The Victim: Last Line in Cantonese?

Guest Markgway

Maybe it's just a mistranslation, or they didn't know how to properly translate 'ham ga tsan'. From memory the subtitles for The Victim weren't all that great.

sifu iron perm

the shaolin Abbot "show&Prove" scene is one of the funniest shits ever!

I only have the Eastern Heroes vhs release of this, any need to upgrade apart from vhs to dvd? lol

Actually, I just checked, and they're dubtitles (which explains a lot).

Not sure if a set of genuine subs exists on home video.

Found this on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cgTLQdk8WQ

Scene in question begins at 87:34.

Figured as much. The old vcd may have theatrical subs at best. If it was subbed.

I've always heard that line as "Chinese people say 'all ham ga tsan'".

Guest Markgway
I've always heard that line as "Chinese people say 'all ham ga tsan'".

...which means "death to your family" (which admittedly sits ill with the scene in question).

Maybe a Canto speaker can clear this up?

OK, update.

"ham ga tsan" literally means "Whole family dead", but this term is normally used to refer to someone who acts like an asshole. The idea is like "He's such an asshole, I wish him and his whole family dead". So "nay gor ham ga tsan" can be translated as "you asshole".

but I'm guessing Sammo simply meant "Whole family dead" in this case.

-

OK, update.

"ham ga tsan" literally means "Whole family dead", but this term is normally used to refer to someone who acts like an asshole. The idea is like "He's such an asshole, I wish him and his whole family dead". So "nay gor ham ga tsan" can be translated as "you asshole".

but I'm guessing Sammo simply meant "Whole family dead" in this case.

-

Yeh that is precisely what he is saying.

You mean this one? ""death to your family"" ? That's the only one I could see.

If so, no. 'lol

It's ... "Whole family dead". One's an insult and the other is just a fact. 'lol

Either way, that film needs a decent release. Can anyone tell me if the Tai Seng subtitles are better than the Eastern Heroes subs? Or is Tai Seng's english dubbed?

Guest Markgway
You mean this one? ""death to your family"" ? That's the only one I could see.

If so, no. 'lol

It's ... "Whole family dead". One's an insult and the other is just a fact. 'lol

The line isn't said as an insult. That wouldn't have made any sense. I took it that the line was meant literally. I mean, surely Leung would've reacted with fury if Old Sammo had called his dear departed 'assholes'? 'Whole family dead' would make sense in that context as a statement. My translation ('death to your family') was also meant as a statement not an insult, but perhaps doesn't read as well. I guess you can be accurate and wrong at the same time. It's funny that a couple of gwailos are debating the nuances of a complex language neither of us speaks.

Either way, that film needs a decent release. Can anyone tell me if the Tai Seng subtitles are better than the Eastern Heroes subs? Or is Tai Seng's english dubbed?

Tai Seng's DVD is dubbed only.

Thanks Shapes.

It's funny that a couple of gwailos are debating the nuances of a complex language neither of us speaks.

This is true. :xd: And the way Shapes has described it makes sense to me now. Sorta.:tongue:

But I was getting my info from my friend who did 100s of great subtitle translations for Tai Seng video. He's fluent in Canto, mandarin and english. None of it was coming from my brain.

-

I thought the more offensive way of saying that sounded more like ham ga ling or something...

Ham ga ling is like saying 'your whole family will go to hell' so yeah, you're correct in a way.

Guest Markgway
I've always wondered how Sammo still survived in The Victim as it looks pretty clear he gets stabbed in the back by Chang Yi's henchmen!

I guess they missed his vital organs... lol

Killer Meteor
I've always wondered how Sammo still survived in The Victim as it looks pretty clear he gets stabbed in the back by Chang Yi's henchmen!

I thought it was supposed to be a fat white priest who just looked like Sammo...?

TibetanWhiteCrane

As much as I love The Victim, it is an uneven piece of filmmaking at best. Never liked the final twist, never liked the anachronistic dracula scene (why not dress up as a classic hopping vampire instead?) and the bathhouse scene I could've done without as well, but other than that, it's still one of Sammo's best indie features.

As much as I love The Victim, it is an uneven piece of filmmaking at best. Never liked the final twist, never liked the anachronistic dracula scene (why not dress up as a classic hopping vampire instead?) and the bathhouse scene I could've done without as well, but other than that, it's still one of Sammo's best indie features.

:bigsmile:I still dont understand the ending,

Never liked the twist??

The twist is the best part! I was like "Woahhhhh!! No way!" when it happened. 'lol

You should try watching "Incredible Kung Fu Master". Now that's a terrible film. :tongue:

-