Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2: Sword of Destiny (2016)

Drunken Monk

Donnie (joined by his family) and Yuen Woo Ping recently dined together to discuss details surrounding the movie. Shooting is expected to begin in New Zealand this summer, around the same time Yen commits to making Dragon City. Also mentioned is a Hollywood movie Yen turned down to make this movie possible, which is likely to be Priority Run

http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2014/03/20140306-donnie-yen-takes-aim-at-oscars.html

Donnie is always turning down a Hollywood movie. This is why he isn't in any (Expendables, Fast and Furious etc.) :tongue:

Technically, CTHD II is financed by The Weinstein company and Yucaipa Films (with China Film Group in association) so it's a Hollywood movie. :smile2:

I can see why Yen turned down the other movie just to make this though. Look at the careers of Chow Yun-Fat, Michelle Yeoh, and Zhang Ziyi after the original was out.

TheGrimReaper

Only the presence of Donnie and Michelle would make me see this movie - the first was having way too many flying for my taste and despite its accomplishments in cinematography, I couldn't easily gone through the martial arts scenes as at one point I felt like being under bombardment by so many flying aircrafts above.

I'm still an old school fan and I prefer a more grounded approach towards the fighting choreography.

I apologize for being rude and not fully appreciate the movie as one artistic piece, I hope that no fans would hunt me down for these words :wink:

Greetings

One Armed Boxer
Only the presence of Donnie and Michelle would make me see this movie - the first was having way too many flying for my taste and despite its accomplishments in cinematography, I couldn't easily gone through the martial arts scenes as at one point I felt like being under bombardment by so many flying aircrafts above.

I'm still an old school fan and I prefer a more grounded approach towards the fighting choreography.

I apologize for being rude and not fully appreciate the movie as one artistic piece, I hope that no fans would hunt me down for these words :wink:

Greetings

No need to apologize for your opinion, although I don't fully think your complaint against 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' is justified. It's a wuxia movie, and characters being able to fly is pretty much par for the course of this genre. Stating that this is the reason why you didn't like it is a bit like going to watch 'Lord of the Rings', then complaining that you didn't enjoy it because there were too many mythical creatures.

TheGrimReaper

I know it is a wuxia pien movie and I was expecting the flying, but i just dislike the flying in general (in any movie that is), therefore I saw it nevertheless, because I can appreciate a well done movie (the wuxia pien that I liked were Reign of Assassins, Red Cliff & Hero), but here it wasn't my cup of tea I guess, despite its praise in the world.

I very rarely like a wuxia pien movie, just because I prefer an old school battle instead of aviation :)

It was the same with the Godfather trilogy - not up to my personal movie taste (although all of my friends were telling me that I do not know what to watch and that I waste my time with those "silly, cartoonish martial arts movies"), however I know people (with some of them I am a good friend) that doesn't like Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and martial arts movies also, but I accept their opinion and occasionally tease them with a surprise viewing of either "Drunken Master", "Project A", "fist of Legend" or any top class movie from my collection :)

Thanks for your comment and understanding of my personal point.

Greetings

Drunken Monk

It's interesting to read how some articles are attaching a modicum of very early Oscar buzz to this film. I don't see Yuen Woo Ping as an Oscar director at all.

I understand Ang Lee is producing but the fact he isn't at the helm and the film being a sequel pretty much takes it out of the Oscar race already.

Though I'm skeptical, I just hope we get a solid, enjoyable Wuxia film. I'm not expecting anything close to the original but, with Donnie and Woo Ping teaming up again, is it safe to expect that we'll at least, see great fights?

I have to agree with the serious abuse of wires in this movie. Like the scene where Zhang's character steals the sword. She is being pulled up by wires way faster then her legs are moving.

I feel that good wire work should be like what was said in the matrix. You can bend the rules, not break them.

Also, the movie was alright but this seemed more like the western audiences going ga ga over it. Martial arts movie fans have been seeing this type of action and movies for several decades.

I don't think this movie jumpstarted Chow's career in Hollywood. He was well known among the directors and actors who'd watch movies imported from asia. He started off with The Replacement Killers and had several Hollywood movies under his belt by the time Crouching Tiger rolled around.

The only person who seemed to have really benefited in getting their name out to a western audience with this movie was Zhang Ziyi. Hsu Chi turned down the role.

One Armed Boxer
I don't think this movie jumpstarted Chow's career in Hollywood. He was well known among the directors and actors who'd watch movies imported from asia. He started off with The Replacement Killers and had several Hollywood movies under his belt by the time Crouching Tiger rolled around.

I'd agree with this, Chow had already been cranking out Hollywood movies for a couple of years prior to making 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'. If anything you could argue that after its success his career actually took a downturn, seemingly unable to star in a single good movie until a whole 10 years later with the release of 'Let the Bullets Fly'.

The only person who seemed to have really benefited in getting their name out to a western audience with this movie was Zhang Ziyi. Hsu Chi turned down the role.

Interestingly Jet Li also turned down the role of Li Mu Bai in favor of attemtping to break into Hollywood with 'Romeo Must Die'. I'm sure he kicked himself over that one. Chow Yun Fat of course also did the same thing several years later, turning down the role of Zhou Yu in 'Red Cliff', which eventually ended up going to Tony Leung Chiu Wai.

In retrospect I'm kind of glad Jet Li turned it down because I think Chow Yun Fat did a incredible job in the role of Li Mu Bai.

TheGrimReaper
In retrospect I'm kind of glad Jet Li turned it down because I think Chow Yun Fat did a incredible job in the role of Li Mu Bai.

Indeed, Chow Yun Fat simply nailed it in that role. And he and Michelle were the good points in the movie, their relationship, their connection on a spiritual level was very well done and executed. The rest for me was just overdose of bad wires and way too sweet romance for my taste.

Drunken Monk

I genuinely think "Crouching Tiger..." is flawless. I love the wires, the cinematography, the acting, the romance etc. Everything just fits together perfectly. The wires, while exaggerated, have never looked so suited to a film.

One Armed Boxer

Agreed, Chow Yun Fat's role in CTHD is up there with his John Woo & Ringo Lam collaborations, definitely one of his career highlights. Jet Li got his own chance to shine a couple of years later in Zhang Yimou's 'Hero', which also starred Zhang Ziyi, as well as Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Maggie Cheung. Now that was a cast.

Indeed, Chow Yun Fat simply nailed it in that role. And he and Michelle were the good points in the movie, their relationship, their connection on a spiritual level was very well done and executed.

I think if it was anyone else other than Chow Yun Fat playing the role, it wouldn't be such a big deal that Donnie Yen is replacing him. However as many members have expressed, I think he's pretty much irreplaceable in terms of screen presence. Yen may have more MA talent in his little finger than Chow does in his whole body, but in the same token, Chow has more charisma in his little finger than Yen has in his whole body.

People seem to be forgetting that this is a wuxia movie as well, I doubt there'll be much grounded fighting. If you want to check out Yen in a wuxia for a taste of he fares in the genre, check out 'Butterfly & Sword', in which he also co-stars alongside Michelle Yeoh.

TheGrimReaper
I'm also not normally wuxia fan, but I really enjoyed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I went to see it in the cinema because it is quite rare where I live for martial arts movies to get a cinema release & Chow Yun-Fat & Michelle Yeoh were in it. I was most impressed by the cinematography.

Mate, where I live no martial arts movies are ever released in cinema, we get very rarely some dvd releases, but everything now is completely dead. So I quite envy you and your cinema organization for that matter :xd:

Cheers

The film will go into production in August. Actors confirmed for the cast so far are Donnie Yen, Michelle Yeoh, and Xia Zitong (The Monkey King). Nicholas Tse is currently in talks for a major role, possibly as Jen's (played by Zhang Yiyi) son.

Source: http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/nicholas-tse-to-portray-zhang-ziyis-son-in-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-2/

That's quite interesting...maybe Yuen wanted to try something different and just direct. If I remember right, he only co-starred and directed Mismatched Couples, but his brother Brandy was the action director on it. Maybe Yuen will be "action supervisor" with Charlie doing the main choreography, much like he was credited as action director of House of Fury, with the choreographers being his brother Eagle and Deedee Ku.

gwailosforever

Charlie will actually be working as a co-producer and 2nd Unit director, not as an action director. See Charlie's facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/charlie.nct