Hara Kiri on Blu 1/22!

waywardsage

Miike's remake of Hara Kiri came out this Tuesday on Blu ray! I was shocked to see nobody discussing it on here. I picked it up but haven't had the chance to check it out. I thoroughly enjoyed his remake of 13 Assassins. I have picked up Animeigo's release of the original and am ever to compare.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

I'd rather watch the original... This new remake I'm not feeling it much as I did with 13 Assassins.. The acting is a little step down in my book...

I also picked it up and thought Tribecca did a good job with the picture quality even though there was little to nothing in the special features.

It's a really good film. It not as good as the original, but still very good. I thought the flasbhack sequences were better handled in this version of the film, and it's a beautifully shot film with a great score.

Still even with the flashback being better, where the oringal soars over the remake were the scenes with Tatsuya Nakadai and Rentaro Mikuni.

Again, a very well made film, but can't touch what the original offered.

Miike is still getting better and better as a filmmaker and I consider him one of the best working today.

Also was that Seizô Fukumoto as one of the Samurai guards at the end of the film? He also got smacked in the face with the wooden sword if that was him.

I wouldn't necessarily agree Miike is getting better. I think he's more uneven than ever before. 10 years ago even a bad Miike would be a moderately entertaining Miike. Now a good Miike is a good Miike, but a bad Miike can be a total snorefest. For 2012, Miike is on both my Top 10 (Lesson of the Evil) and Bottom 10 (For Love's Sake) list.

I haven't seen Harakiri because I'm concerned it may be too faithful to the original. Is it? I don't see the point in seeing a new, lesser version of a terrific classic that I've already seen. In a way, it would hurt the original's rewatch value...

I wouldn't necessarily agree Miike is getting better. I think he's more uneven than ever before. 10 years ago even a bad Miike would be a moderately entertaining Miike. Now a good Miike is a good Miike, but a bad Miike can be a total snorefest. For 2012, Miike is on both my Top 10 (Lesson of the Evil) and Bottom 10 (For Love's Sake) list.

I haven't seen Harakiri because I'm concerned it may be too faithful to the original. Is it? I don't see the point in seeing a new, lesser version of a terrific classic that I've already seen. In a way, it would hurt the original's rewatch value...

I still think it's worth checking out. Even for the sake of comparasion. I still enjoyed the hell out of it, and I don't think it's going to diminish the rewatch value of the original.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't come close to touching the quality of the original, but I knew that was never going to possible.

I will say that they are very similar, yet there are a few major differences. You get a few trademark Miike moments and he makes the violent scenes, well more violent. It still is Miike restrained.

The movie is worth seeing for the score itself and the best Tatsuya Nakadi impersonation I've yet seen.

I just wish he would make more Chanbara films. 13 Assassin's was amazing. He really has tallent for that genre.

Archived