Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2: Sword of Destiny (2016)

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

Am I the only one unhappy about Yuen Woo Ping directing? I just don't feel as though he has the technical eye for it. "True Legend" wasn't exactly a masterpiece in visuals and I'm just not sure he has what it takes to revisit the visuals of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."

Now, fight wise, I'm sure it'll be impressive and I love the casting, but I'm a little skeptical when it comes to the aesthetic of the film.

gwailosforever
Am I the only one unhappy about Yuen Woo Ping directing? I just don't feel as though he has the technical eye for it. "True Legend" wasn't exactly a masterpiece in visuals and I'm just not sure he has what it takes to revisit the visuals of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."

Now, fight wise, I'm sure it'll be impressive and I love the casting, but I'm a little skeptical when it comes to the aesthetic of the film.

You're not the only one Drunken Monk! No doubt Yuen Woo Pong is one of the greatest action directors around but he's no Ang Lee. Crouching Tiger worked on so many levels besides martial arts like performance, pacing, cinematography, music etc. In fact it was a classy well rounded film in all departments and I wouldn't even lable it as a martial arts movie per se. I have no confidence in Woo Ping outside of martial arts set pieces sadly.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to stand by what I said back in January, I don't think this can be anything but a let down compared to CTHD. Again though, this is coming from someone that loved it.

Totally agree on both the YWP directing and the John Fusco writing parts. YWP seems so enamored lately with seemingly budget-rate CGI and extreme wire work that I don't get excited about seeing his name attached to any project anymore. As for Fusco, the writing in Forbidden Kingdom wasn't horrendous, but didn't do anything to set itself apart from any other typically cliched Chinese story made for American audiences. With James Schamus and CTHD I felt that the script was really top notch and allowed the actors to really shine.

I guess I'm just afraid this will simply fall by the wayside with the myriad of other period action pieces that continue to pour out from HK/China.

gwailosforever
Unfortunately I'm going to have to stand by what I said back in January, I don't think this can be anything but a let down compared to CTHD. Again though, this is coming from someone that loved it.

Totally agree on both the YWP directing and the John Fusco writing parts. YWP seems so enamored lately with seemingly budget-rate CGI and extreme wire work that I don't get excited about seeing his name attached to any project anymore. As for Fusco, the writing in Forbidden Kingdom wasn't horrendous, but didn't do anything to set itself apart from any other typically cliched Chinese story made for American audiences. With James Schamus and CTHD I felt that the script was really top notch and allowed the actors to really shine.

I guess I'm just afraid this will simply fall by the wayside with the myriad of other period action pieces that continue to pour out from HK/China.

You articulated much more eloquently what I was trying to say! :)

OpiumKungFuCracker

Let's just hope it won't be another True Legend, not to say it was a bad movie but not even close to being a classic like CTHD.

lillippa328

i love True Legend....very under-rated on this site IMO

im excited for this...the first CTHD was great i think this will be fine

Tex Killer
I gotta say i hate the first one..

I don`t hate it but not sure do I like it or not...

It has some good things in it..actors are fine, sets and costumes do their job perfectly. Storyline is not bad and I do not exactly loathe wire-fu...But something is lacking.

Movie easy to watch once, but there is nothing to keep coming back.

Secret Executioner

Not sure if Ang Lee being involved is a good thing. I find him to be one of the most overrated directors ever (along with James Cameron).

Drunken Monk

Ang Lee has a hell of a cinematic eye and I rate him pretty highly as a director (ok, so his Hulk film was terrible). More importantly, I think he brings the gravitas to this film. Woo Ping has the action down but I hope Ang Lee can bring some of aesthetic to the production and keep Woo Ping reined in.

shaolindogpaw

Tosh, my old friend, how are you?

Hate to tell you but this is just as much a lame ass sweeping statement and mindless generalization as what got you all in an uproar to begin with, I been watching these movies since the late 70's and like it, so it makes your point mute.

Same here.

I loved Crouching Tiger. I think some fans will say they didn't like because it's hip to be square, or something. It became a phenomenon and people who had never seen an Asian movie before in their lives were talking about it and loving it. I'm a trekkie and I won't admit that I like the new Trek movies to my non Trek freinds who only like it because of the shiny objects and boom boom noises.

but at least they didn't blow sunshine up everyones ass having everyone live happily ever after in the end.

For real.

Shaolindogma
Not sure if Ang Lee being involved is a good thing. I find him to be one of the most overrated directors ever (along with James Cameron).

What?! Ang Lee has made some pretty damn good movies. James Cameron brought us some of the best movies of all time:

The Terminator <---Fucking awesome!

Rambo: First Blood Part II <----Better than the first one.

Aliens <---- They mostly come at night, mostly...

The Abyss <--- best underwater alien movie of all time

Terminator 2: Judgment Day <---- Equally fucking awesome

True Lies <--- If you didn't get a boner during the Jamie Lee Curtis stripper scene then you're a girl.

Titanic <--- essentially a chick flick but a damn good one.

I disliked Avatar because everyone went bonkers over it. It was alright for a Dances With Wolves remake.

You're entitled to your opinion even if it goes against logic.

Secret Executioner

Not a big of the Terminator franchise.

Titanic looks really nice and is quite impressive at times but honestly, it's not my fav' movie dealing with this story - there have been many productions before the James Cameron one and honestly, I much prefer most of these such as the 1943 German film, the 1953 movie (both called Titanic) or A Night To Remember (1958), based on the novel of the same name written by someone who was there that infamous night. There were also some horrible stuff such as 1979 SOS Titanic or the 1990s TV movie. I could go on and on a lot on the 1943 German movie, it has a quite rich history.

I'm not too familiar withthe rest of his movies, except that Avatar was frankly all about looks and nothing about story or whatever. Much like Titanic, it was basically a huge box-office hit mainly because of the hype and the media brain-washing.

Concerning Ang Lee, I never got the appeal of his movies (whether it be CTHD or Life Of Pi) but I enjoyed the Hulk film he made. Go figure.

Shaolindogma

I'm not too familiar withthe rest of his movies, except that Avatar was frankly all about looks and nothing about story or whatever. Much like Titanic, it was basically a huge box-office hit mainly because of the hype and the media brain-washing.

:ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh:

One Armed Boxer
Word is that the Weinsteins will be cutting off Yen from the project due to scheduling conflicts and thereby salary and other conditions. As a result, shooting will be postponed to May. They are currently trying to get Andy Lau to fill in Yen's role

The Weinstein's have released an official statement advising that this isn't true -

"Los Angeles, CA (January 16, 2014)

David Thwaites, producer of the CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON sequel and Harvey Weinstein, Co Chairman of The Weinstein Company issued the following statement: "The article that appeared in Apple Daily regarding our Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel is unequivocally false.

From the moment Crouching Tiger became a reality at The Weinstein Company we designed the project around Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh.

No other offers were ever made to anyone else and we're thrilled to have such icons in our film. We look forward to the start of production in 2014."