Chinatown (Chợ Lớn ) trailer with Johnny Nguyen

gwailosforever

gwailosforever

Greetings all. Attached is the trailer for Chinatown (Bụi Đời Chợ Lớn) the new Vietnamese action film starring and action co-ordinated by Johnny Nguyen. It's directed by Johnny's brother Charlie who also helmed 'The Rebel'. Plot details are scarce at the moment, but it revolves around a gang war in Saigon's Chinatown during a 24hour period.

b9pw1sdwyYs&hd=1

The film will be released in Vietnamese cinemas this April. With this movie and 'Once Upon A Time In Vietnam' (Lua Phat) http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19581, 2013 is shaping up to be very good year for Vietnamese cinema.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trailer has a nice "Wait for it..." feel and when it finally explodes, it most certainly delivers. I'm excited for this one as I enjoyed both "The Rebel" and "Clash."

Oh and no Veronica Ngo? She looked really good in the two prior films so I would have expected to see her again. A shame, really.

ShaOW!linDude

Sweet! With a release date of April 2013, I guess we can expect the dvd by August?

Kind of missing Veronica Ng in that myself. Johnny does such a good job of choreographing her fights.

gwailosforever

It's too early to say regarding the DVD. No international sales have been made yet, although I'm sure it's only a matter of time before deals are struck. Both 'The Rebel' and 'Clash' travelled far. It's unlikely to get any sort of legit DVD release in Vietnam as they have no legitimate home entertainment market! All pirates!

You can find the official facebook page for the film here https://www.facebook.com/BuiDoiChoLon?fref=ts All in Vietnamese but plenty of cool photos

A movie set in Chợ Lớn is a great idea. Opens up so much opportunities depending on the time period chosen. Johnny Nguyen is always great, so I'll be looking forward to this one!

Close Quarters

That is terrible, especially the fact they can't even release an uncut version internationally. I wonder how legally they can be stopped from releasing international versions that are different? Very bad news.

gwailosforever

Theoretically they could release the uncut version internationally, but the filmmakers would be banned from working in Vietnam. They are not in a position to do this

One Armed Boxer

This is depressing news, the fact that they've already submitted "multiple versions" of the movie, and every one of them has been rejected, is a sad indicator that if it ever does get a release, it's not going to look anything like the original cut.

odioustrident

Vietnam has a well known problem with bureaucracy - people justifying their own jobs at the expense of others. It's not conducive to any type of investment or business project, and all this bullshit is another example of the same thinking that hurts their own forward progress. America isn't so different but Hollywood slowly eroded the power of these stupid fucks we're talking about.... bureaucracy still has a strong hold here in other fields.

That trailer looks like a throwback to the best of HK / Taiwan chopper fights. Upsetting to say the least.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Oh man, that's brutal. :squigglemouth:

Yes, I feel bad for all the movie fans (myself included) that will be missing out on seeing the filmmaker's original vision. But I feel even worse for everyone that worked on the film. :sad: To put your all into something, then have a bunch of people just walk all over it and deny it's release. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Fingers crossed that they are somehow able to salvage the film.

gwailosforever

Although the film is still currently in limbo due to censorship issues, all four parts of the 'behind the scenes' have now been released and can be seen below.

Part two may be the most interesting for you guys. Focuses on Johnny and from the four minute mark onwards shows some choreography and training.

IowauISLMQc

hVrBH_HYFXA

78GtITHTIck

aULi8aLaSXc

This is depressing. What is up with the martial arts movie industry these days? So many unnecessary problems occurring.

Archived