challenges people to duels?) but when a search is done, no arrests, no lawsuits, no hospital stays or doctors visits. Also a Lum fellow had said that he saw WJM and he only had a scratch above his eye from Lee's attempt at a finger jab. I really doubt it was much more than a scuffle, and would not have looked anywhere as impressive as current UFC fights, where people are used to all phases of combat and contact. 

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Great post @NoKUNGFUforYU, the legacy of this fight has grown far bigger than the actual encounter itself.

It was unlucky for WJM to have falen the way he did, that was just bad luck. Had it happened to BL, then the result may have been different. Things like this occur in fights, sometimes luck pays a much bigger part than actual skill.

Look at that famous boxing match between Jake La Motta and Sugar Ray Robinson. Robinson was the better and more skilled fighter, but he couldnt knock La Motta down. Was La Motta the real winner for being so tough and not quitting?, or should the win have gone to Robinson?. Organised crime's involvment in Boxing, especially from this era, often makes it hard to really say who won some of these legedary boxing fights. Many were reporrtdly fixed, in order to maximise profits from the many bets, being placed on the fight, both legal and illegal. Sorry for derailing the thread slightly here.

• Like 2

shaolin swords

well I don't believe the fight was all flashy and amazing because real fight are not like how they make it look in the movie its the whole story that I really loved about the movie @DragonClaws you just got to watch the movie I think you will be shocked don't listen to what peoples got to say watch it judge it for your self because in my opinion its a dope flick

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 5/17/2018 at 11:06 PM, shaolin swords said:

well I don't believe the fight was all flashy and amazing because real fight are not like how they make it look in the movie its the whole story that I really loved about the movie @DragonClaws you just got to watch the movie I think you will be shocked don't listen to what peoples got to say watch it judge it for your self because in my opinion its a dope flick

You might have watched this before, I know you have seen a lot of BL/Kung Fu movie rlated stuff over the years.

Skip ten-minutes into the film, and there's a short section that might interest you @shaolin swords.

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer

As mentioned earlier, Matthew Polly tweeted that Wong Jack Man died.

@MatthewEPolly

I just heard that Wong Jack Man (Bruce Lee's rival in their infamous kung fu fight in Oakland) has passed away. May he rest in peace. By all accounts, he was an excellent sifu with a large following of devoted and grateful disciples.

• Like 2

For those U.K fans, who were divided by different opinions, and didnt pick ths up, you can now can get it for a whopping £2.99 in HMV or via their online store.

919snMaaRhL._SL1500_.jpg

32 minutes ago, saltysam said:

don't think their online store is open. You can go to the site but can't order anything.

Thanks for pointing this out @saltysam, do you have a local store you can go to?. Their mail order servicce might be down, due to them being bought out etc?.

Edited by DragonClaws