'21 Red List' (1994) and 'Revanchist' (1994) - with Alexander Lo Rei

66 Mantis

In my ever expanding search for new stuff, I found myself looking up the Alexander Lo Rei film, "21 Red List". In doing so, I came accross another Lo Rei film from the same year, "Revanchist" that also looks pretty cool. Has anybody seen "Revanchist" and for that matter, how does it compare to "21 Red List"? Me needs to know...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

I have a Red List project coming up. I wanted to have good subs for the film. I have a Revanchist LD and I think there is a mandland DVD. Revanchist is pretty amazing!

Revanchist is also known as Revenge. The mainland DVD has no subs. The Mei ah VCD has subs that are nothing great, but its a VCD. The LD has no subs.

Thanks HAZ, I appreciate the info. As much as I've seen/crammed in over the decades, it always astounds me to come here and find out how much unburied stuff there still is.

One Armed Boxer

ShaOW!linDude just posted a great review for '21 Red List' here -

http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/11581-my-many-minireviews/&do=findComment&comment=238497

Regarding 'Revanchist', it's available on English subtitled DVD from here -

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Revanchist-HK-1994-DVD-TAIWAN-ENGLISH-SUBS-/321645901931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae396f86b

These 2 movies definitely have some continuity between them, as both have characters who are chasing after the same list, the one with the names of the Chinese who are collaborating with the Japanese. The same alley also pops up in both of them (the one described in Fight #6 of ShaOW!linDude's review) for crucial turning points in the plot.

For me personally '21 Red List' is the more entertaining of the two. It's more martial arts heavy, and the action comes more frequently. 'Revanchist' plays more as a gangster drama for the most part, all be it with some crazy scenes of action interspersed throughout. 'Revanchist' does deserve a special mention though, purely based on its final 10 minutes, which are plain balls to the wall insane....imagine the double Beretta heroic bloodshed style of John Woo, mixed with the insane wirework of an early 90's Ching Siu Tung, taking place on a set in which just about every part of it can be destroyed....and those final 10 minutes alone make it worth a watch.

One Armed Boxer

ShaOW!linDude recently followed up his review of '21 Red List' with one of 'Revanchist'. Check it out here - 

Archived