Kids from Shaolin (Jet Li)

Guest Markgway

blue_skies
The Mei Ah DVD's of Kuo's films are all pretty poor.

out of curiosity how are they poor? I only ask because some forum members say the legendary collection has poor picture quality, which while from what I've seen has not been the case in the slightest.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
out of curiosity how are they poor? I only ask because some forum members say the legendary collection has poor picture quality, which while from what I've seen has not been the case in the slightest.

The Kuos I saw were extremely poor dvds. Non anamorphic, motion lagging, terrible subs, contrast out of wack, edge enhancement to such a ludicrous degree that everything has enourmous jagged edges.

Hmm, dunno what kind of equipment you use or how big your screen is, but generally speaking they’re all unrestored / unremastered and most of them can be described as “poor”, at least by today’s viewing standards. There’s several hundred titles ranging from the 60’s to the late 90’s, so of course quality varies tremendously. Personally speaking, I’m glad they exist, the vast majority of those films are simply unavailable in better PQ. Then again, compared to a lot of vid quality drivel that gets “traded” or sold on “fansites” and is only tolerable for people accustomed to watch films on their PC or laptop using free players (or in stamp-sized Youtube windows) almost any title in Joy Sales LC line still shines!

blue_skies
Hmm, dunno what kind of equipment you use or how big your screen is, but generally speaking they’re all unrestored / unremastered and most of them can be described as “poor”, at least by today’s viewing standards. There’s several hundred titles ranging from the 60’s to the late 90’s, so of course quality varies tremendously. Personally speaking, I’m glad they exist, the vast majority of those films are simply unavailable in better PQ. Then again, compared to a lot of vid quality drivel that gets “traded” or sold on “fansites” and is only tolerable for people accustomed to watch films on their PC or laptop using free players (or in stamp-sized Youtube windows) almost any title in Joy Sales LC line still shines!

I'm sure compared to Blu-ray they could be described as poor. I watch on a reasonably large TV and while they are nowhere near comparable to HKL/celestial remasters. They are at least decent to good, certainly very acceptable especially compared to genuinely poor non-anamorphic releases that would look awful if I zoomed in to the picture. I guess I've also had limited exposure to the LC DVDs and most of the ones I've seen have been from the late 70s to mid 90s. The worst thing about these releases for me is the dubious subtitling.

Killer Meteor

There are some strange things going on with the picture at times but what they are, they are ok.

I'm very pleased they released Lady Whirlwind - one of my faves.

Archived