Jackie Chan DVD Quality Question

TheBigBoss

Hey Guys,

This is my 1st post on the KFC Forums, thanks for having me! I've been a visitor for a while now and finally decided to join so I could comment on posts. But here's my question:

I was at K-Mart recently and found a bunch of random Martial Arts titles on DVD in the bargain bin. For whatever reason a lot of them were Jackie Chan films. The three main ones I had my eyes on were the Jackie Chan: Miramax Classics 8 Film Set, Supercop (Dragon Dynasty) and Magnificent Bodyguards. All of them were dirt cheap ($4.99, $2.99 and $1.99 respectively) but my question quality. I could not find reviews on the Miramax set but I see people talking about how bad the Miramax chan releases are and some quality is lost because of cramming so many films on the 2 discs. Also, I know Dragon Dynasty is usually reliable for their releases but have been canned for not releasing the original version of Supercop. Lastly, the DVD art for Magnificent Bodyguards looks a bit sketchy (almost like a bootleg)

Basically, should I avoid these DVDs or just say whatever and get all 3 due to the ridiculously low prices? I don't want pass on a good deal but I don't want to waste money on garbage, Thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Um....I say get 'em. Couldn't hurt. You may can upgrade down the road. But for $10? What's it gonna hurt, especially if you don't have 'em? Ultimately, it's your call.

(Disclaimer: keep in mind I've not bought a movie in a really, really long time and am merely excited by the prospect.:tongue:)

Jackie Chan: Miramax Classics 8 Film Set, Supercop (Dragon Dynasty) and Magnificent Bodyguards. All of them were dirt cheap ($4.99, $2.99 and $1.99 respectively)

Basically, should I avoid these DVDs or just say whatever and get all 3 due to the ridiculously low prices? I don't want pass on a good deal but I don't want to waste money on garbage, Thoughts?

The dragon dynasty release of Supercop is good IMO. It's got some good extras (interviews, commentary), original language and subtitles, but it's not uncut. However, $2.99 is $2.99. I wouldn't recommend the 8 film set (which I think includes Supercop). I don't even think all of those have anamorphic picture. I purchased a couple of the individual blu-ray releases of these titles by Miramax/Echo Bridge, which were also quite cheap. I have no idea what edition that MB would be.

the Dragon Dynasty releases of Supercop is a very good release. I don't know how much was actually cut but some people will make mountains out of molehills, with only the slightest cut. if you had the previous Miramax DVD of that title you'd see it was a huge improvement! You should buy you that DVD now before someone else snaps it up.

I wouldn't know what to say about the eight film pack as it is exceedingly cheap. But eight films on 2 discs is going to drive the picture quality down. The question is are you fussy about watching movies in good quality? If you have a big TV it's going to look a lot worse.

the Dragon Dynasty releases of Supercop is a very good release. I don't know how much was actually cut but some people will make mountains out of molehills, with only the slightest cut.

"Mountains out of molehills"...? Sorry, but proclamations of this sort show nothing but ignorance or utter cluelessness. We’re talkin’ about a version of a film with 23 cuts and 8 chopped-off minutes, bud.

Thanks for the input! I think I will get Supercop since it seems like the highest quality release out of all 3 I listed but I may just buy all of them because despite quality on some, I am only burning $10 for 10 movies. We shall see, but for starters I think I will definitely pick up Supercop tomorrow or sometime this week for sure

The 8 movie set is on TWO discs and was released by Echo Bridge Home Entertainment. No further questions should be needed on that one.

"Mountains out of molehills"...? Sorry, but proclamations of this sort show nothing but ignorance or utter cluelessness. We’re talkin’ about a version of a film with 23 cuts and 8 chopped-off minutes, bud.

it means blowing things out of proportion.

clearly my comments were not necessarily directed towards this movie per se as some people moan about the slightest cut even animal cruelty, being a mere second of a horse falling or whatever. As I said originally I didn't know how much had been cut out of this movie and admittedly I'm surprised that there's as much as 8 min missing. nevertheless it didn't change how much I enjoyed the film and was thrilled to replace my Miramax DVD with awful picture quality and only English dubbing for the superior DD. Had I known about the cuts and been able to source the region three I would've done at the time. But regardless I'm still happy with the DVD, butchered or otherwise, though given 8 minutes are missing I'll probably still try and locate the R3 DVD at some point.

Killer Meteor
I'm confused it says 8 min of cuts yet the region one is 91:05 min and the region 3 is 95:45 min, both NTSC

If its the old R3, it will be PAL-NTSC so 4% faster.

88:20-91:05

Then, the US credis are rolling much longer in front of black background. This explains the remeining running time difference

Picked up the DD Supercop today. Glad about it. The also stocked some other Jackie Films. Are Dragon Lord or Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin any good?

Also, there's still several copies of the DD Supercop. PM me if you'd like me grab you a copy, I could get it and ship it to you if you pay for it

Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin any good?

I saw this fairly recently and really enjoyed it.:bigsmile:

I can't really comment on Dragon Lord as I can't really remember it. It's currently on my to watch pile.

Archived