Prodigal Son Blu Ray!

Monk Sante

A lot of Sammo's choreographical output was full contact, but I think the PS end fight in particular, was extremely hard on the actors. Biao would have been use to Sammo's way of working, and taking his licks in general, but I really gotta give it to Frankie who was mostly a composer at this time. That had to be tough.

Hell, even a sturdy dude like Beardy use to go home and cry after shooting fight scenes for Sammo.

wow, It always gives me a good laugh to think thats the music guy in that movie, yea, I guess Sammos cast had it pretty hard:tongue:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got mine yesterday from DDD-House and the picture quality for a BR isn't all that. I really was hoping it was going to be more sharper and beautiful but really it wasn't, but still a better picture than some other releases I've seen.

A lot of Sammo's choreographical output was full contact, but I think the PS end fight in particular, was extremely hard on the actors. Biao would have been use to Sammo's way of working, and taking his licks in general, but I really gotta give it to Frankie who was mostly a composer at this time. That had to be tough.

Hell, even a sturdy dude like Beardy use to go home and cry after shooting fight scenes for Sammo.

I really wish I knew more stuff like this. I had no idea that Sammo filmed full contact fights!

TibetanWhiteCrane

It is important to note that Sammo also had his actors and stuntmen go hard on him.... always yelling "more power... more power!!!" when they were kicking and punching him.

I have uploaded a scene from my Universe Laser, Fox and HKL discs. I tried to get them as exact as I could using VLC on the mac. If I ever get a blu player for the mac then I will try to take a picture and upload it unless someone beats me to it.

The Kam & Ronson blu is very close to the image of the Fox disc regarding color/skin tones and sub translation but with a little more screen image on the sides (not as much as the Universe version)*. However, the K & R blu is sharper with more detail (better than the HKL - not by a lot, though).

All and all, I think that the K & R blu is the best version of this movie that I have seen. However, I do prefer the subtitles on the original Universe disc over these. And, as some have pointed out - a downmix soundtrack. However, I could not tell. It sounds the same to me as the other versions that I own. Too bad the original subs and mono soundtrack weren`t included. But, that is the way it is these days.

*(unless my monitor just doesn`t display the image)

post-233-144191894872_thumb.jpg

post-233-144191894875_thumb.jpg

post-233-144191894878_thumb.jpg

The Joy Sales dvd is Progressive scan. So it's like the Fox, but better in that way.

Colours are the worst thing about the Fortune Star print.

The subs on the Universe dvd are excellent. Possibly stolen from Tai Seng.

Yeah, at times the Kam & Ronson blu seemed to be too pink/red on the skin tones, but not all the way through. But, I thought that the HKL skin tones were not correct either. I have never seen the German or Joy Sales dvd. And, I have never seen the movie in the theater so I have no idea what would be the most correct. Not sure why the colors always vary from disc to disc on certain movies. Guess no one knows what it should look like. (haha) Was Sammo not available to ask on this. How hard would it be?

And, it is a pitty about the subs and down-mix. The Universe disc really explained some of the theory that they were teaching.

That is some nasty interlacing on the Fox image.

If you think that is bad then you should see the Universe disc. Its almost unwatchable now compared to the others. It is really blurry during the action scenes if you freeze frame it.

Well, part of the reason for colour-timing differences owes to practices in different industries. For whatever reason, HK films are commonly timed with a green bias, whereas western productions appear to favour a redder one.

Most if not all HKL releases were dubiously retimed with the heavy red bias, and I for one do not think it is anything of an improvement. Of course, they also fudged with other stuff as well; I've replaced most of my HKL discs with the FS remasters owing not only to the colour issues, but weird cropping and aspect ratio skullduggery. I think I read somewhere they were also handed bottom of the barrel materials, and given the flat, dull presentation of some titles in comparison to robust counterparts, its believable.

The subs on the Universe dvd are excellent. Possibly stolen from Tai Seng.

Its possible, but my vhs was English dubbed. Tai Seng released the vhs tape. It says: Tai Seng Video Marketing presents a Century Pacific Entertainment release of a Golden Harvest Production. (haha)

Its possible, but my vhs was English dubbed. Tai Seng released the vhs tape. It says: Tai Seng Video Marketing presents a Century Pacific Entertainment release of a Golden Harvest Production. (haha)

Tai Seng released films twice sometimes. English dubbed and cantonese with subs. So there's probably more than one release. Sometimes they'd release a cantonese version with theatrical burned in subs, and then later on they'd release it again with newly translated dvd subs.

Tai Seng released films twice sometimes. English dubbed and cantonese with subs. So there's probably more than one release. Sometimes they'd release a cantonese version with theatrical burned in subs, and then later on they'd release it again with newly translated dvd subs.

Exactly. Before these movies were released on VHS for sale, they could be rented in pan & scan for my non viewing pleasure. Then, probably mid to late 90`s, titles were getting released in widescreen on VHS. But, not too long after that came the DVD. But, I would end up with an international edit with subs on VHS and the "edited" HK cut on DVD.

Archived