Who is the greatest?

Omni Dragon

Who is the greatest person who's been involved in KF/MA films? If an individual is possible?

Who do you guy's think? Maybe list who best certain skills?(maybe hard to say due to styles)

I was think maybe Sammo as he's been a good Actor, Action acting, Director, amazing Action Director. In the Swordplay's, Bashers, Shapes, New Wave & 21st Century. I personally Don't like the all of the comedy though. He may not be the best partially anything maybe AC but he seems to have good all round skills.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a short list of greatest, like 5?

5) Yuen Woo Ping- for advancing HK Action to Western shores and Hollywood

4)Tang Chia-for his early efforts fulfilling Shaw Stars' action and turning audiences attention toward unarmed choreography.

3) Liu Chia Liang- thank you, thank, you, thank you! ... for putting The Shaolin experience into the foreground of MA Films, and bringing style and shapes-with no bloodshed.

2) Sammo- who else goes out, learns a style, comes back, and teaches his stars? Then combining his creative ingenuity, precision, technical know-how... he should be the greatest. Whether it's camera editing, action choreography, weaponry, comedy, pacing, drama-he knows his stuff.

1) Chang Cheh- without him, all the rest may not have been possible.

于占元 -Yu Jim Yuen

without him we would not have had, Sammo, Jackie, Yuen Kwai, Cliff Lok and all them other Yuens even Yuen Woo Ping and Yuen Chuen Yan trained under him for a while

when it comes to the best....be it contributions to film, choreography, film aesthetics, etc....well it's hard to pinpoint for me.

first off....i put Bruce Lee aside from everything. To me, even though his films are regarded as "kung fu" or "martial art" films, he is a category all in itself, so i seperate his works entirely.

Sammo and the Lau brothers to me seem to be dead on, but we can't forget Jackie, as mainstream as he is........God.....sometimes i feel like a jaded old punk rocker arguing about bands and new bands and old bands and genres and whatnot haha

I would like to think that aside from acting or martial ability, innovators contribute alot to the screen. Sammo and the Lau brothers did that. The Yuens did as well. Man this really is a tough call.

in terms of independent works and contributions to the genre, what about Alex Gouw?

this will anger many a person on here.....but i was thinking. for strictly a North American audience, I feel Bruceploitation and UHF television were a PROFOUND reason the genre generated such an impact elswhere in the world. it may not be along the lines of the original meaning of the thread, but their contributions here generated alot of interests in kung fu movies in general

Archived