Revenge of the Green Dragons - Scorsese and Lau

AlbertV

Dark Horizons:

Martin Scorsese has hopped onboard as executive producer on the thriller "Revenge Of The Green Dragons" which IM Global's Octane is financing.

Andrew Lau, the director of "Infernal Affairs" which Scorsese remade as "The Departed," is helming 'Dragons' which is set in 1980s New York City.

The story follows two immigrant brothers who join the Green Dragons gang and quickly rise up the ranks, becoming notorious to the city’s police.

When an ill-fated love affair pits one of the brothers against the gang leader, he sets out for revenge on the group.

Michael Di Jiacomo wrote the script, based on the true story chronicled by the New Yorker in 1992. Filming aims to begin in April.

My Opinion:

After Lau got screwed over by the producers of THE FLOCK, having Scorsese on his side should be a plus. After all, Scorsese did do a helluva job on THE DEPARTED and Lau even assisted on the film with giving input to screenwriter William Monahan. I would check this out as long as it is done right.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was about to post this after seeing Film Business Asia posting news about the project.

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/lau-to-direct-ny-set-green-dragons?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm really interested in this. I don't believe there's has been a Hollywood crime movie properly showcasing Asian organized/street level crime in America for a long time now. And having Scorsese as executive producer is a big plus because he's one of the biggest names in the genre.

Shooting has been completed...it's currently in post-production.

The film stars Justin Chon (21 & OVER), Kevin Wu, Harry Shum Jr. (GLEE), Ron Yuan (GIRL FROM THE NAKED EYE and a bunch of 90's martial arts films), and Eugenia Yuan (daughter of Cheng Pei-Pei) as well as Ray Liotta.

The film was co-directed by two Andrews, Andrew Lau Wai-Keung and Andrew Loo Wing-Han with Martin Scorsese serving as producer.

Don't know how I missed this the first time. It sounds like it'll be killer if done correctly.

I think it will be done right this time...When Andrew Lau directed The Flock, it was the producers who recut the film and Lau was upset. Scorsese believes in using the directors' visions and don't forget, Scorsese directed The Departed, which was a remake of Andrew Lau's Infernal Affairs trilogy, With Scorsese as producer, it's just gotta be done right.

I think it will be done right this time...When Andrew Lau directed The Flock, it was the producers who recut the film and Lau was upset. Scorsese believes in using the directors' visions and don't forget, Scorsese directed The Departed, which was a remake of Andrew Lau's Infernal Affairs trilogy, With Scorsese as producer, it's just gotta be done right.

Yeah, you're right there Albert.

I wonder if it'll get an international cinema release. With Scorsese involved it ought to.

This could be the Year of the Dragon of the 2010s.

lol Good analogy. Only YEAR OF THE DRAGON really IS an 80's movie. =D Love that movie!

As far as this REVENGE OF THE GREEN DRAGONS coming out, I should have my head examined for not knowing about this til today! Shame on me!

Anyways, posted this and linked to New Yorker's actual 1992 story! Edit: Never mind, you have to pay to read the article. :(

Anyways, here's some set photos: I'm hoping this movie is gritty Infernal Affairs-Andrew Lau, not glammy Legend of the Fist/Stormriders-Andrew Lau….

Also, here's a

with both Andrew's… interesting.

Revengeofthegreendragonsset.jpg

Good reminder, Mpm74.

Those are some buffed-up dudes!

=D

Oh, by the way, there's sort of a teaser trailer at

(the whole press conference is interesting as well)

A. Lau's style from Infernal Affairs is there, with the typical fish-out-of-water-story from many crime films in the mix. It should be a good watch.

Trailer do look good.

I used to frequent Manhattan's Chinatown back in the 80's & 90's and even though the Green Dragons were based in Queens, just about everyone in CT at that time either knew or had heard about them.

Their trial as well as that of BTK didn't get much media attention because John Gotti was on trial at the same time & took the spotlight.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Aside from the action, I thought the dialogue and acting was very weak, Kevjumba, OH PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG, PLEASE!!! I'm rooting for Ray Liotta to hit it big again so that's a plus. Also is that the same kid from 21, that frat comedy movie awhile back? If this wasn't directed by the guys who did Infernal Affairs and no Martin Scorcese involvement, I would definitely skip this movie. Nothing against Kevjumba but PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG, PLEASE!!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker

I hope I'm not the only one that notices Kevjumba and the Drunken frat Asian dude from 21 in this? Is anyone going to question this at all? Can they pull it off? Deep down inside I want this movie to fail so bad because of those two but, PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!!! MPM74, I know you know these two guys, what do you have to say about this?

I hope I'm not the only one that notices Kevjumba and the Drunken frat Asian dude from 21 in this? Is anyone going to question this at all? Can they pull it off? Deep down inside I want this movie to fail so bad because of those two but, PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!!! MPM74, I know you know these two guys, what do you have to say about this?

lol!

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed with the trailer MAINLY for some of the dialogue alone (as you mentioned). Seems a bit cheesy to me. Some of the acting is very forced-dramatic.

I have nothing against Kevjumba or that other dude you mention, but their voices seem so soft and and fruity (in the trailer at least). lol But hey, maybe that's how these Green Dragon guys were. One thing's for sure, they ain't got nothing on Joey Chin or John Lone!

I'll still give it a chance, as long as it's not PG-13.

OpiumKungFuCracker
lol!

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed with the trailer MAINLY for some of the dialogue alone. Seems a bit cheesy to me.

I have nothing against Kevjumba or that other dude you mention, but their voices seem so soft and and fruity. lol But hey, maybe that's how these Green Dragon guys were.

I'll still give it a chance, as long as it's not PG-13.

My sentiments exactly. This is a heavyweight of a movie, big leagues man and you have those two to carry your film? It's like saying we're going to put Joey Gladstone and Jessie Consopolos in Goodfellas, nothing against full-house but Come on!!!!

................ but their voices seem so soft and and fruity (in the trailer at least). lol But hey, maybe that's how these Green Dragon guys were........
Actualy no.

Note most of the Green Dragon members were young guys - some as young as 14 & up to their mid 20th. The lead character in the movie at that time period was about 18 or 19.

I will go see the movie and will try to have an open mind.

I would like to see if the movie dispict any of their battles with the other gangs as you can't tell from the trailer - The White Tigers, Born To Kill, The Fu Chang or The Tong On.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Actually no.

I'm guessing you were there during those times since you lived in NY?.What is your opinion on casting freaking Kevjumba and drunken Asian dude from 21 and over as the Green Dragons??? I mean, were the extras from Big Trouble in Little China busy or gone old?? DEAR GOD, PROVE ME WRONG KEVJUMBA AND DRUNKEN ASIAN DUDE FROM 21 AND OVER!!! I'm also a little disappointed that this thread hasn't caught fire yet???

OpiumKungFuCracker

This would be my ideal Green Dragons cast:

YeungStance-200x300.jpg

lee-byung-hun-red2.png

Yeah I know, he's Korean.but we're talking about hard ass motherfuckers and these two fit the bill!!!! Kevjumba and drunken Asian dude from 21 and over, PROVE ME WRONG!!! I apologize for my behavior KFC community but the gangster genre is my favorite genre ever, I take it very seriously. Ray Liotta is in it for god sake!!!!

I'm guessing you were there during those times since you lived in NY?.What is your opinion on casting freaking Kevjumba and drunken Asian dude from 21 and over as the Green Dragons??? I mean, were the extras from Big Trouble in Little China busy or gone old?? DEAR GOD, PROVE ME WRONG KEVJUMBA AND DRUNKEN ASIAN DUDE FROM 21 AND OVER!!! I'm also a little disappointed that this thread hasn't caught fire yet???
Personaly I didn't know any of them but did come in contact with some of them as some of us would (stupidly) venture into areas we shouldn't go. In all the places we went, none of the gang members bother us as we were customer's buying a service - movies, food, etc,. they were more concern with other gang members coming into their turf, plus we didn't cause any trouble and was very respectful. Though there we some places that we dare not go into or near.

Those young guys fought with other gangs and had to be tough and also had to act & talk the part otherwise people as well as the other gangs wouldn't take them seriously.

As to the casting - they should have used better actors, those guys don't fit the roles.

Archived