Birth of the Dragon (new Bruce biopic)

teako170

I'm going to put it out there - this sounds like a fucking horrible idea.

I may not be the biggest fan of Bruce Lee's filmography but his legacy speaks volumes. And now we're going to get some kind of buddy cop movie where he takes on gangsters? Forgive my pessimism here but that plot line, in the hands of Hollywood, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

And how will play Bruce Lee? Channing Tatum? It's not like Hollywood has a catalog of Asian leads they can choose from and you would think they'd want a recognizable face for this one.

I don't know, I'm just not excited. It sounds like film ideas are thin on the ground again and so tainting a legacy is, once again, the path taken.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I may not be the biggest fan of Bruce Lee's filmography but his legacy speaks volumes. And now we're going to get some kind of buddy cop movie where he takes on gangsters? Forgive my pessimism here but that plot line, in the hands of Hollywood, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

And how will play Bruce Lee? Channing Tatum? It's not like Hollywood has a catalog of Asian leads they can choose from and you would think they'd want a recognizable face for this one.

I don't know, I'm just not excited. It sounds like film ideas are thin on the ground again and so tainting a legacy is, once again, the path taken.

CGI Bruce Lee??? Hey if they can CG most of Bruce Willis in Good Day To Die Shit, it could work?

Secret Executioner

Am I missing something or is Hollywood going Bruceploitation now ?! :eek:

ShaOW!linDude

I must have missed something but I don't recall reading anything in either article that suggested this would/could play as a "buddy action" movie. Regardless, I'm leery of this but we'll see what happens....if it should even get made.

It's doubtful this film will get beyond the planning stage. there have been many Lee related/ biopics announced that never got made. I must admit to liking the Danny Chan trailer...has that made it into release? Looks a lot better than the china made tv series.

I must have missed something but I don't recall reading anything in either article that suggested this would/could play as a "buddy action" movie. Regardless, I'm leery of this but we'll see what happens....if it should even get made.

I'm simply pessimistically assuming it'll go that way as it mentions Bruce and Wong Jack Man teaming up to fight Chinatown gangsters.

It may not be a cheesy buddy movie but, the way Hollywood works these days, I wouldn't be surprised.

... I must admit to liking the Danny Chan trailer...has that made it into release? Looks a lot better than the china made tv series.

It does. What's interesting is this was put together in homage to Bruce Lee. It's not a real film. Maybe the thought was to stir interests that would lead to financing for an actual production. In any case, I'd love to see Chan in one of the unfinished scripts originally written for Lee; Green Bamboo Warrior, Nin Kan Yiu, or the like, playing the roles in Lee's acting manner along with a reputable choreographer.

• Like 1

Has there ever been a dipiction of the duel on film before?Anywhere?There could still be a good movie in here somewhere:squigglemouth: Somebody call Sammo!!!

• Like 1

It's doubtful this film will get beyond the planning stage. there have been many Lee related/ biopics announced that never got made. I must admit to liking the Danny Chan trailer...has that made it into release? Looks a lot better than the china made tv series.

Actually, it is still in development because one name had popped up in terms of possibly playing Bruce: Mike Moh, who played Ryu in Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist, was mentioned as being looked at for playing Bruce in the film, but has recently admitted that he came up short. 

But casting is currently underway, according to reports from August. 

Edited by AlbertV

Phantom Dreamer

The producers of Birth of the Dragon are doing their best trolling Bruce Lee fans with this ETD inspired poster.

19961415_806183802888237_8609840126823737328_n.jpg

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

The producers of Birth of the Dragon are doing their best trolling Bruce Lee fans with this ETD inspired poster.

19961415_806183802888237_8609840126823737328_n.jpg

Pulling a slick move..

OpiumKungFuCracker

Early reviews are in!!!

https://nextshark.com/bruce-lee-birth-of-the-dragon-2017-review/

VERDICT

In the end, if you’re looking to watch a film that accurately portrays Bruce Lee’s life and highlights his struggles with racism and development as a martial artist, this film is NOT for you and you’ll be utterly disappointed. Hopefully, Shannon Lee’s upcoming film about her late father will help us fill that void, which I’m extremely excited for.However, if you’re looking to watch a film with a mostly Asian cast, packed with epic fight scenes, choreography, and a cool (but fictional) story-line, I suggest you check out this film. After watching the film for myself, I will admit that it was actually pretty entertaining to watch and the climax was pretty epic.If we want to criticize the makers of the film for not being accurate to the original story, then we’d also need to criticize the “IP Man” trilogy with Donnie Yen, which is a heavily dramatized film series of the late mentor of Bruce Lee (come on! Ip Man never fought Mike Tyson!). In the end, this is a movie and we all know how much sensationalism and dramatization Hollywood does to make things more interesting for the audience.“I didn’t sign up to do a biopic I signed up to do a kick ass kung fu movie — something that hasn’t been done in English in a very long time. This is not a biopic, it’s a Hollywood dramatization about a highly controversial, massively disputed real life fight that indisputably sowed the seeds of Jeet Kune Do and, ultimately, the Mixed Martial Arts movement,” Nolfi said.“I mean, it’s like a fun kung fu movie and I don’t know how else to describe it. Obviously it’s based on an actual event, but it’s not a documentary. It’s akin to those ‘Ip Man’ movies, or the ‘Once Upon a Time in China’” movies where they take an important Chinese character and then romanticize it — and it’s acceptable,” Philip Ng added.

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

I wanna see this so bad. When is this supposed to be out? A loosely based Bruce Lee movie where he gets to kick ass in his disco's 70s suit??? Come on, this is going to rule your mothers!!!

• Like 1

DragonClaws
15 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I wanna see this so bad. When is this supposed to be out? A loosely based Bruce Lee movie where he gets to kick ass in his disco's 70s suit??? Come on, this is going to rule your mothers!!!

You might enjoy the Making Of video, it's been posted over at CityOnFire.Com.

Link- http://cityonfire.com/is-hollywood-planning-a-pseudo-sequel-to-dragon-the-bruce-lee-story/

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2