Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2: Sword of Destiny (2016)

Drunken Monk

TibetanWhiteCrane

If CTHD was someones introduction to the genre, then I can kinda understand the admiration. But for someone like myself, who has been into HK cinema since the mid 80's, it's just not that impressive. I never saw CYF as a martial arts actor, and had seen MY kick ass in her early action classics, so seeing them flying around in the most blatant and fantastical wire work ever, within this extremely talky and longwinded wuxia tale, was just not very interesting. It's beautifully shot, nice production value and soundtrack, but that's all im gonna give it.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I realize I should've formulated my comment otherwise but I stand by what I wrote.

You have every right not to like it... To make myself more clear I was talking about hating it. There is no logical explanation if you like MA or Wu Xia movies that you can just hate it. There are so many duds out there that are revered for having one good 3 minutes fight.

You can now take a deep breath and go back to enjoying life.:xd:

PS I also think Dark Knight Rises wasn't very good :crossedlips:

Secret Executioner

If the people who don't like genre movies going mainstream - which is the "explanation" behind the hate towards CTHD apparently - how come most (if not all) of us love Bruce Lee's or Jackie Chan's films ? :xd:

If CTHD was someones introduction to the genre, then I can kinda understand the admiration. But for someone like myself, who has been into HK cinema since the mid 80's, it's just not that impressive.

Having seen the likes of Detective Dee, Hero and House Of Flying Daggers before CTHD, I guess there's an explanation as to why I was indeed not much impressed. :squigglemouth:

Killer Meteor

I really like CTHD for its story, music and atmosphere, but I found the majority of the fight scenes a bit odd, I was really conscious of the wires in a way I'm not with the likes of Iron Monkey or Swordsman. I love Hero.

If CTHD was someones introduction to the genre, then I can kinda understand the admiration. But for someone like myself, who has been into HK cinema since the mid 80's, it's just not that impressive.

Hate to tell you but this is just as much a lame ass sweeping statement and mindless generalization as what got you all in an uproar to begin with, I been watching these movies since the late 70's and like it, so it makes your point mute.

I can see where a lot of people wouldn't like here, especially if your not into wuxia, for me I love it all, bashers, shapes, wuxia and fantasy. I think what I really like about CTHD is it has a rounded out story that is few and far between in HK movies, it's a great drama, albeit it drags out in places(like the desert scenes). I'm usually not one for sappy love stories but this hit an emotional level rarely seen, and it doesn't puss out, the main protagonist dies at the end! To bad not in a bloodbath, but at least they didn't blow sunshine up everyones ass having everyone live happily ever after in the end.

Now the movies that came afterward that followed the trend(sadly to this day) progressively

got worse, I liked Hero, except the don't think let the government think for you message, but hated House of Flying Daggers. Oh I also liked Ang Lee's Hulk, but christ does it drag in places, maybe Lee's problem as a director.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Eeeh, no.... I was speaking for myself, hence the wording "myself". I didn't mean all and everyone who has been longtime fans.

If you like the movie, fine.... good for you.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I don't even see CTHD as a martial arts movie because, 1) It's directed by Ang Lee??? 2) It's a romance love story adapted from classic literature.... It's a misunderstood film that's for sure...

I don't even see CTHD as a martial arts movie because, 1) It's directed by Ang Lee??? 2) It's a romance love story adapted from classic literature.... It's a misunderstood film that's for sure...

Dead on!

as a martial arts movie.. its garbage..

as a Romantic soap opera for women.... its pretty darn good :xd:

I have yet to watch this from end to end, so cannot comment either way.

Just never seem to be in the mood for it. One day I will get around to it.

I think kung fu fans often speak up against it because, these days, it goes against the grain of what a great martial arts film is. It's wire heavy, convoluted, pretentious, long and, in places, flat out boring.

However, I never saw it as a kung fu film. It's a fantasy that brings elements of wuxia to the big screen. I love it for it's romance, drama and soundtrack as much as I love it for it's fight sequences.

Whether you love this film or not doesn't really tie in to your opinion on kung fu cinema. It's just a film. Some people will like it and others most certainly won't. Just like any other film -"The Dark Knight Rises" for example.

To me, "Crouching Tiger..." mastered atmosphere. It's RICH to the point of being visual poetry. More so than "Hero," in fact. It just sits nicely with me in every way. But then I like drawn out romances and quiet drama. Hell, "Lost in Translation" is in my top five movies of all time.

Ronny Yu (has he ever directed something good?)

The Bride With White Hair is considered a wu xia classic. And then we have Fearless, which has an amazing story/acting and action that you no longer see in Jet Li's movies.

The Amazing Psycho Per
The Bride With White Hair is considered a wu xia classic. And then we have Fearless, which has an amazing story/acting and action that you no longer see in Jet Li's movies.

Spoke to fast... Forgot about those two that I actually like and own... But still, to me he's been more miss then hit, espacially his abysmal Holywood efforts.

ShaOW!linDude
Where can I find the books in English?? Me want read now!!!!!!!! Oh I'm still on deck to read yours too ShaowLindude, Warrior's son, I'll get to it asap!!!

Yay for me!:tongue:

It's funny as I typically find wuxia films to be a major turn off that I actually enjoy CTHD on a number of levels. I liked the story, characters, sets, cinematography, acting, and direction.

I found the fights to showcase that which was both grounded and fantastical, sort of the best of each at times. Plus, this displayed some swordplay that I thought harkened back to what I saw in old school MA films of the 70's.

Of the films that immediately followed its popularity in the US, I liked HERO (Jet Li) but not compared to HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS, which I found to be more to my liking.

Donnie Yen has been asked to play the lead role, according to recent news reports. No confirmation from him yet.

https://twitter.com/TheGoldenRock/status/310946088662228992

http://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.mtime.com%2F2013%2F03%2F11%2F1508240.html (English translation)

http://news.mtime.com/2013/03/11/1508240.html (original source in Chinese)

Donnie Yen may star in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon sequel

The Hong Kong action star has been offered a role in the sequel to Ang Lee’s internationally-acclaimed film Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

A sequel to director Ang Lee’s internationally-acclaimed film Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon has been confirmed, and Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen is being considered for the male lead.

According to the Hong Kong media, renown Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein had bought the rights for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and filming for the sequel will begin middle of this year.

It was also the production team’s plan to invite Donnie to star in the film and talks between the two parties are underdoing.

If the deal goes through, Donnie will be acting alongside lead actress Michelle Yeoh. Donnie’s role in the sequel is said to replace Chow Yun Fat’s character who died in the first film.

Although Ang Lee had declined to direct the sequel, the production company is still trying to persuade him to take on the role of producer instead.

When reporters contacted Donnie to confirm his casting, he initially appeared surprised that they had caught wind of the news so quickly, but admitted that the production company has approached him and both parties are in discussions.

On the possibility of accepting the role in the sequel, Donnie said, “I would certainly consider carefully, but there are two things that I am concerned about: firstly, my schedule for the year is really packed, and secondly, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is considered a classic so I feel pressured if I were to act in its sequel.”

He declined to comment on how much he is being offered for the role, saying it is a “secret”.

http://entertainment.xin.msn.com/en/celebrity/buzz/asia/donnie-yen-may-star-in-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sequel

Drunken Monk

Surely knowing who the director is will persuade him a little more. Now that Ronny Yu has pulled out I wonder who they're looking to helm.

Donnie Yen Invited to Film “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” Sequel

Ever since The Weinstein Company bought over the movie rights to the Crane-Iron Series <鶴鐵系列> novel, it has been actively preparing the filming of the sequel of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon <臥虎藏龍>. In recent news, it was reported that Harvey Weinstein has also approached Donnie Yen (甄子丹) to take on the lead role of Yu Shu Lien’s (played by Michelle Yeoh 楊紫瓊) fiancé who was assumed to be dead in the first installment.

It is highly possible that the sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon will be based on the fifth book of the Crane-Iron pentalogy, Iron Knight, Silver Vase <鐵騎銀瓶> which follows the love story of Yu Shu Lien, previously portrayed by Michelle Yeoh. In Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Yu Shu Lien could not wholly accept Li Mu Bai’s (played by Chow Yun Fat 周潤發) love because of her loyalty for her deceased fiancé. In the sequel, it is revealed that not only did Yu Shu Lien’s fiancé not die, he will return as a war hero.

Also, the son that Zhang Ziyi (章子怡) bore in the first installment will be switched to a daughter, which is rumored to be played by Fan Bingbing (范冰冰). However, Fan Bingbing’s representative indicated that they were unaware of such news.

David Thwaites of Black Swan fame will take over as director from Ang Lee (李安). Though the latter has declined to direct the sequel, it has been reported that the Weinstein Company is trying to persuade him to come back as the film producer. In order to cater to viewers from all over the world, the film will be produced in two languages – English and Mandarin.

With such a stellar cast, the sequel may just follow the footsteps of its predecessor at the Academy Awards, which is probably the aim of the Weinstein Company. It has been revealed that production is rushed because the company hopes to be able to submit the show in time for the next Academy Awards.

Pressure to Take on Role

With the reported fee of $50 million HKD, Donnie may just give the nod. Donnie said, “Harvey did get in touch with me about 2 months ago. And David also personally came to look for me in Hong Kong but I was busy with filming and we did not have the chance to discuss yet.”

Asked what is the chance of him agreeing to film the sequel of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Donnie said, “Of course, I will thoroughly consider the offer. There are two things that make me hesitate. The first is that my schedule is already very tight this year. The second is that the first film is such a classic and even won the Oscars; I am afraid of the pressure that the predecessor cannot be surpassed.”

Though it was reported earlier that Michelle Yeoh has confirmed to reprise her role as Yu Shu Lien, she denied it. She said through her assistant, “Nothing is confirmed yet. I haven’t even seen a script yet. If it works out, then I will help out.”

http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/donnie-yen-invited-to-film-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sequel/

Drunken Monk

I love that they say "David Thwaites, of 'Black Swan' fame." The bloke has never even directed a film before...or a short...or a commercial...or anything.

He's a producer. Ok, so he's produced a solid film or two (although he's producing the "Robocop" reboot which is reported to have been an absolute shambles) but putting the sequel of such an iconic film in the hands of a first time director just doesn't seem wise to me.

But hey, throw enough money into it, get Donnie on action duties and we might have something fun at least.

One Armed Boxer
If the deal goes through, Donnie will be acting alongside lead actress Michelle Yeoh.

Donnie Yen & Michelle Yeoh as potential lovers has been done before....20 years ago in 'Butterfly & Sword'. If this goes ahead I think it's safe to say it'll be as far away, tonally at least, as you can get from the original....& the story has already been expanded upon with the 2001 TV series.

Yen, Yeoh commit to Crouching Tiger prequel

Production News

The Weinstein Company announced that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II: Green Destiny 臥虎藏龍Ⅱwill start production in March 2014.

The US company confirmed that Michelle YEOH 楊紫瓊 will reprise her role as Yu Shulien opposite Donnie YEN 甄子丹 in the new role of Silent Wolf. The original film's action choreographer YUEN Woo-ping 袁和平 will direct.

The screenplay is by John FUSCO, who previously co-wrote the US-China co-production The Forbidden Kingdom 功夫之王 (2008). It is adapted from the same series of wuxia novels written by WANG Dulu 王度廬 about four generations of knights errant (pictured).

The announcement follows months of contract negotiations between TWC and Yeoh, and a search for a director to take on the role previously occupied by Ang Lee. Other names in the frame had included veteran Hong Kong director Ronny YU 于仁泰, though it is understood that TWC settled on Yuen several weeks ago.

The producers have also been in prolonged negotiations to set up the picture in Malaysia. In addition to being Yeoh's home turf, Malaysia would allow the film to be one of the first to use the new Pinewood Iskandar Malaysia Studios and to access the recently established 30% production rebate.

The original Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, distributed by Sony Pictures, won the Academy Award for best foreign language film. It was also an unexpected commercial success, grossing US$128 million in the US and over US$200 million internationally. It starred Yeoh, Chow Yun-fat and a young Zhang Ziyi.

Source: http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/yen-yeoh-commit-to-crouching-tiger-prequel?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Holy shit! Yuen Woo-Ping, Donnie Yen, and Michelle Yeoh back together? Consider me totally psyched. :nerd: