Prodigal Son Blu Ray!

Monk Sante

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As its a Kam and Ronson Blu ray i assume its not going to be proper HD and will probably have added sound FX to the 7.1 remix...hope im wrong but i doubt it.

Against my better judgement, I pre-ordered. I only have the Fox and Megastar/Universe dvd`s. Hope the audio is the original one that I am use to but who knows?!

I don`t understand why people go to the trouble of updating the soundtrack to 20 +yr old movies but don`t give a rats-ass about its video quality.

I will let you guys know how it turns out.

It won`t be a replacement but just another version.

This may be a good place to ask this newbie question, what is the actors name that plays kung fu kings servant? I love that guy! I think he always plays his characters great!!

Guest Markgway
This may be a good place to ask this newbie question, what is the actors name that plays kung fu kings servant? I love that guy! I think he always plays his characters great!!

You mean Peter Chan Lung? He played virtually the same role in Fong Sai-Yuk, IIRC.

You mean Peter Chan Lung? He played virtually the same role in Fong Sai-Yuk, IIRC.

(googled him) Yep!! Thats him!! Thanks, I ve liked him in many roles!!

Killer Meteor

Peter Chan Lung. He was the blond Japanese in Fist Of Fury (boy, did he put on weight!)

Peter Chan Lung. He was the blond Japanese in Fist Of Fury (boy, did he put on weight!)

Prodigal Son was one of the first movies I saw him in, that movie made such an impression on me. Unfortunately I mean I kinda wrote Peter off as a deetdeetdeee!! Him, Lee Hoi San, and the other of the kungfu kings teachers, the guy who speaks with a lisp, (shoot that name out also please!) Was I waay off!! Im not saying Peter is a Lee Hoi San, well I mean he is but in a different way. :nerd:

The Kam & Ronson blu ray just released is probably the best that I have seen it. Though, it is only a hair better than the Fox dvd version. The subs are the exact same; if I am not mistaken. I have this movie on VHS, Universe dvd, Fox, HKL and now Kam & Ronson. The audio sounds the same as the other versions and if there was added sounds or effects, I was unable to tell. But, I do not have surround sound. I just used PS3 and Asus monitor. The weakest link was the subs. They were a lighter white that sometimes made it hard to read them in certain scenes. But, this isn`t my favorite translation anyways. Of course, no extras other than a trailer.

The Fox dvd has a terrible remix, so if the BD sounds the same...

The German dvd mentioned by John is excellent: original mono + Fortune Star transfer + Eng subs.

Guest Markgway
The German dvd mentioned by John is excellent: original mono + Fortune Star transfer + Eng subs.

+1

I just wish they'd also put out The Magnificent Butcher and The Young Master.

I've yet to dip my toes into the world of Blu-Rays but "The Prodigal Son," if given a good release, might have been my first one.

I think Frankie Chan versus Lam Ching Ying is my favourite piece of choreography of all time.

TibetanWhiteCrane

one of mine too... the end fight is bad ass, but not as crisp and flawlessly executed as the short bout on the bridge.

one of mine too... the end fight is bad ass, but not as crisp and flawlessly executed as the short bout on the bridge.

Add me to the list. Did I read somewhere the end fight was full contact? If so, was it just parts of the end fight? I like the shot of Yuen Biao kicking Yuen Biao. (when YB dubbled for FC) :bigsmile:

TibetanWhiteCrane

A lot of Sammo's choreographical output was full contact, but I think the PS end fight in particular, was extremely hard on the actors. Biao would have been use to Sammo's way of working, and taking his licks in general, but I really gotta give it to Frankie who was mostly a composer at this time. That had to be tough.

Hell, even a sturdy dude like Beardy use to go home and cry after shooting fight scenes for Sammo.

Proud to say that I have this one on 35mm. That's the only way to own it!!!

Yeah?! Do you own a projector and set-up to view 35 mm prints? If so...

You da man!!!

:nerd:

Archived