Commando (2013)

Drunken Monk

sLIs-4oM3m4&

Personally, I think it looks like something we have seen a million times before but some people might be interested in what it has to offer.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amazing Psycho Per
I agree most of it is similar to what we've seen before, but this move was new to me:

[Jt8qcOSEg-o

b2skMpy-bTM

Looks alot like La Mistica and Torbellino to me...:nerd:

I'll definately give it a try, but I've never been a big Bollywood fan... You know that they are gonna start a song in the middle of a fight with the burly man lead singing with wind in his hair.:cry:

Gracias. Shame it's probably all borrowed moves.

You know that they are gonna start a song in the middle of a fight with the burly man lead singing with wind in his hair.
It's just more movie magic, like choreographed fight scenes.

OK Bollywood is getting into the M.A. scene now it looks pretty good, I'll give it a watch when it comes out.

Yeah Bollywood is beginning to somewhat kick it (no pun intended) in gear with martial arts films. LAHORE is definitely a great variation of BEST OF THE BEST and their Tamil film, MUGAMOODI, had some nice Wing Chun mixed with the costumed hero genre.

One Armed Boxer

Afraid this didn't to anything for me, and disturbingly reminded me of the trailer for the Thai movie 'Sanctuary' - endless shots of slow motion power moves against opponents who just stand there, all of which have been done before. With the exception of the move at 0:57, this looks to be a whole of rehashed action scenes from other movies.

ShaOW!linDude

I understand OAB's point, still I'd give this a watch. There was a lot of slo-mo in that trailer but the takedown at the very end was pretty sweet. And there are some attempts to mimic some of the Chan/Jaa style stunt work.

It's certainly better action than I've seen in my own limited Bollywood viewings. While it may be nothing new to many of us, at least it shows a definitely step up in their game. This may set a new standard for them and open up another venue of MA flicks we can look forward to.

(Wow. Am I optimistic or what?:tongue:)

One Armed Boxer
It's certainly better action than I've seen in my own limited Bollywood viewings. While it may be nothing new to many of us, at least it shows a definitely step up in their game. This may set a new standard for them and open up another venue of MA flicks we can look forward to.

It seems that every now and then there'll be rumblings on the internet of how Bollywood is the new Hong Kong, but personally I don't see it ever happening. Their movies are simply too culturally specific to ever cross over in as big a way as the Hong Kong cinema of old did, even if they do contain some good action scenes.

I once watched a great documentary on Bollywood action which broke down a scene were a guy jumped his motorbike between two carriages on a moving train (love to know what movie it was from)....if the whole movie was made up of action like that I'd be sold, but I can't get past the constant breaking out into song & dance deal that comes along with Bollywood, it just takes me completely out of the movie. Both Yuen Wo Ping & Johnny Tri Nguyen have ventured over there, but even the movies they've worked on didn't make any particular impact amongst us kung-fu movie fans, so I don't expect this movie to be any different.

ShaOW!linDude

The few I've watched, I don't think I'll ever sit thru them again. Musical #'s in an action flick are just stupid. Bollywood action has a very 80's westernized feel to me also.

This is actually the 1st trailer for a film from there that showcased any MA that looked like it may be decently choreographed. Guess that's why I'm open to it.

Their movies are simply too culturally specific [...]
Newer Indian action films, esp. Bollywood ones, can be pretty generic. Indian films are probably only behind Hollywood in global reach, so they're not that culturally specific.

I once watched a great documentary on Bollywood action which broke down a scene were a guy jumped his motorbike between two carriages on a moving train (love to know what movie it was from)[...]
Supposedly it was Dhoom: http://www.scmp.com/node/520698

[...] but I can't get past the constant breaking out into song & dance deal that comes along with Bollywood, it just takes me completely out of the movie.
I feel bad for you and other folks that can't handle a 5-minute musical number like in Hollywood musicals of old, or some HK films from the 80's, or Glee, or....

A 5-minute, highly-choreographed action sequence is equally artificial. But to each their own. I can enjoy them both.

For example:

They can be integrated into the story:

vXLqFUKyzVM

They can be parodies of familar genres:

_T1KNMszUyw

One Armed Boxer
Supposedly it was Dhoom

That's the one! How does the whole movie measure up?

I feel bad for you and other folks that can't handle a 5-minute musical number like in Hollywood musicals of old, or some HK films from the 80's, or Glee, or....

A 5-minute, highly-choreographed action sequence is equally artificial. But to each their own. I can enjoy them both.

I don't debate the similarities between them, they're both crated with same principles - that of the choreography and the timing. But outside of that it's completely different, jazz and heavy metal are created using the same principles as well - sounds and rhythms, but they're not necessarily going to draw the same audience.

I think in a kung-fu movie the fights are very catharatic for an audience, they're usually the climax to a tale of revenge, loss, wrong-doing....you get the idea. Yes we go on and on about the choreography, but it's been mentioned on here a few times before if people just want to watch fights, they can download demonstrations and show-reels off youtube...there's probably the same conversation going on in a Bollywood movie forum which has people saying if they just want to check out the musical numbers then watch music clips on youtube.

Regardless of how artificial a screen fight and a Bollywood dance number are, the context in which they take place within the movies storyline is usually very different, and that's for me why I said for my own personal taste I find the dance numbers take me out of the experience rather than draw me into it more, which is I'm sure what they're supposed to do.

But of course the world would be a boring place if we where all the same!

One Armed Boxer

Twitch have just posted a review of this, although I'm not too sure based on the trailer that I'd agree with the reviewers statement that "Jamwal appears to have developed a unique fighting style that combines elements of kung-fu and jujitsu, with Indian martial art kalaripayattu, dance and acrobatics." But we'll see, this is one that I'll wait to check other peoples opinions before checking out myself -

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/09/fantastic-fest-2013-review-commando---a-one-man-army.html

this movie has decent action the lead has skills and he can kick as well, if you dont like the songs just press the skip button..:xd: thats what i do.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I thoughts the first minutes were pure tongue in the cheek awesomeness.... Like rdenn said the action is overall decent but it's nothing that's never been seen before. The main problem, beside the singing:xd:, is that the movie far overstays it's welcome. At a 2 hours running time it's way too long. If you don't like thai movies stay away. If you do, then it makes for an ok viewing if you keep your finger close to the fast forward button.

A sequel is going to happen. I saw a photo of Jammwal on Facebook in training and he mentioned that he is preparing for Commando 2, so I'm guessing this will happen at the end of the year or next year.

That's good. COMMANDO is an entertaining bollywood actioner with some very unfamiliar moves. I could go without the musical scenes but I guess that's not going to happen.

Archived