Bullet to the Head

SamSeed

Some good points, blue skies and I'd also like to add, not enough good talent??? What I do have faith in and might be a savior in the action genre in Hollywood would be the people behind Stunt People? I'm sure ShaOWlindude can tell you all about it!:tongue:

I have faith in the Stunt People, Alpha stunts, the team behind The Raid but they aren't hollywood and if they were we most likely would see what makes them great taken away from them. Judging by the way action films and especially action scenes are filmed and edited, it does appear to be a lost art within Hollywood. As some of the other guys said there's no thrill anymore it just big and empty action. It's all about concealing the lack of quality action and possibly the worst technique and one of the biggest culprits being shaky camera movements. I actually want to see the action unfold not be disorientated

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• TibetanWhiteCrane

• Drunken Monk

• mpm74

Horrid movie. Good action scenes, but as a whole... wow. A mess. Skip.

Can't believe this is the same guy who made 48 Hours.

Daaaaamn. This was one film I thought you'd like. It must be bad. Thanks for the heads up.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Treat it as a glorified B-movie and there's fun to be had in this ultra-violent, old-school, beef-headed actioner.

Okay right now I'm in between renting it or seeing a matinee, shit!!! Guess when I have the time, I'll see this asap!:tongue:

Elemental Fist
You're pretty dead-on with this assumption. I actually liked "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" and "The Avengers" was great but some would argue that they aren't straight up action films. "Skyfall" too.

I know a lot of people liked "Safe." I didn't, personally. Same goes for "Dredd."

But then I loved the "Total Recall" remake and "The Expendables" films, while pretty dreadful, are kind of fun in the action department.

All in all though, Hollywood is really failing when it comes to action. They seem to want to give us huge CGI assisted set pieces instead of quality fights and such.

I'll have to see how "A Good Die to Die Hard" is because it looks like it's pretty much one long action scene and, hey, I love a bit of John McClane.

You didn't like Dredd?:ooh:

I personally thought it was an awesome action film that didn't pull any punches and had one of the better uses of 3D actually.

• Administrator

I personally thought it was an awesome action film that didn't pull any punches and had one of the better uses of 3D actually.

Me too. My son and I thought DREDD kicked ass. A lot of people criticized it for having a similar plot to THE RAID, but that didn't bother us. Other than an absence of any really bizarre looking mutants, it was damn close to the source, the acting was good, the action was crazy, plentiful, and never suffered from shaky cam or epileptic editing. It was a hard R all the way, and it rocked. Plus, like you said, great use of 3D.

Treat it as a glorified B-movie and there's fun to be had in this ultra-violent, old-school, beef-headed actioner.

Yeah I second this. I had fun and got a kick out of seeing Sly looking jacked and kicking ass. I thought Last Stand was better though.

Guest Markgway

I wasn't as taken with DREDD as you guys... but I will say it was well shot compared to the vast majority of modern action movies. So credit where it's due.

I think people try and justify it a little too hard because, in comparison to newer Hollywood actions, it's less gimmicky and actually has good editing. However, for me it was just an average action film with capable acting and not-so-bad shoot-outs.

I don't see why everyone loves it so much. I found everything but the action to be hammed up and silly and, despite what others think, I still felt Karl Urban's Dredd was chuckle worthy. but then it's hard to pull off such a staunch character without seeming daft.

I enjoyed it. I left the theater satisfied. But it was 90 minutes of mild fun and not the action epic people are trying to make it. In my opinion, of course.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Wait a minute??? Isn't Dredd based in the U.K??? From distribution to the Director?? I meant to say the film was shot in Africa but the story/writer from U.K?? Dredd is not a hollywood movie right?

Wait a minute??? Isn't Dredd based in the U.K??? From distribution to the Director?? I meant to say the film was shot in Africa but the story/writer from U.K?? Dredd is not a hollywood movie right?

You're right, actually. The writer and the director are both British and one of productions studios were British as well.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I think people try and justify it a little too hard because, in comparison to newer Hollywood actions, it's less gimmicky and actually has good editing. However, for me it was just an average action film with capable acting and not-so-bad shoot-outs.

I don't see why everyone loves it so much. I found everything but the action to be hammed up and silly and, despite what others think, I still felt Karl Urban's Dredd was chuckle worthy. but then it's hard to pull off such a staunch character without seeming daft.

I enjoyed it. I left the theater satisfied. But it was 90 minutes of mild fun and not the action epic people are trying to make it. In my opinion, of course.

Yeah/ I had the same feeling as you... A fun 90 min action vehicle but nothing special... When it comes to action movies I prefer to have a little one on one combat scene/ don't really care if it just fist fights or martial arts, you gotta have a good fight scene in it.. Even the original Die Hard had a few fight scenes in it... I'm not sure if Dredd has any???

Guest Markgway

DREDD was a South Africa-UK co-production.

Not a Hollywood movie despite having American leads.

Oh, and I thought Karl Urban's 'Dredd' was supposed to be sardonic rather than serious.

The movie did come across as pretty brainless... but surely some of that was intentional??

OpiumKungFuCracker
I'm not too thrilled with that remake of Dredd, I think I'll pass. However, the 1995 movie starring Sly is awesome.

Yep, it sure is..

masterofoneinchpunch

This ended up being an OK action film. I agree with the earlier comments that this is a glorified B film. Too many clichés from the mismatched partners, end warehouse scene to Keegan's some what change of heart. But I was annoyed with Taylor Kwan (Sung Kang) who over and over repeated the fact he had to take Bobo down. His character should have been written a bit more pragmatic instead of annoying.

Sly looks in shape though and that definitely helps with his characterization.

The Last Stand was a much better film for me overall and one I will buy when it comes out. This one probably not.

With Walter Hill, I was not the biggest fan of Last Man Standing though I liked his much earlier efforts like 48 Hours and The Warriors. I had not seen Undisputed, so I came into the theater with no expectations and that did help watching the film.

Quoting the cityonfire review: "As for Walter Hill? I think Quentin Tarantino said it best: “I think directors are like boxers. They need to know when to hang up the gloves.”" I don't really think this is true unless their is a cognitive issue (or severe physical) with the director. Boxer's take physical punishment that can't be undone over time. Directors have so many obstacles from producers interfering to studio bosses etc... that their can be multiple reasons for a film to not be their vision or for them to not put their best effort forward. Also directors, if given the chance, can bring out a great film after bad films. Look at Hitchcock's Frenzy after a couple of so-so films. Look at Kurosawa's Kagemusha, Ran that he did well into his senior years (I do like Derzu Uzala though). I just don't think that statement rings true. I know there are certainly examples of directors burning out early though (I love comeback stories though).

I'm not too thrilled with that remake of Dredd, I think I'll pass. However, the 1995 movie starring Sly is awesome.

I would have likely loved Dredd if not screened day before "the raid". I thought movies were too similar.

As for bullet to the head I was not expecting much (because read several negative opinions) but again, don`t trust others but see for yourself.

Movie was ace (in my opinion). Short running time and lots of good action helped obviously I am not fan of long movies in general.

"guns don`t kill, bullets do".

Cognoscente
On 2/3/2013 at 6:47 AM, mpm74 said:

Horrid movie. Good action scenes, but as a whole... wow. A mess. Skip.

Can't believe this is the same guy who made 48 Hours.

But it's also the same guy who made Another 48 Hrs.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2013 at 4:53 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

This ended up being an OK action film. I agree with the earlier comments that this is a glorified B film. Too many clichés from the mismatched partners, end warehouse scene to Keegan's some what change of heart. But I was annoyed with Taylor Kwan (Sung Kang) who over and over repeated the fact he had to take Bobo down. His character should have been written a bit more pragmatic instead of annoying.

Sly looks in shape though and that definitely helps with his characterization.

The Last Stand was a much better film for me overall and one I will buy when it comes out. This one probably not.

With Walter Hill, I was not the biggest fan of Last Man Standing though I liked his much earlier efforts like 48 Hours and The Warriors. I had not seen Undisputed, so I came into the theater with no expectations and that did help watching the film.

I more or less agree with this assessment. I like The Last Stand better than this as well. This one felt very connect-the-dots for me, with Sung Kang's character mainly existing to call his colleagues, get information, and move our characters to the next plot point.  The action isn't particularly flashy until the end, with a slick (if over-edited) axe-on-axe fight. The introduction of the main bad guys, including Christian Slater's character, was a really good example of how not to do an exposition dump. Very, very clunky. I did enjoy watching Sly Stallone do his thing. But the film on the whole is pretty forgettable.