Game of Death - questions on planning

odioustrident

odioustrident

I keep hearing that Bruce changed up the challenge layout for Game of Death several times... but for most of the project he intended to have 7 floors. Do we know what his ideas were for each challenge on these 7 floors?

I have seen the 5 floor pagoda diagram but nothing else.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=4135

6 if you count 'A GROUP OF STUNT MEN' not as a floor inside but in the grounds out side. The 7th was probably something to do with why the gangsters wanted to send them to get rid of the pagodas guards.

Secret Executioner

Never heard of that. Always thought it was to be the 3 fighters used in the released version (epic scenes, I'm convinced GOD could have been one of the absolute greatest films ever made) and some fighters (an important number of karate masters I think) at the bottom of the pagoda.

In the documentary Immortal Dragon - which is very good and very interesting - it was stated that one of the main issues in the making of this movie was the "treasure" at the top of the tower. Apparently, Bruce had several ideas there too and the "treasure" might have had a more spiritual meaning than being material stuff.

odioustrident

6 if you count 'A GROUP OF STUNT MEN' not as a floor inside but in the grounds out side. The 7th was probably something to do with why the gangsters wanted to send them to get rid of the pagodas guards.

I'm referring to a separate proposal where there were 7 floors; Bob Wall was to be the challenge on one of them.

I'm referring to a separate proposal where there were 7 floors; Bob Wall was to be the challenge on one of them.

You have to question almost any of Wall's recollections because he sometimes makes more out of what was actually there-God only knows why. Lazenby was added late and though his personal journal stated Sept. as a start to resume GOD, Lee was thinking of changing numerous plot elements, such as...

1) A huge hulk-like adversary outside the pagoda (possiby Bolo)

2) Accompanying this hulk-like foe, a group of stunt men; 40-50, beginning what was referred to in his notes as THE BIG FIGHT.

3) They were to search for the temple in what was to be a "Martial Village" of some sort, with surrounding pagodas.

4) The film of where the raid is supposed take place is shown to Lee's character along with his 'team' is reviewed at the Boss' lair... This is what the outside material Lee shot was to represent. The Boss had film on everyone taking part in the raid-including Lee, except Kareem, who guarded the top floor, thus THE TEMPLE OF THE UNKNOWN.

5) Bruce was thinking of scrapping Ji Hon Jae's sequence, and replacing him with Angela mao. He also thought of replacing Taky Kimura with his old sifu Wong Shung Leung, who screen tested, with disastrous results; his timing was worse than Ji's.

Secret Executioner

Had heard of those 40-50 fighters. Thought it was a rumor, because 40-50 feels a bit too much... Especially if you add someone like Bolo (who was great in Enter The Dragon, I would love to see more of his movies)

Regarding Kareem, I think all of what Bruce's character knows about him is that he's very tall and has no fear of death (according to footage of a longer Bruce vs Kareem fight posted on youtube, that features a voice over which seems to be a reprise of the review mentionned by The Dragon).

That said, the more I hear of the project, the more I think it could have been one of the very greatest movies ever made.

Killer Meteor
You have to question almost any of Wall's recollections because he sometimes makes more out of what was actually there-God only knows why. Lazenby was added late and though his personal journal stated Sept. as a start to resume GOD, Lee was thinking of changing numerous plot elements, such as...

2) Accompanying this hulk-like foe, a group of stunt men; 40-50, beginning what was referred to in his notes as THE BIG FIGHT.

3) They were to search for the temple in what was to be a "Martial Village" of some sort, with surrounding pagodas.

4) The film of where the raid is supposed take place is shown to Lee's character along with his 'team' is reviewed at the Boss' lair... This is what the outside material Lee shot was to represent. The Boss had film on everyone taking part in the raid-including Lee, except Kareem, who guarded the top floor, thus THE TEMPLE OF THE UNKNOWN.

5) Bruce was thinking of scrapping Ji Hon Jae's sequence, and replacing him with Angela mao. He also thought of replacing Taky Kimura with his old sifu Wong Shung Leung, who screen tested, with disastrous results; his timing was worse than Ji's.

I recall a weird interview with Wall where he claimed the locker room fight in the finished GoD was really him vs. Bruce!

Angela Mao vs Bruce...damn that would have been sexy!

Ji Hon Jae really cannot fight on screen very well. He's ok in GoD because Bruce showcases his locks, but if you see in Hapkido or Fist Of Unicorn (both with more generous choreographers then Bruce), he seems totally uninspiring. And if you've seen A Warrior's Journey, he mangles the English language in a way that makes Jackie Chan seem like John Gielgud!

Ji probably looks in GoD.78 because the editing does a good job at making him and Bruce more equally matched.

sifu iron perm

city on fire had a bullshit but fun read on this subject..

also, a very old Combat magazine had a four page spread dedicated to this rumour with some ideas that rattled my young mind. The Lady Samurai with two swords captured my attention.

The Dragon, what is the name of Ji Han Jae's floor ("gold", "dragon",etc)? And why are all floors called "temple"?

Lee gave each level a name:

Temple of The Tiger- we see Dan sitting in a chair with a tiger's skin beneath his feet, and sign above the area.

Temple of Gold- Ji's level with him wearing a golden sash. Recent details have surfaced his character is a cripple; suffering from a defect in his lower extremities, thus is why he's laying down when the trio approach his level.

Temple of The Unknown- Self explanitory. Kareem has no style... The environment is smallest on his level (he's seven ft tall and that would make it difficult for anyone who faces him to get away from his arm and leg reach) It's very dark (candles create the dim lighting and he is light-sensitive so therefore wears shades to cover this shortcoming) and posseses strength-remember he's in Korea and most of the inhabitants are dwarfed by his size.

He had not named the other levels, however, it's my belief that they were labeled "Temple of" simply because this separated each as if by doctrine or school, points opposing to what Jeet Kune Do was all about. Also the temple in question-Boep jusa, is a World reknowned sight in Asia.

I had a publication from Black Belt 30 yrs ago that had some references, sadly I no longer have it. It was an article where Dan Inosanto gave an interview about his participation in the original story, and the current in which he was being brought back for-the 78' release.

I had a publication from Black Belt 30 yrs ago that had some references, sadly I no longer have it. It was an article where Dan Inosanto gave an interview about his participation in the original story, and the current in which he was being brought back for-the 78' release.

Was he referring to the original notes by Bruce or the 78 release? Maybe Nick Clark can collaborate on this matter?

Everything Wall says I take with a grain of salt...heck it was rumored that he and bruce didn't get along and it's not like he was a great onscreen fighter, so why would bruce have him in a production that would have been crazy fierce. No disrespect, but seriously

Everything Wall says I take with a grain of salt...heck it was rumored that he and bruce didn't get along and it's not like he was a great onscreen fighter, so why would bruce have him in a production that would have been crazy fierce. No disrespect, but seriously

Right. I must say after all these years, and various excerpts from interviews, it's safe to say, many have lied-either making their relationship with Bruce more than it actually was, or lessening te value of his stature and rising stardom. Wall fit that catagory perfectly. Norris and Lewis also, to a degree.

All one has to do is look at the international MA films released after Lee's death-no one has come close to promoting the arts on film, with ideas like he. No one.

For 1972, GAME OF DEATH would have been something the likes of which could have set Martial Arts films in a totally different direction. It's too bad he died before meeting the likes of Wong Cheng Li or collaborate with experts like Pops.

where are you seeing "gunman waiting" written? what about those carpark shots of Bruce in the suit? I've heard contrasting info about whether they were for Game of Death (a fight at the airport parking garage upon arrival) to magazine publicity shots, or even ETD unused footage. coupled with those photos of the outdoor footage from Game, all of this missing footage or possibility of missing footage remains fascinating, not to mention The Big Boss' elusive uncut print

gunmanwaiting.jpg

Wu Ngan (he's the one being kicked by Bruce) said the car park shots at Ocean Terminal were for a Magazine article - April 1972. A lot of shots were taken - a lot more than what is needed for a magazine article.

carpark9.jpg

Right. I must say after all these years, and various excerpts from interviews, it's safe to say, many have lied-either making their relationship with Bruce more than it actually was, or lessening te value of his stature and rising stardom. Wall fit that catagory perfectly. Norris and Lewis also, to a degree.

All one has to do is look at the international MA films released after Lee's death-no one has come close to promoting the arts on film, with ideas like he. No one.

For 1972, GAME OF DEATH would have been something the likes of which could have set Martial Arts films in a totally different direction. It's too bad he died before meeting the likes of Wong Cheng Li or collaborate with experts like Pops.

I totally agree!

thedirtytiger

Can't remember where I heard it, but someone once said that at the top of the pagoda was going to be a mirror and Bruce would see his reflection in the mirror and suddenly come to the understanding that your greatest adversary is yourself, this was the treasure, this knowledge was the key to unlocking your full potential.....can't vouch for the accuracy of this or not though......

greenbamboo

it looks like he had something else planned when he goes back down the pagoda (where the footage ends). he is asked to come back down from the guy he shouted to. e.g. an ambush happens at the end of the film, a big finale.

Archived