Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2: Sword of Destiny (2016)

Drunken Monk

OpiumKungFuCracker

Nice, this could be interesting/ is this being release in Asia first or this is a U.S production all the way through like Forbidden Kingdom??

Wasn't they going to make a prequel? With the success of CTHD I'm surprised they didn't, I'd like to see the story before where the Jade Fox kills Chow Yun Fat's master.

I know CTHD gets no love here, but I thought it was a great wuxia, it's beautifully shot and the acting is superb.

ShaOW!linDude
I know CTHD gets no love here, but I thought it was a great wuxia, it's beautifully shot and the acting is superb.

I wholeheartedly agree. I am not a wuxia fan but if I'm gonna watch one, I pop in CTHD. The 2 fight sequences between Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi are just superb.

My vote is in for Slouching Tiger, Hidden Flagon; high-functioning alcoholic Michelle Yeoh saves the day with drunken boxing, but is forced to quit after an intervention, losing all her powers. So Hwang Jang Lee beats her up and she crawls through his legs, ashamed. How will she get her groove back?! :ooh:

Secret Executioner
My vote is in for Slouching Tiger, Hidden Flagon; high-functioning alcoholic Michelle Yeoh saves the day with drunken boxing, but is forced to quit after an intervention, losing all her powers. So Hwang Jang Lee beats her up and she crawls through his legs, ashamed. How will she get her groove back?! :ooh:

LMAO. And what about having Jackie Chan as a drunken master dropping in to take revenge ? :xd:

The worst part is that it could work. I see it as a throw-back to the classic 1970s/1980s drunken boxing movies (with classic actor Wong Chen Li thrown in). A sort of Asian version of what the Expendables movies are to the US actioneers.

Nice, this could be interesting/ is this being release in Asia first or this is a U.S production all the way through like Forbidden Kingdom??

It'll be an entirely US production from the looks of things.

The news is that they're basing it on the fifth book, "Silver Vase, Iron Knight."

OpiumKungFuCracker

You gotta throw in some hot lesbo scene in there with Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Q from Nikita!!!

I hated the first movie..... honestly i could barely make it through the thing once. I love Yoeh, Fat and YWP.. but the movie was just boring and the fights so dull. I dont have faith that Ronnie Yu would make it any better.... but i guess it cant be worse than Ang

Secret Executioner
I hated the first movie..... honestly i could barely make it through the thing once. I love Yoeh, Fat and YWP.. but the movie was just boring and the fights so dull. I dont have faith that Ronnie Yu would make it any better.... but i guess it cant be worse than Ang

You summed up my thoughts on the first CTHD film (I don't hate it, but I couldn't sit through it as I found it too slow-paced). I find this movie overrated, like most of Ang Lee's work - except for The Hulk which I love but nobody else seems to like.

"Crouching Tiger..." is a phenomenal film, in my opinion, and one of the most beautiful movies of my generation. It gets a bad rep from a lot of kung fu films and I actually don't understand why.

Also, I think Ronny Yu is really finding his niche. "Fearless" is superb and "Saving General Yang" looks thoroughly enjoyable. I'm hoping he can really bring something to this project.

The Amazing Psycho Per
"Crouching Tiger..." is a phenomenal film, in my opinion, and one of the most beautiful movies of my generation. It gets a bad rep from a lot of kung fu films and I actually don't understand why.

It gets a bad rep because fanboys hate when theyre stuff go mainstream. So since it had huge international success and was liked by people who don't usually watch the genre, then it must be bad.

I love it. Gorgeous cinematography and great fights. It is the prime exemple that in the right hands, the genre can be more then just pulpy entertainment. I'm sure King Hu would've liked it.

Not so sure about the project though... American produced... By the Weinstein... Ronny Yu (has he ever directed something good?) directing... I can see so many things going wrong... Plus I think Yuen Woo Ping isn't the shadow of the awesome fight choreographer he once was.

I loved CTHD too, but I can understand why some fans don't like it. In regards to a sequel or prequel, I think they missed their opportunity by not going right into production after it was evident CTHD was going to be pretty successful. It also depends on who appears in the film. Michelle Yeoh would help bring a familiar name to non-HK film fans, but the film would have to be really top notch to not be seen as a let-down comparative-wise.

OpiumKungFuCracker
You summed up my thoughts on the first CTHD film (I don't hate it, but I couldn't sit through it as I found it too slow-paced). I find this movie overrated, like most of Ang Lee's work - except for The Hulk which I love but nobody else seems to like.

Interesting you say you like the Hulk, which I thought was one the lesser of the Ang Lee films I enjoyed... CTHD is slow paced because it's contemporary art-house like ballet but with Wuxia/Kung Fu thrown in the mix.. It's definitely one of Ang Lee's best films ever imo...

OpiumKungFuCracker

It's a drama with female leads, of course you won't like it (Sarcasm:tongue:)

OpiumKungFuCracker

Where can I find the books in English?? Me want read now!!!!!!!! Oh I'm still on deck to read yours too ShaowLindude, Warrior's son, I'll get to it asap!!!

It gets a bad rep because fanboys hate when theyre stuff go mainstream. So since it had huge international success and was liked by people who don't usually watch the genre, then it must be bad.

I love it. Gorgeous cinematography and great fights. It is the prime exemple that in the right hands, the genre can be more then just pulpy entertainment. I'm sure King Hu would've liked it.

Not so sure about the project though... American produced... By the Weinstein... Ronny Yu (has he ever directed something good?) directing... I can see so many things going wrong... Plus I think Yuen Woo Ping isn't the shadow of the awesome fight choreographer he once was.

I wouldn't say that's the only reason to not be so into CTHD. A lot of people have a hard time with King Hu, myself included, because his films are just so massive.

Anyone know when he changed his named to Peter Jackson?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, it couldn't just be that I simply don't like the movie, I have to be a fanboy who is to much of a hipster to see my genre films go mainstream......

Jesus motherfucking christ, I am so ass numbingly tired of lame ass sweeping statements and mindless generalizations like this!!!!

You can't say anything bad about the precious masterpiece Dark Night Rises, then you're a whiny bitch, and if you don't bow to the altar of the Crouching Tiger then you're a butt hurt fanboy....

How about just realizing that we have a difference of opinion!

Yeah, it couldn't just be that I simply don't like the movie, I have to be a fanboy who is to much of a hipster to see my genre films go mainstream......

Jesus motherfucking christ, I am so ass numbingly tired of lame ass sweeping statements and mindless generalizations like this!!!!

You can't say anything bad about the precious masterpiece Dark Night Rises, then you're a whiny bitch, and if you don't bow to the altar of the Crouching Tiger then you're a butt hurt fanboy....

How about just realizing that we have a difference of opinion!

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I wasn't too impressed with the original when it came out although I thought the fight scenes were neat. But this is one of those movies that you get introduced to and later catching up and preferring many similar movies in the past. This leads to you being all the more disregarding (or still be showing appreciation) toward the one you got introduced to.

Ronny Yu directing, Woo Ping action choreographing, and writer of The Forbidden Kingdom? I'm not seeing new grounds in the wu xia genre being broken. Do like Peter Chan/Donnie did and you'll get there.