Kids from Shaolin (Jet Li)

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Does anyone know of a DVD which contains the original Mandarin mono and English subs?

I just checked my Mei Ah Remastered Ed. and the 'mono' track is actually an exceptionally tinny downmix (even the 5.1 remix is preferable).

Oddly the Cantonese mono track is genuine and sounds much better.

The Mandarin mono on the original Shaolin Temple movie is genuine so I don't know what happened here?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say go look for a mainland DVD of the film. There have to be alternate releases of this in China. I would imagine that the quality wouldn't be that great, though. Maybe also check out the old release of this before the mei ah remaster. If its mono and the runtimes are the same, you could always add the track to the remastered dvd.

Guest Markgway
Maybe also check out the old release of this before the mei ah remaster. If its mono and the runtimes are the same, you could always add the track to the remastered dvd.

That's a little out of my league...

I once did see a Mainland DVD of this but that looked like the unremastered HK one, if I remember correctly. Might have had mono. And yes, the audio of the Mei Ah RM sounds kinda ‘tinny’, noticed it when I revisited the film last year. But the PQ is absolutely gorgeous, even by today’s standards. So I’d call it an essential purchase since the movie is one of the most beautiful looking Chinese films ever, thanks to its stunning Li river locations (Guanxi province, near Yangshuo and Xingping, arguably one of the most alluring landscapes China has to offer. Back in the 80s when the film was shot it was still paradise, now its swarming with tourists and noisy as hell. There is no monastery near the river as the film pretended though, and certainly no Shaolin temple either!)

Personally I really wasn’t all that distracted by the downmix. Would only really bother me if I’d watch movies with headphones. And I hate doing that!

Killer Meteor

I had one Mei Ah disc, maybe God of Gamblers II, where the remix was the mono track in 5.1, and the "mono" track was a remix!

Guest Markgway
Personally I really wasn’t all that distracted by the downmix. Would only really bother me if I’d watch movies with headphones. And I hate doing that!

I only watch movies with headphones!

As I said previously the Cantonese track is genuine mono and sounds considerably better (enough so that I'd perhaps listen with that track rather than the intended Mandarin).

It's odd that with Jet Li's popularity there hasn't been a solid US or UK release of these very entertaining, martial-packed features.

As I said previously the Cantonese track is genuine mono and sounds considerably better (enough so that I'd perhaps listen with that track rather than the intended Mandarin).

They speak Mandarin in this part of Guanxi so even if the Canto audio track sounds much better, I'd hate to watch this in Cantonese.

BTW, since you say that you watch movies with headphones I begin to understand your gripes about missing mono tracks a lil' better now...

Guest Markgway
They speak Mandarin in this part of Guanxi so even if the Canto audio track sounds much better, I'd hate to watch this in Cantonese.

I know, it's a dilemma!

I'm saying I'd perhaps listen to the Cantonese track, but whether I actually could or would is another matter.

I bought the DVD years ago, but never actually watched it ('upgraded' from an older version, can't remember the format).

I was going thru my collection when I sampled the Mandarin 'mono' and was like... WTF??

Strangely the first film is fine.

Why the sequel got buggered is a mystery.

BTW, since you say that you watch movies with headphones I begin to understand your gripes about missing mono tracks a lil' better now...

Try listening to remixes via headphones and you'll cry! :cry:

Guest Markgway
What...? Why...?

I prefer it that way. Every sound is pumped directly into my ears and it doesn't bother anyone else.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Fair enough. To each his own. Now I understand why you are so anal with your audio:smile:

Has this one being released remastered with English subtitles?

Maybe it would be a good idea to read the threads one posts in first, bud. We were discussing the very good Mei Ah remaster of SHAOLIN KIDS for some length here. And like any other Mei Ah disc it comes with English subtitles...

blue_skies
Maybe it would be a good idea to read the threads one posts in first, bud. We were discussing the very good Mei Ah remaster of SHAOLIN KIDS for some length here. And like any other Mei Ah disc it comes with English subtitles...

Ah I misread it:tongue:

are there any images of it and while I think of it, I'm pretty sure there's a remastered version of Jet Li's Shaolin Temple. Can anyone post a link to a picture of it?

edit: Never mind I found some thanks

Tex Killer

Is there something (badly) wrong in eastern heroes release? I do not have it at hand right now, it`s on cabin and not remember about quality, only that it had english dub and had on special feature Jet Li london visit.+ Hard plastic covers...'

It`s my least favourite of Jets shao-lin series. While locations are extremely eye pleasing and fights great, some comedy is quite dire. And that man kissing genitals of baby, yugh..

kingofkungfu2002

Ditto...And I thought it was just me :tongue:

Killer Meteor

KIDS OF SHAOLIN. Mei Ah's DVD of SHAOLIN KIDS is dire.

KIDS OF SHAOLIN. Mei Ah's DVD of SHAOLIN KIDS is dire.

My bad! KIDS OD SHAOLIN, you're right! The Mei Ah DVD's of Kuo's films are all pretty poor.

Guest Markgway
The Mei Ah DVD's of Kuo's films are all pretty poor.

Yeah, the Bronzemen trilogy desperately need better editions... but, ahem, we were talking about Kids from Shaolin......... :tongue:

Archived